• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Weight 2007-D Washington $
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, RWB said:

That is the legal specification. Occasional checking samples are taken, but most US circulation coins are "counted" by bulk weight....just as cents, nickels, etc. have been for a long time. Bulk weight is compared to strike counters on presses and weight of rejects. If the comparison shows an average correct weight, then the entire bulk amount is approved for release to Brinks and other counting/rolling companies and issued by the Federal Reserve System.

Got it, thanks!

Whatever the deal is with it, its a very cool find. I like finding abnormal coins. That is a true error. Im not big on those named minor die chip coins such as, " Bad ear George" or "Wart nose Jeff" or any of those other coins like that. But when it comes to errors such as the one you have, like an under weight plancet, I really enjoy those types of errors. 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:08 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Whatever the deal is with it, its a very cool find. I like finding abnormal coins. That is a true error. Im not big on those named minor die chip coins such as, " Bad ear George" or "Wart nose Jeff" or any of those other coins like that. But when it comes to errors such as the one you have, like an under weight plancet, I really enjoy those types of errors. 

I enjoy these anomalies as well.   At this point, I don't know what it is or how it happened. 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:13 PM, tj96 said:

I enjoy these anomalies as well.   At this point, I don't know what it is or how it happened. 

It will be a fun investigation trying to figure out the mystery behind it. If it were me I would almost submit it and see what happens. Wouldnt be the craziest thing I ever done. May pay off to. 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:18 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It will be a fun investigation trying to figure out the mystery behind it. If it were me I would almost submit it and see what happens. Wouldnt be the craziest thing I ever done. May pay off to. 

Submitting it could be a option.  I have a few more rocks to turnover.  I'm looking at TPG'er pop reports, to see if anything similar exist.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, RWB said:

That is the legal specification. Occasional checking samples are taken, but most US circulation coins are "counted" by bulk weight....just as cents, nickels, etc. have been for a long time. Bulk weight is compared to strike counters on presses and weight of rejects. If the comparison shows an average correct weight, then the entire bulk amount is approved for release to Brinks and other counting/rolling companies and issued by the Federal Reserve System.

So I'm wondering if the Denver mint produced any foreign coin back in 2007? 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:33 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

1825701057_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.8f5503391a0117b310f79af42902a0e5.jpg

And there it is!!  We have a winner!!  Thanks Fenntucky!   Is this your coin?  If so, did you find the coin and have it graded or did you buy it slabbed?

I looked through the census report.  Unless I'm missing it, I didn't see it listed.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:58 AM, tj96 said:

Is this your coin?

Nope, did some searching on ebay this morning and found this guy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275021491938?hash=item40088eeee2:g:eyQAAOSwhjNewZNx 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:58 AM, tj96 said:

I looked through the census report.  Unless I'm missing it, I didn't see it listed.

I don't believe that NGC lists errors in the census, so you wouldn't be able to get a feel for how many of these are out there. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

The more I think about this, the more an inner void makes the most sense. The odd relationship between the reverse and the edge can be created by the machine that adds the edge mottos and date. Otherwise the void might be visible. It gets re-wrapped by that machine. 

On 4/2/2022 at 11:19 AM, VKurtB said:

The more I think about this, the more an inner void makes the most sense.

Would have to be one heck of a void to account for an over 2 gram weight loss.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:21 AM, Conder101 said:

Would have to be one heck of a void to account for an over 2 gram weight loss.

Agreed, but that edge looks “re-rolled”, probably during the edge lettering process.