• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury 10c 1926 DDO VP-001

8 posts in this topic

When checking for varieties I came across this 1926 10c VP-001 variety which has a double struck R on the obverse. Sadly this coin suffers from some type corrosion - likely from bad cleaning. Seems to be a rare find. Worth conservation?

IMG_2590.thumb.jpg.c544c5aafb9f4d5e3218a93c08e9a751.jpg

IMG_2591.thumb.jpg.04724fd435ae601163b64aa1108681fb.jpg

IMG_2595.thumb.jpg.fd5be02183ec60da141c94b7d63e15d1.jpg

There does appear to be doubling on the R, but it isn’t consistent with the known DDO you referenced. That is the only known DDO for that date so I venture to guess this is MD or DDD although it doesn’t appear like it at first glance. My guess is die deterioration doubling for now. Can you provide more, clear pics of the coin?

I do agree it has issues. Some deep carbon spotting and it looks like a previous dip attempting to remove them that went a little too long. 

Edited by Woods020

Thanks for checking the references. I'm struggling to get good clear high res shots of the entire coin, although I can get reasonable close ups. Time to invest in a good system for taking photos of coins. Here is a shot of the date showing faint doubling. I've only looked at the reference in the Variety Plus section of the NGC website - I'm guessing Coneca is the place to go for actual ID....

IMG_2596.thumb.jpg.327a3f18d180ae854da470b6ef3eeaa2.jpg

IMG_2597.thumb.jpg.6ba2669e8f503234689a010c92d1b482.jpg

I am leaning towards a late die state that is showing deterioration doubling. The flow lines would help make that case as well. Here are more pics for that known DDO. For example compare the R on the known DDO to yours and notice how the doubling is very different. 

http://www.varietyvista.com/06 Mercury Dime/DDOs 1926.htm

Edited by Woods020

From your photos I agree with @Woods020 your coin is suffering from die deterioration doubling not the known DDO for this date.   If you feel differently then the best course is for you to post this on the CONECA forum and see what replies you get.   Unless this is recognized as a new variety the coin is too far gone to be worth submitting, however I would very much suggest that you soak this coin in acetone to remove the PVC and gunk.   Regardless of what you find out or ultimately do with the coin, getting that stuff off the coin is the right thing to do for it.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, Livio Eleven said:

Thanks for the education! I think @woods020 is spot on - the DDO describes doubling that I don't see on the coin. 

It is very nice to help someone and feel like you actually did help their learning. So so so many newer members get on here and will not listen to any reason. Stick around and we will be happy to help in any way we can. I figured once you saw the additional pics on Variety Vista it would help. NGC Variety Plus is great, but for that one they only had the one pic of a well circulated coin.