• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Central States show

58 posts in this topic

The most meaningful advantage to ANA's August Convention and Bourse is the larger number of specialty and educational presentations. It also attracts better quality exhibits (and exhibit judging including Kurt Bell & Co.) and more display booths from other countries. The Bourse itself is no better nor worse than other large coin shows - it's still a dingy, flat wasteland of concrete, ugly signs and poor PA sound. Like other shows, it suffers from "bail out" after the first day or two, although since it's held in August, families have a better chance of  finding out about the hobby. Floor planning is routine and there's almost no attempt at creative organization or synergy. (Grouping dealers by "type" does not count as creative.)

If you can attend only one large show, try to make it the summer ANA and plan your bourse visits around the educational materials. Those who know everything, or for whom coins are merely profits, can attend any large coin show and notice little difference.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:05 AM, numisport said:

Least you won't need to plug in along the way !

All those people promoting electric vehicles can just bite me. Yes, “Mayor Pete”, I’m challenging YOU.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/9/2022 at 1:04 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you are exclusively foreign coins, it'd be kinda dumb to be surrounded by the domestic guys.

Some guys like to be on the way to the concessions or the rest rooms. 

On 4/9/2022 at 1:22 PM, Zebo said:

So is anyone planning on attending the ANA show in Chicago?

Not I, again too far and too expensive.

If it were someplace interesting, maybe. But in a shopping center way outside Chicago (Rosemont or Rosebud or Rosenkrantz....?) Illinois..? Nope. Got plenty of such places here. Washington Harbor, next to Washington DC would be great and a largely untouched area since the 1960s.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:00 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

FUN was definitely domestic-focused, but I'd say there was about 20-30 tables/dealers of foreign stuff, excluding domestic guys who also had some foreign coins.  As I recall, there was an International Section off to one side of the FUN hall.

I literally just paid for tables and filled the paperwork out for both the summer and next Spring FUN. They do have a section for foreign. They also ask if you want a * by your name in the registry which denotes foreign or a $ which denotes you sell currency. The FUN folks had a booth at the show in Dalton this weekend. 

I expect you all to come buy from me. Dang those tables aren’t cheap 😂

On 4/9/2022 at 8:31 PM, Woods020 said:

I literally just paid for tables and filled the paperwork out for both the summer and next Spring FUN. They do have a section for foreign. They also ask if you want a * by your name in the registry which denotes foreign or a $ which denotes you sell currency. The FUN folks had a booth at the show in Dalton this weekend. 

If I ever make it ill sure check your table out. Not looking good for this year tho. I gotta get caught up on everything. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:41 PM, Hoghead515 said:

If I ever make it ill sure check your table out. Not looking good for this year tho. I gotta get caught up on everything. 

No worries. I am going to do the central states show next year. I heard a lot of guys talking about it this weekend. One guy I love to talk to at shows is from bowling green in your part of the woods. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:48 PM, Woods020 said:

No worries. I am going to do the central states show next year. I heard a lot of guys talking about it this weekend. One guy I love to talk to at shows is from bowling green in your part of the 

I cant wait to come meet everyone. Sounds like alot of fun. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I cant wait to come meet everyone. Sounds like alot of fun. 

And I assure you, you will be just fine showing up however you want to. I literally saw a guy walking around drinking a glass of wine at the show today. I’ve seen some real red necks even by my Alabama standards. I’ve even smelt a few people unfortunately. I heard a guy cuss out a dealer yesterday. A few weeks ago I saw another throw some stuff because he thought a dealer offered him too little to buy them. I promise it isn’t a black tie affair. It’s kind of Jerry Springer like from time to time. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:04 PM, Woods020 said:

And I assure you, you will be just fine showing up however you want to. I literally saw a guy walking around drinking a glass of wine at the show today. I’ve seen some real red necks even by my Alabama standards. I’ve even smelt a few people unfortunately. I heard a guy cuss out a dealer yesterday. A few weeks ago I saw another throw some stuff because he thought a dealer offered him too little to buy them. I promise it isn’t a black tie affair. It’s kind of Jerry Springer like from time to time. 

