• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Trip
2 2

88 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2022 at 6:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats Very beautiful. Back in 2000 I worked in NYC and they flew us up there. I remember one flight we took we could look down at the clouds. I remember being freaked out anyways. Once we got to the clouds I was thinking, "Aint this high enough." And kept going way up above the clouds. I was tore up like a can of worms. The other planes I flew on didnt go as high as that one did. Do they fly at different altitudes to keep from hitting other planes? Thats what I was thinking it may have been. 

That and based on weather. The air will be smoother/rougher at different altitudes. But mainly it has to do with air traffic control. Most commercial flights seem to cruise at say 31k-40k feet. I rarely see it go below that unless we really need to find good air. And I think service ceiling on most commercial jets is just over 40k. Like 42/45k. I’m far from a pilot but I’ve heard all about it from living on planes for many years 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

I love to fly, when I'm at the controls that is.  :)

Are you a pilot @Coinbuf. Thats pretty awsome. The owner of the company I work for has a very small plane and helicoptor. Ive never rode in a helicoptor before. He said he would take me a ride sometime. He flew us out popcicles back in the summer one very hot day. Aint to many companies do that. Its pretty cool that you get to fly. 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:38 PM, Woods020 said:

That and based on weather. The air will be smoother/rougher at different altitudes. But mainly it has to do with air traffic control. Most commercial flights seem to cruise at say 31k-40k feet. I rarely see it go below that unless we really need to find good air. And I think service ceiling on most commercial jets is just over 40k. Like 42/45k. I’m far from a pilot but I’ve heard all about it from living on planes for many years 

Thank you. Ive always wondered that. 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats Very beautiful. Back in 2000 I worked in NYC and they flew us up there. I remember one flight we took we could look down at the clouds. I remember being freaked out anyways. Once we got to the clouds I was thinking, "Aint this high enough." And kept going way up above the clouds. I was tore up like a can of worms. The other planes I flew on didnt go as high as that one did. Do they fly at different altitudes to keep from hitting other planes? Thats what I was thinking it may have been. 

You don’t want to fly in the clouds. It’s turbulent in them. There is usually two cloud layers. One lower and one higher. Most of the time you go above both, but it just depends on how high they are 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, Woods020 said:

Are you a pilot? That is seeming to be one thing I always planned to do and haven’t. Not sure if I ever will, but have wanted to for years. 

I have grown to hate travel. Do it all the time and you get nauseated thinking of lugging through another airport, more delayed flights, red eyes after long work meetings. It gets old real real fast. 

I do not have a pilot's license, something I also have wanted to do, but I have flown both fixed wing and rotor.   My brother in law owns a Cessna 172 which I have been behind the controls of as well as his friends 152.   One of the local reginal airports has a helicopter flight school and many years ago they had a special fathers day course, an hour of class and an hour of actual flying with a certified instructor.   Likely a promo that they hoped would bring in a few more students, I do not know if that was the case or not but I thoroughly enjoyed my time behind the stick and pedals of that little Robinson R22 helicopter.  Other than the takeoffs and landings, which I'm not qualified to perform, I have spent well over 20 hours behind the controls; it is an incredibly calming and amazing experience for me, well slightly less calming in the helicopter as those take a lot more attention to fly level and straight.

I also enjoy flying in a commercial jet, but I sure do feel you when it comes to all the lines, waiting and general bs that you have to go through prior to the actual flight.   I felt like going postal the last time my wife and I went to Denver to visit our youngest daughter, it was a much better experience years ago than it is today and the covid protocols just make it that much more of a pain.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 4/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do not have a pilot's license, something I also have wanted to do, but I have flown both fixed wing and rotor.   My brother in law owns a Cessna 172 which I have been behind the controls of as well as his friends 152.   One of the local reginal airports has a helicopter flight school and many years ago they had a special fathers day course, an hour of class and an hour of actual flying with a certified instructor.   Likely a promo that they hoped would bring in a few more students, I do not know if that was the case or not but I thoroughly enjoyed my time behind the stick and pedals of that little Robinson R22 helicopter.  Other than the takeoffs and landings, which I'm not qualified to perform, I have spent well over 20 hours behind the controls; it is an incredibly calming and amazing experience for me, well slightly less calming in the helicopter as those take a lot more attention to fly level and straight.

