• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Denver Mint used tokens inside Mint building
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Thought this letter mint be of interest to members -- especially if you come across an undefined token. (See 2nd post.) Also, notice that the original inquiry was dated almost SIX YEARS before the 1986 reply!

1321007974_19860122DTokensusedbyemployeesinsideMint-crop.thumb.jpg.ad25949636425a51211c216d9726dc8c.jpg

Edited by RWB

Here are the original letter referred to, and the token used at the Denver Mint.

762610463_PagesfromRG104E-77Box4Folder11Misc1985-86-2_Page_1.thumb.jpg.23cb24aee874cacef1756e8003921eff.jpg

897593226_PagesfromRG104E-77Box4Folder11Misc1985-86-2_Page_2.jpg.157fca4de3cd7a3dc91514b6d8ce6fc3.jpg

It is a shame that they did not mint tokens that were labeled as being specifically for use at the mint. I guess using a generic token was a cost-saving measure.

Forum Member Mr. Spud posted a different token that he had purchased that was also used at the mint, although he did not say which branch. It is the 13th post down on this page: Click here. 

Thanks for the cross-ref. The Denver token was valued at 25-cents, so that explains why there's not printed value. Presumably there were either no other tokens in use, or the others were clearly differentiated from this one.

Hmmmm,  Denver Mint. Token.  Used in place of a quarter.  Which is about the same dimension as a small dollar.  Which makes me think...what were the dimensions and weight?  Which makes me think.....how many found their way onto the production floor.   

Which makes me think..................   

I'm just thinking out loud.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I have some tokens that were used by employees of the San Francisco Mint during the 1980s. The reasoning was the same---that coins could not be taken inside the facility. These pieces are generic in nature and do not mention the mint by name. They are sized to replicate nickels, dimes and quarters.

I've located the manufacturer, but not the vending machine contractor at the Denver Mint in 1982-86. Have prepared a short article and will submit for publication.