• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MS70 And PF70 Coins Being Minted These Days
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Errorists said:

All these high graded coins are flooding the market killing the value of moderns since the 2000s. Rarity is a thing of the past for them.

Funny, on Ike’s in particular, values have been going up. Other series? Less so. 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:25 PM, casman said:

I’d sent the best ones to California and the second best to Florida.  ÇA returned ZERO 70’s, whereas FL returned 45 70’s....

That first line is troubling. Forget whether grading is art or science, what does this say about "professionalism," not to mention the lack of replicable empirical standards a fellow distinguished member periodically cites?

P.S.  Ten years on the Forum... Happy Anniversary!   👍

On 6/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

That first line is troubling. Forget whether grading is art or science, what does this say about "professionalism," not to mention the lack of replicable empirical standards a fellow distinguished member periodically cites?

P.S.  Ten years on the Forum... Happy Anniversary!   👍

...replicable empirical standards...theretically this could be accomplished to where a measurement of wear after production (grade) could be determined, but who would want to...first of all none of the tpgs would pony up the initial expense outlay n no collector would pay the price to obtain it...the bottom line is that this determination yields minimal, if any, value to the end product...resulting effect would be decimalization of grades...furthermore, the end product would not determine the coins worth or value, that is basically determined by the many subjective n not measureable aspects of the coin...not really a distinguished concept...

In 2008 I had 120 2008/Reverse 2007’s.  I’d sent the best ones to California and the second best to Florida.  ÇA returned ZERO 70’s, whereas FL returned 45 70’s.  For that good for you.

That's hard to believe.....hm

On 6/28/2022 at 11:56 AM, World Colonial said:

Not really, as it has nothing to do with collecting.  It's marketing.

Is he saying PCGS = California and NGC = Florida ?  I'm confused.

If it is the same TPG in both states and he's saying there's that discrepancy, that's unreal.  Still hard to believe even 2 separate TPGs could have that dichotomy.

On 6/28/2022 at 1:02 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is he saying PCGS = California and NGC = Florida ?  I'm confused.

Yes, I assume so.  To my knowledge, NGC has consistently assigned higher proportion of 70's which accounts for the price difference.

Regardless, it's marketing and paying for the label.  There is a more noticeable difference in the label than in the coin with these assigned grades, much bigger.

On 6/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, World Colonial said:

Yes, I assume so.  To my knowledge, NGC has consistently assigned higher proportion of 70's which accounts for the price difference.  Regardless, it's marketing and paying for the label.  There is a more noticeable difference in the label than in the coin with these assigned grades, much bigger.

I like NGC's modern labels.  They're colorful and sometimes relevant to the coin in the holder.

On 6/28/2022 at 2:41 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I like NGC's modern labels.  They're colorful and sometimes relevant to the coin in the holder.

I can understand that. 

The decision of what goes on the label, including a 69 or 70, is a business marketing decision.  It's not like NGC couldn't change the mix between the two grades to align with PCGS, if they wanted to do it.

They presumably do not.

I’d sent the best ones to California and the second best to Florida.  ÇA returned ZERO 70’s, whereas FL returned 45 70’s.

If you had sent equal quantities of each "best" and "second best" to the two TPGs, you'd have useful information. As it is, there's no value.

Much like tying to "disprove" a thin market by quoting a few price results - you have to examine a statistically valid sample.

But, I understand your arguments.