I also enjoy flying in a commercial jet, but I sure do feel you when it comes to all the lines, waiting and general bs that you have to go through prior to the actual flight.   I felt like going postal the last time my wife and I went to Denver to visit our youngest daughter, it was a much better experience years ago than it is today and the covid protocols just make it that much more of a pain.

Thats awsome. I bet its a great feeling to get behind the controls. Would love to have that experience. 

On 4/13/2022 at 7:55 PM, VKurtB said:

That’s very cool. My dad was a pilot during and after WW2, but not in combat. He was a 4F but flew bare stripped down aircraft from the Midwest to the East Coast for outfitting with avionics and military instrumentation and armament. After the war he was a Cracker Jack  aerial photographer and he took me up with him, WITH THE DOORS OFF! Brrrr!

We lost him in 2017 at age 95, just days before the solar eclipse. It was a trip he was planning to make. 

Sure sorry to hear that about your father. He sounds like he was an amazing person. Lived a good long life. I lost my dad in 2019. Its sure tough losing a father. I think about him bout everyday. He was just 60 years old. Diabetes took him out. He gave half his feet on both sides but he wouldnt give his legs up and lost his battle with it. Died the next morning after his birthday. Heres a picture of him right before he started getting real bad. Hed done lost a few toes when this picture was taken. Lumii_20220413_212236650.thumb.jpg.b50c095768c82aad6712ec5881dc04b8.jpg

On 4/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats awsome. I bet its a great feeling to get behind the controls. Would love to have that experience. 

Keeping in mind that when I have been flying the planes I have it has been under perfect weather conditions, and under those conditions flying is not really all that difficult.   Much like driving a car you look to the horizon to keep yourself flying straight and level just glancing at the gages every now and then, it really is very cathartic for me.   Now the takeoff and landing are the difficult parts, both of those can be nerve racking even in the best of weather.   I guess I just really love to be in the air; flying, hot air balloon, sky diving, and repelling are all a blast.

Yes, I've heard the latest news about the crash of this airline's flights. I think it's a tragedy! I'm sorry you had to spend 18 hours getting home. I'm very afraid of flying, so this incident greatly affected me. I love to travel, but I prefer to do it by car. My last trip was organized by https://www.freetour.com/brussels, which offers various excursions. Ohio is home to one of the world's most beautiful wildlife sanctuaries, renowned for its wildlife diversity. Wildlife lovers belong here. I'm a photographer, so scenic spots are my weakness.

Edited by RyderMccann

On 4/13/2022 at 9:28 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

The solution to this problem is for our government regulators of the airline industry to fine the airlines.  Not small fines… large fines.  Solved.

Cancelled flights ?  If the airlines can't do that, or overbook, then the price will go up across the board.

Airlines are a very unique industry, not affected by the normal supply/demand problems.

[I believe it incumbent on any pilot or would-be pilot of a small plane to study the conclusions reached by the NTSB on the crash of Kennedy's plane enroute to Hyannisport, MA. Now, that's a real eye-opener!]

On 7/2/2022 at 9:22 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I believe it incumbent on any pilot or would-be pilot of a small plane to study the conclusions reached by the NTSB on the crash of Kennedy's plane enroute to Hyannisport, MA. Now, that's a real eye-opener!]

Particularly if one starts off with vestibular deficits affecting balance. 

On 7/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Particularly if one starts off with vestibular deficits affecting balance. 

Friday, at nite, flying east, weather forecast not updated, on crutches in a plane requiring considerable manual dexterity and manipulation, auto-pilot not engaged (no co-pilot, not instrument trained.) Literally flying blind. :whatthe:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: additional of two words.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:29 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Friday flying east, weather forecast not updated, on crutches in a plane requiring considerable manual dexterity and manipulation, auto-pilot not engaged (no co-pilot, not instrument trained.) Literally flying blind. :whatthe:

Visual Flight Rules, VFR, means something. Or at least it’s supposed to. JFK, Jr. found himself in an IFR environment without the tools to handle it. 

