• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922 satin proof high relief reverse of 1921
1 1

12 posts in this topic

The coin illustrated is a worn, cleaned and counterfeit 1922 HR silver dollar. (The OP's fake also has a bad case of "inscription edema" from eating to much bologna.) It has none of the characteristics of an authentic 1922 HR medal press proof, or one of the pieces from the trial striking on a toggle press. Compare reverse lettering with any 1921 -- they must be identical.

1922 HR rev of 1921 dollars were first discussed in my book Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 Seneca Mill Press LLC (based on an initial mention by R W Julian). Suggest the OP locate a copy at their local library. It is also discussed in the book A Guide Book for Peace Dollars from Whitman Publishing LLC. (David W Lange from NGC also made important contributions to identification and understanding of 1922-date pattern and trial dollars, especially the 1922 medium relief version.)

Here is the 1922 HR obverse from one of the toggle press trial strike coins. Note especially the difference in date position and digit shape.

image.thumb.jpeg.226d45932050d95f712606c536e853ed.jpeg

Edited by RWB

Waste of money to have it graded, but your money and your choice.

The op has also posted this coin on the PCGS forum and the consensus there is that this coin is a counterfeit.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 4/13/2022 at 6:22 PM, Coinbuf said:

The op has also posted this coin on the PCGS forum and the consensus there is that this coin is a counterfeit.

....should be unanimous.

On 4/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, Coinbuf said:

Waste of money to have it graded, but your money and your choice.

Help me out here. The two ‘2’s are radically different in the OP’s coin. They look altered. 

On 4/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, VKurtB said:

Help me out here. The two ‘2’s are radically different in the OP’s coin. They look altered. 

I believe it is a struck counterfeit, but I am far from an expert on this.   The "2"'s are wrong but so is the "one" on the rev and some parts of the rays which seem to be a known look for a modern counterfeit.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, RWB said:

Look at the reverse inscriptions..... especially the words UNITED and PLURIBUS.....

I still don’t get it. Why counterfeit a 1922 plain? They’re common as dirt. 

On 4/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, VKurtB said:

I still don’t get it. Why counterfeit a 1922 plain? They’re common as dirt.

Because since they are common as dirt they don't get looked at closely which makes then easier to pass on to the unsuspecting.  If you can make the fakes at a cost of a dollar or so each and then sell them at around $30 you make a decent profit.  The key is, don't get greedy and you'll be able to sell a lot of them.