• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Trip
2 2

88 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, RWB said:

Airlines were once customer friendly,

Not any more and it 'appears' to me that a lot of the mentally challanged are flying unescourted these days.  :pullhair:

On 4/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats why Ive always tried to teach them my failures and to strive to do better. Maybe they can give their children more than what I could provide. I guess at least they never went hungry and have always had a roof over their head tho. I just wish I could have got them more of the things they wanted growing up. Ive plum hijacked this thread.

"Things" are temporary. "Truthful Values" are permanent.

The irony of this thread is that BWI is one of two U.S. airports, (more soon) along with EWR, that has a direct Amtrak connection at the airport. Maybe MDT has finished theirs by now. 

On 4/4/2022 at 9:33 PM, Woods020 said:

You may be waiting a while for an Amtrak station to pop up in A-RAB Alabama. As I am sure you have learned by now they don't like strangers up on sand mountain lol

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we’re Brindlee Mountain. Sand is the next one over. 

On 4/6/2022 at 6:37 AM, DWLange said:

The irony of this thread is that BWI is one of two U.S. airports, (more soon) along with EWR, that has a direct Amtrak connection at the airport.

If the train went to Sarasota that might have worked for us, but I seem to recall that the closest it gets is Sanford, which is somewhere around Orlando. That would be an expensive Uber ride home.

You are correct. I lived not far from that Sanford station and still have a house there in Lake Mary. 

Have they finished the bright line? They were building it last I knew. There is a station in Sanford walking distance from Amtrak to jump on and run to Tampa. That would have gotten you close to home. We could totally piece this thing together with several connections 😂

By the way I would have grabbed a car and drove it as well in your position. Having control of your travels means a lot. 

If I knew you were driving down I-95, I would have flagged you down and dropped off my submission. :roflmao:

glad you all made it safely, I know how those drivers are on 95 these days.

Edited by Zebo

On 4/6/2022 at 6:37 AM, DWLange said:

The irony of this thread is that BWI is one of two U.S. airports, (more soon) along with EWR, that has a direct Amtrak connection at the airport.

If the train went to Sarasota that might have worked for us, but I seem to recall that the closest it gets is Sanford, which is somewhere around Orlando. That would be an expensive Uber ride home.

it goes to Tampa.  Route 91, The Silver Star. Then an Amtrak chartered motorcoach to Sarasota that doesn't leave Tampa until the train gets to Tampa. Amtrak is only inconvenient to those who don't KNOW Amtrak.

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'll file away that information, should this ever happen again.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:35 PM, DWLange said:

I'll file away that information, should this ever happen again.

There are Amtrak people, and then there are normal people. When I need to travel, my preferences in order are, Amtrak, drive, and then fly. I've had the Amtrak app on my phone since 2007. Amtrak doesn't work for me as often as it did when I was Pennsylvania based, but i still check it first. I have come to really hate the flying experience, for many of the reasons you just dealt with. Local gas price check: $3.76  

On 4/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, VKurtB said:

it goes to Tampa.  Route 91, The Silver Star. Then an Amtrak chartered motorcoach to Sarasota that doesn't leave Tampa until the train gets to Tampa. Amtrak is only inconvenient to those who don't KNOW Amtrak.

Whats the closest Amtrak near Ky? Never thought about it before. Is it fairly cheap to take? I would much rather do that than fly. Im in Norther Ky. Between Lexington and Portsmouth Ohio. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Whats the closest Amtrak near Ky? Never thought about it before. Is it fairly cheap to take? I would much rather do that than fly. Im in Norther Ky. Between Lexington and Portsmouth Ohio. 

There aren’t that many routes through there, but more are coming. The Cardinal is a convenient one that goes to Chicago westbound, and the major cities of the northeast eastbound. It runs along the Ohio River for a good long distance and one major station is Cincinnati. 

On 4/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, Hoghead515 said:

You have two main routes - the cardinal and the city of city of new orleans.  

On 4/6/2022 at 3:12 PM, Zebo said:

You have two main routes - the cardinal and the city of city of new orleans.  