Edited by VKurtB

The same situation happened to me, and I understand your frustration. When the pandemic started, I was in Europe and wanted to go to Costa Rica, where I booked the hotel with the LosAltosResort.com site. It was really hard to get a flight because they kept canceling the flights, so I called my hotel and asked them to change the booking date. It took me 2 weeks to reach my hotel. Hopefully, the hotel understood my situation and didn't charge me additional money because I postponed my booking for 2 weeks.

Edited by esmariakrider

On 4/4/2022 at 8:09 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I hate flying. Im very nervous. My 15 year old son is going on a trip to Utah in a few days. Hes in the upward bound program in school and wrote an essay and got picked to go. They only pick a very small number out of around 500 kids. Whoever wanted to go had to write an essay on why they should be picked. He talked about it constantly. He really wanted to go. Hes very religous. He would say his prayers every night and pray to go on the trip to. He ended up getting his wish. Well Im very nervous and have been worrying myself to death about him flying out there. Its got me all tore up. Im not big on him flying. He told me not to worry. Said he trust in the Lord to keep him safe. I trust he will be safe but still worry. I guess thats just part of being a parent. The times I flew I was a nervous wreck. 

How'd the trip go? Is there a separate thread about it i missed? Thanks! 

Hey there, I'm new to this forum, and I stumbled upon your post about your road trip. Sounds like quite the adventure! I can't imagine driving for 18 hours straight.Hey there, I'm new to this forum, and I stumbled upon your post about your road trip. Sounds like quite the adventure! I can't imagine driving for 18 hours straight. Personally, I prefer flying, but sometimes it just doesn't work out, especially with all the flight cancellations lately. I recently found some great deals on business class flights, though, which makes the flying experience so much better. Have you ever considered upgrading to business class? It's definitely worth it if you have a long flight ahead of you.

Edited by DanjumaTela

Oh wow, what a rollercoaster of a trip you had! Dealing with flight cancellations and unexpected delays can be such a hassle, and it's definitely not the most pleasant experience. It's always nice to have a backup plan and rely on more reliable modes of transportation when possible.

Just wanted to jump and give my two cents. What a crazy adventure you all had on your road trip! I can only imagine the frustration of dealing with flight cancellations and unexpected delays.

I can totally relate to that feeling of being "tore up like a can of worms" when flying through the clouds.  And yes, different planes do fly at varying altitudes to maintain a safe distance from each other and avoid collisions. Talking about flying experiences, I remember my trip to Afghanistan a few years ago. It was like traveling to another world! The landscapes, culture, and people were just amazing. As for is Afghanistan safe for tourists, it's essential to research before planning a trip there. While there are some safe areas for tourists, it's always best to stay updated on current conditions and check for travel advisories.

Edited by Raymond56

Flight mishaps can really throw a wrench in your plans, huh? Reminds me of this one time my family and I were heading to a beach getaway. Our flight got cancelled last minute, leaving us stranded at the airport with no idea what to do next.

In a similar move to yours, we decided to rent a van and hit the road. It turned into an unexpected adventure, with pit stops at quirky roadside attractions and impromptu sing-alongs to pass the time.

Speaking of adventures, have you ever considered exploring Savannah? I recently discovered this amazing site called https://tripsavannah.com/savannah-activities that's packed with fun things to do. Maybe it could be your next destination for an unforgettable journey, minus the flight delays!

Edited by Chugaster

On 3/27/2024 at 8:27 AM, Chugaster said:

Flight mishaps can really throw a wrench in your plans, huh? Reminds me of this one time my family and I were heading to a beach getaway. Our flight got cancelled last minute, leaving us stranded at the airport with no idea what to do next.

Welcome to the Forum! :hi:This is an old thread posted by a member who is no longer with us...

It's okay.  You'll get the hang of it.  (thumbsu  

On 3/27/2024 at 7:27 AM, Chugaster said:

Have a drink.