Its a good thing because even the other hillbillys around here ask what holler I came out of. They say I invented my own language. I just hate to come feel out of place. I usually get made fun of alot when I go to different places. Ive met some really cool people out and Ive seen some joke a little and still be friendly and Ive also met alot of people who take it way to far. Im very different than most folks. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/9/2022 at 2:13 PM, RWB said:

The most meaningful advantage to ANA's August Convention and Bourse is the larger number of specialty and educational presentations. It also attracts better quality exhibits (and exhibit judging including Kurt Bell & Co.) and more display booths from other countries. The Bourse itself is no better nor worse than other large coin shows - it's still a dingy, flat wasteland of concrete, ugly signs and poor PA sound. Like other shows, it suffers from "bail out" after the first day or two, although since it's held in August, families have a better chance of  finding out about the hobby. Floor planning is routine and there's almost no attempt at creative organization or synergy. (Grouping dealers by "type" does not count as creative.)

If you can attend only one large show, try to make it the summer ANA and plan your bourse visits around the educational materials. Those who know everything, or for whom coins are merely profits, can attend any large coin show and notice little difference.

I may attend the WFOM this August for just the reason you mentioned above. I might even take the train. 
  Kurt - you going?

8A1700BE-E85F-45B4-A548-491B3892A31F.jpeg

On 4/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm planning on attending WFM :wishluck: and may hit CS if I have time. It's a little over a 2hr drive, I just need to block off a day where I can escape. :ph34r:

I’ve decided to skip Central States even though I’d like to attend. I wish it would only be two hours for me, I’d be there in a heartbeat, the WFM looks like a possibility, however. Just wish it wasn’t in August. Hot and humid. 

On 4/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, Zebo said:

So is anyone planning on attending the ANA show in Chicago?

You KNOW that I’ll be there. I always am. The spousal unit will also be there. For the first few days, we’ll be at Dealer Registration. Then who knows? The Friday banquet for certain. 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, RWB said:

If it were someplace interesting, maybe. But in a shopping center way outside Chicago (Rosemont or Rosebud or Rosenkrantz....?) Illinois..? Nope. Got plenty of such places here. Washington Harbor, next to Washington DC would be great and a largely untouched area since the 1960s.

Not a shopping center. That’s a half mile south. This is a HUUUUUGE exposition hall. The ANA will likely NEVER come to Washington DC, and frankly is unlikely to ever again come to any east coast city. No east cost cities even respond to the RFP’s any more. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, Zebo said:

I’ve decided to skip Central States even though I’d like to attend. I wish it would only be two hours for me, I’d be there in a heartbeat, the WFM looks like a possibility, however. Just wish it wasn’t in August. Hot and humid. 

The hotels and the skywalks are air conditioned. 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:31 AM, Zebo said:

I may attend the WFOM this August for just the reason you mentioned above. I might even take the train. 
  Kurt - you going?

8A1700BE-E85F-45B4-A548-491B3892A31F.jpeg

Going, working, bringing the wife. She’s a member, too. If I get lucky, my kid will fly in from PA. 

On 4/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, Woods020 said:

Are you counting January as “spring”? That’s optimistic. FUN is January and July, AFAIK. 

For people who are thinking of ANA shows, other than in 2023 (Phoenix / Pittsburgh), get used to Colorado Springs and Rosemont (just outside O’Hare airport). They are about to become “regular but not exclusive sites”. 

On 4/9/2022 at 1:13 PM, RWB said:

Foreign mints too, IF they have gotten past COVID. I’m way past it. Two primary jabs, two boosters. Never been sick with it or because of the jabs. I’m done with masks, though. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Woods020 said:

Wine? Or shine?

On 4/12/2022 at 10:08 PM, VKurtB said:

Wine? Or shine?

It was wine. It was a dealer I didn’t know. Wore a fancy vest every day. And about 4:30 every day of the show he poured a glass of wine and walked around talking. It was interesting. Nice guy. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:52 PM, VKurtB said:

Are you counting January as “spring”? That’s optimistic. FUN is January and July, AFAIK. 

Yes. Winter is more appropriate

On 4/12/2022 at 9:09 PM, Woods020 said:

It was wine. It was a dealer I didn’t know. Wore a fancy vest every day. And about 4:30 every day of the show he poured a glass of wine and walked around talking. It was interesting. Nice guy. 

Got it from Charmy Harker, I bet. Or maybe he’s Charmy’s supplier. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:10 PM, Woods020 said:

Yes. Winter is more appropriate

I just volunteered to be the person manning the ANA table at January FUN. Right behind CONECA’s almost always. It’s an awesome show for dropping off NGC coins for grading. 

Edited by VKurtB

We just had a nighttime low of 33 degrees F in April. This “Deep South” thing is rapidly losing its reputation. It was 20 degrees warmer in PA. I guess 1200 feet of elevation comes at a price. 

Edited by VKurtB