Guess where that one terminates southbound. Then if you want to get wild, you can even go to L.A. on the Sunset Limited from there. I have done that one eastbound. Great way to read the stuff picked up at an L.A. area convention. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/6/2022 at 4:11 PM, VKurtB said:

There aren’t that many routes through there, but more are coming. The Cardinal is a convenient one that goes to Chicago westbound, and the major cities of the northeast eastbound. It runs along the Ohio River for a good long distance and one major station is Cincinnati. 

I can drive to Cincinatti in about an hr and a half. Depending on certain conditions. Be nice if they expanded it on to Portsmouth. I can drive there in bout an hr or less all depending. I believe Id enjoy traveling by rail.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Guess where that one terminates southbound. 

Yep - just n case he wanted some good seafood.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Guess where that one terminates southbound. Then if you want to get wild, you can even go to L.A. on the Sunset Limited from there. I have done that one eastbound. Great way to read the stuff picked up at an L.A. area convention. 

Do they let you enjoy drinks on the train?  Such as airplanes often do. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Do they let you enjoy drinks on the train?  Such as airplanes often do. 

Oh heck yeah. Remember, some “interesting” folks ride the trains. Some need to stay “medicated” on whatever. Ritalin, Scotch, Blow, whatever. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:17 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I can drive to Cincinatti in about an hr and a half. Depending on certain conditions. Be nice if they expanded it on to Portsmouth. I can drive there in bout an hr or less all depending. I believe Id enjoy traveling by rail.

There are PLANS to link the Ohio River valley with the southern routes that will use the Tennessee River valley. Nashville, ‘Nooga, Atlanta, Charleston, etc. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:17 PM, Zebo said:

Yep - just n case he wanted some good seafood.

Good morning America, how are you
Said don't you know me, I'm your native son
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done

On 4/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, VKurtB said:

There are PLANS to link the Ohio River valley with the southern routes that will use the Tennessee River valley. Nashville, ‘Nooga, Atlanta, Charleston, etc. 

That would be very cool. Im also really close to Huntington WV. Its not real far from Charelston. I live 7 miles from I64. I can hit it where I live and drive to Huntington in 25 minutes. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:28 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That would be very cool. Im also really close to Huntington WV. Its not real far from Charelston. I live 7 miles from I64. I can hit it where I live and drive to Huntington in 25 minutes. 

Having the Chattanooga Choo-Choo back will be epic. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Good morning America, how are you
Said don't you know me, I'm your native son
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done

Arlo d’man. 

On 4/6/2022 at 4:29 PM, VKurtB said:

Having the Chattanooga Choo-Choo back will be epic. 

Thats beautiful country down in Chattanooga. I worked fairly close to it in Jasper TN back in 2001. Right on Jasper Mountain. They had a place where the made burgers that had over a pound of meat in them. Called them mountain burgers. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 4/4/2022 at 8:15 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats the part Im afraid of.  Ive walked away from several car wrecks. It dont happen often but when planes do go down not to many walk away from those. The jet fuel usually gets them if the sudden stop dont. Ill worry myself into chest pains when he leaves. I constantly worry anyways. 

I thought of you yesterday hog and snapped this pic for you. I will say this was right before we got into a weather front but it wasn’t too bad. Half the flight was beautiful. 

03EB4D17-EA3C-4B81-81ED-518820448402.jpeg

On 4/13/2022 at 6:00 PM, Woods020 said:

I thought of you yesterday hog and snapped this pic for you. I will say this was right before we got into a weather front but it wasn’t too bad. Half the flight was beautiful. 

03EB4D17-EA3C-4B81-81ED-518820448402.jpeg

Thats Very beautiful. Back in 2000 I worked in NYC and they flew us up there. I remember one flight we took we could look down at the clouds. I remember being freaked out anyways. Once we got to the clouds I was thinking, "Aint this high enough." And kept going way up above the clouds. I was tore up like a can of worms. The other planes I flew on didnt go as high as that one did. Do they fly at different altitudes to keep from hitting other planes? Thats what I was thinking it may have been. 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

I love to fly, when I'm at the controls that is.  :)

Are you a pilot? That is seeming to be one thing I always planned to do and haven’t. Not sure if I ever will, but have wanted to for years. 

I have grown to hate travel. Do it all the time and you get nauseated thinking of lugging through another airport, more delayed flights, red eyes after long work meetings. It gets old real real fast.