• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1857-p seated half

30 posts in this topic

Russell,

Economy will probably work if speed isn't your main concern. It would need to be better than a 50 to break the $300, atleast in the real world. Price guide who knows. 

As an aside you may benefit from posting some clear, well focused pictures of the coin front and back. Crop the picture so the coin fills as much screen as possible while maintaining focus. It may be better than 50, or it may have issues. Not a bad idea to get some free opinions.

We certainly would like to see the coin if you have some photos to post, we like to look at coins.:)   I would not be too concerned, if NGC feels that the coin needs to be bumped up to the next tier they will do so and then charge you the extra.   But you would usually need to be way off, like sending what is obviously a $1k coin under the econ tier.

And welcome to the forum. 

JP and HOG are right.... XF at best.. there isnt enough facial detail to be AU.  full liberty and not worn and no flag detail.  On the rev the arrows have no detail on the feathers

Edited by JT2
sp

Ok thanks I was concerned about arrow feathers as well but found a NGC graded example with same wear that got AU so I wasn’t sure. I wouldn’t have been surprised if it came back XF I think anything below that I’d be pretty disappointed. 

VF-30. The normal expectation for EF-40 includes at least a bit of mint luster, which I can't detect. What I think knocks it out of EF-40 is the heavy wear spot between the eagle's feet. I just don't see how that can clear the bar for EF.

The 1857 half is not AU. It appears to be a low-end EF or upper VF, depending on details not clear in the photo.

I do not think this is a coin I would submit, that right obv field has a very strange look to it.   I think there is a good chance of a details grade vs a straight grade.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do not think this is a coin I would submit, that right obv field has a very strange look to it.   I think there is a good chance of a details grade vs a straight grade.

I have a specific question on the obverse fields. Are the darker areas where some shmutz is ON the coin, or are the lighter areas where it has been scraped OFF? This matters a lot. 

On 4/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Russell Hardisty said:

This is the other coin I was going to submit. Thoughts on what range grade to expect?

AC08AD99-15DA-4D68-90AB-04B44A497B0E.jpeg

474AB9B0-6868-4157-A21D-37C15F2E77D0.jpeg

These are tough to grade, for me atleast, with the design being incuse. With that said I would say AU. Looks like some wear on the high parts of the headdress. 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:12 AM, Russell Hardisty said:

5362EE2A-EC55-4053-BD97-B48CC8A414B3.jpeg

9068EAA0-CB07-4EAE-9327-A8DAAE36152C.jpeg

I agree with others. A nice album coin but it probably doesn’t make sense to grade. I can’t figure out why the nocks and branch are so worn and the talons aren’t. Is that just a shadow?

On 4/5/2022 at 4:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I have a specific question on the obverse fields. Are the darker areas where some shmutz is ON the coin, or are the lighter areas where it has been scraped OFF? This matters a lot. 

I can not say as far as previous ownership but I’ve had it in a capsule since I bought it from an older gentlemen who told me he’s had it for 30 plus years. There’s bright to deep blue toning around the rim on the obverse that isn’t showing up in that picture.   

On 4/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, Russell Hardisty said:

I can not say as far as previous ownership but I’ve had it in a capsule since I bought it from an older gentlemen who told me he’s had it for 30 plus years. There’s bright to deep blue toning around the rim on the obverse that isn’t showing up in that picture.   

I'm not surprised there is blue that ins't showing. The color balance if off on the yellow side and that will "kill" blue every time. They are opposite each other on the color wheel.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:50 AM, Russell Hardisty said:

Results are in!!!!!!! I am very pleased with the results. 

Congrats on your results. :golfclap:   Glad that my concerns on the half were not an issue.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 4/5/2022 at 4:12 AM, Russell Hardisty said:

5362EE2A-EC55-4053-BD97-B48CC8A414B3.jpeg

9068EAA0-CB07-4EAE-9327-A8DAAE36152C.jpeg

Stained mid-range EF. Nowhere close to "AU" by any grading system. Please buy a good coin grading book and learn from it. :)

On 5/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, RWB said:

Stained mid-range EF. Nowhere close to "AU" by any grading system. Please buy a good coin grading book and learn from it. :)

On 5/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, RWB said:

I had no clue XF 45 was nowhere near AU 50 man was I way off looking for that book now thanks