• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another opportunity missed…
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I have always wanted to visit the Harry Bass Jr. collection at the ANA in Colorado Springs. Well, I waited too long, actually June will be to long. The collection will go to auction. Since I will most likely not be able to visit by June, the best I can do is possible preview the auction when it is announced. That most likely will not happen as well. So I am left with my book.

I wonder if Hansen will go after the 1870 S $3. 

B37ECFDD-4B89-4870-91EC-9BB2B62F8D06.jpegO

Edited by Zebo

ANA could put the Bowers book where the Bass display once appeared. They could also add their plan to identify and prosecute counterfeiters, sellers of fakes and all the other scum involved, and maybe a drawing of the new HQ building on Mount Erebus. (At least it won't look like a double wide trailer...)

I talked with Harry several times not long before his death. He wanted people to gain knowledge from his collection -- all of it - and not sell it for a few pieces of silver.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, RWB said:

I talked with Harry several times not long before his death. He wanted people to gain knowledge from his collection -- all of it - and not sell it for a few pieces of silver.

The sale is very disappointing, but I am sure there are a few out there licking their chops. 

ANA has NOTHING to do with the decision to sell the collection. The Bass Foundation owns it, and is selling it. The ANA merely “houses and displays” the collection. But…. if all you’re about is ANA bashing, who cares about little things like facts, right?

I thought the whole point of the Bass Foundation was to keep the collection together and display it for people to see and learn? I know ANA doesn't own it, they just house it... but surely that is a major loss to the museum. 

Why is the foundation choosing to sell it? 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, VKurtB said:

ANA has NOTHING to do with the decision to sell the collection. The Bass Foundation owns it, and is selling it. The ANA merely “houses and displays” the collection. But…. if all you’re about is ANA bashing, who cares about little things like facts, right?

It’s not the ANAs fault. It’s disappointing that the Bass foundation decided to sell.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:21 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I thought the whole point of the Bass Foundation was to keep the collection together and display it for people to see and learn? I know ANA doesn't own it, they just house it... but surely that is a major loss to the museum. 

Why is the foundation choosing to sell it? 

So they can donate to more non-profits. 

This is truly too bad. I had the absolute pleasure to view the collection twice, and I can fully attest that I will likely never see such an amazing group of coins together again. It's a double edged sword because the proceeds will go to a good cause, but I do wish they could keep the collection together and on display.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, RWB said:

Who's selling it, his kids ?  I am sure they don't need the money, maybe they just want to re-circulate the coins ?

EDIT:  Ignore, it's the foundation.  Sorry.....

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I'm a very avid collector, but expect that the proceeds from the sale will benefit a lot more people than the collection does. We had our chance to view and study the collection over many years and should be grateful to Harry Bass and his foundation for that. 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, Zebo said:

So they can donate to more non-profits. 

I would think that while the coin collection is probably worth tens of millions.....that the Bass Family has even more than that and could pump up the Foundation without selling the collection.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, LINCOLNMAN said:

I'm a very avid collector, but expect that the proceeds from the sale will benefit a lot more people than the collection does. We had our chance to view and study the collection over many years and should be grateful to Harry Bass and his foundation for that. 

Have your sights and pocketbook ready. Should be a wonderful auction.