• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Central States show

58 posts in this topic

I was just looking the Central States flyer for their upcoming show in a few weeks. I’ve never noticed an admission fee before. Is this something new or have I just missed it in the past? 
  For Kurt and Hog, I was even considering taking the cardinal up for a change. Most likely would drive, but it’s a thought. Forget O’hare.

Anyone going?

Brett Irick has been bugging me to come up since I got certified to judge exhibits in two more classes. I hear the exhibits are a big deal at Central States. But so many shows without an unlimited budget for travel. My closest gas station is at $3.74 this morning, but that only gets me the first 425 miles. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/7/2022 at 3:03 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

How many dealers pre-Covid would go to CS ?  I know the Big Three are FUN, ANA, and Long Beach.

Here is the floor plan - good sized show with many exhibits and an easy to get to location.

EA8E23B5-3F70-4D47-B0F4-FFFA2D95493B.webp

On 4/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

How many dealers pre-Covid would go to CS ?  I know the Big Three are FUN, ANA, and Long Beach.

Central States MAY be a bigger deal than Long Beach. It’s a close call. 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:30 AM, Zebo said:

I was just looking the Central States flyer for their upcoming show in a few weeks. I’ve never noticed an admission fee before. Is this something new or have I just missed it in the past? 
  For Kurt and Hog, I was even considering taking the cardinal up for a change. Most likely would drive, but it’s a thought. Forget O’hare.

Anyone going?

Not sure when Im gonna get to go to a show but Im gonna ride that Cardinal one of these days. Hopfully to a show. That would be an experience. 

They may run me off. Old beardy faced hillbilly come in there.  Probably dont see to many of my kind at those shows. But Im gonna try to go to one anyways. Do they usually have a dress code?

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/7/2022 at 11:31 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Not sure when Im gonna get to go to a show but Im gonna ride that Cardinal one of these days. Hopfully to a show. That would be an experience. 

Not sure how the others fell, but it seems like considering the time of the year, the number of dealers, right after the Holidays....that FUN is THE show to go to if you can just go to one biggie during the year.

The regional shows aren't bad, either.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

They may run me off. Old beardy faced hillbilly come in there.  Probably dont see to many of my kind at those shows. But Im gonna try to go to one anyways. Do they usually have a dress code?

Coin shows have far more folks like you than you’d ever imagine. You’ll fit in just fine. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not sure how the others fell, but it seems like considering the time of the year, the number of dealers, right after the Holidays....that FUN is THE show to go to if you can just go to one biggie during the year.

The regional shows aren't bad, either.

I’d say without reservation that there is only one best - the August ANA show. I’ve been to FUN, and it’s a worthy alternative. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

No, just obey the rules like asking before touching....not having drinks/food placed on their display cases....letting them prioritize a sale over you asking to see a coin.  Pretty basic stuff.

It's also a good time to meet up with folks from the coin forums you belong to.

Yes. You can't wear a dress if you;re wearing a beard. Other than that they don't care much as long as your cash money is well-groomed. Anyway, they might find a bit of authentic honesty refreshing!

On 4/8/2022 at 12:56 PM, VKurtB said:

I’d say without reservation that there is only one best - the August ANA show. I’ve been to FUN, and it’s a worthy alternative. 

ANA is usually held in the Midwest/Chicago....or they change it around ?

I think FUN also benefits that everybody is home in January....and the cold weather folks can justify the expense to get to Florida for a few days.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/8/2022 at 2:47 PM, RWB said:

Yes. You can't wear a dress if you;re wearing a beard. Other than that they don't care much as long as your cash money is well-groomed. Anyway, they might find a bit of authentic honesty refreshing!

I dont know. Thats pretty normal in todays society. :roflmao:

...yes shoes n pants required.....

On 4/8/2022 at 2:27 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

ANA is usually held in the Midwest/Chicago....or they change it around ?

I think FUN also benefits that everybody is home in January....and the cold weather folks can justify the expense to get to Florida for a few days.

It travels some, but not as much as it used to. Right now the plan is for 2 of every 3 in Rosemont, IL. 

On 4/8/2022 at 12:56 PM, VKurtB said:

What makes the ANA show so good?  How are the foreign offerings?

Edited by Zebo

On 4/8/2022 at 8:06 PM, Zebo said:

What makes the ANA show so good?  How are the foreign offerings?

They are outstanding. Best or second best each year. Maybe NYINC is better. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/8/2022 at 10:49 PM, VKurtB said:

They are outstanding. Best or second best each year. Maybe NYINC is better. 

FUN was definitely domestic-focused, but I'd say there was about 20-30 tables/dealers of foreign stuff, excluding domestic guys who also had some foreign coins.  As I recall, there was an International Section off to one side of the FUN hall.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

FUN was definitely domestic-focused, but I'd say there was about 20-30 tables/dealers of foreign stuff, excluding domestic guys who also had some foreign coins.  As I recall, there was an International Section off to one side of the FUN hall.

Both ANA and FUN set up an area for World Coins, but it’s not a requirement to locate there if you’d rather be in the general floor areas. 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I seldom shop the bourse at big shows EXCEPT for foreign material. I mostly go to work for the ANA, go to talks, check out auction lots in person, and exhibit or judge exhibits. 

On 4/8/2022 at 11:03 PM, VKurtB said:

Both ANA and FUN set up an area for World Coins, but it’s not a requirement to locate there if you’d rather be in the general floor areas. 

If you are exclusively foreign coins, it'd be kinda dumb to be surrounded by the domestic guys.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Brett Irick has been bugging me to come up since I got certified to judge exhibits in two more classes. I hear the exhibits are a big deal at Central States. But so many shows without an unlimited budget for travel. My closest gas station is at $3.74 this morning, but that only gets me the first 425 miles. 

Least you won't need to plug in along the way !

On 4/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Not likely. That more or less describes me--usually even wearing a feed store hat--and I never get a second look. At least around here. Of course, at our local show, I'm part of the team setting it up--but if my appearance was an issue, one presumes our club wouldn't have me at the front desk.