• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Weight 2007-D Washington $
1 1

47 posts in this topic

The sound of this one jumped out at me when it hit the pile.  I also bounced it off the counter top and it sounds distinctively different compared to the other small dollar coins.  The coin sounds very tinny.  It looks like it has the same dimensions of a normal dollar.  The normal small dollars weigh about 8.1 grams.  This one is 6 grams.   

How common are under weight planchets?  Would this one be within tolerance?  Could it be the wrong planchet? Thanks.

IMG_3076.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

Edited by tj96

Are the dimensions correct compared to other dollars?   That seems like too much weight difference to be within tolerance, but I do not know the mint weight specs for this coin.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

Are the dimensions correct compared to other dollars?   That seems like too much weight difference to be within tolerance, but I do not know the mint weight specs for this coin.

I agree with your, to must weight difference tolerance point.  The mint weight specs for this coin is 8.1

The dimensions look and feel the same as other dollars. The coin might be slightly thinner.  Not sure exactly how to measure that accurately. 

I'm wondering if the planchet was suppose to be used for another coin...   I don't know.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:02 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I thought missing clad layer when I saw this but hard to tell from the pics.

You can't tell by these pictures but the Obv. looks like copper.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, l.cutler said:

The golden dollars don't have clad layers do they? I think they are a solid alloy.

I think you're right.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, l.cutler said:

The golden dollars don't have clad layers do they? I think they are a solid alloy.

Negative, they are totally clad. Inner layer pure copper, outer layers manganese brass. (thumbsu Since 2000, all $1 circulating coins have used the same planchet. If I remember correctly. :preach:

Can we see the rim? I don’t know about these manganese concoctions, but many times acid will disproportionately target the copper inner layer of clad coins. Just curious to see if that might be the case here. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:24 PM, Woods020 said:

Can we see the rim? I don’t know about these manganese concoctions, but many times acid will disproportionately target the copper inner layer of clad coins. Just curious to see if that might be the case here. 

Stby....

On 3/31/2022 at 6:24 PM, Woods020 said:

Not sure if this is what you want to see. Hope it helps.  I can't see much of a difference.  Although, the edge lettering doesn't seem centered.

Something else.  I took the coin over to my brother-in-laws to show him.  I bounced it off his garnet countertop. The coin sounds like a cheap chuck e cheese token compared to all the other small dollars.

S20250331_001.jpg

S20220391_001.jpg

S20290331_001.jpg

S20720331_001.jpg

S27720331_001.jpg

Edited by tj96

On 3/31/2022 at 6:13 PM, tj96 said:

Not sure if this is what you want to see. Hope it helps.  I can't see much of a difference.  Although, the edge lettering doesn't seem centered.

S20250331_001.jpg

S20220391_001.jpg

S20290331_001.jpg

S20720331_001.jpg

S27720331_001.jpg

Sorry, but I’m beginning to suspect the scale. There is nothing here explaining a low weight. A hollowed out threaded coin?

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Sorry, but I’m beginning to suspect the scale. There is nothing here explaining a low weight. A hollowed out threaded coin?

Okay, Stby......

On 3/31/2022 at 6:21 PM, tj96 said:

Okay, Stby......

The depth on the reverse looks wonky, as does the last edge pic. Does it really read “1N GOD…” instead of “IN GOD…”?

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Here, you tell me.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

On 3/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, tj96 said:

Here, you tell me.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

Holy c-r-a-p on a cracker. Try unscrewing the halves. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/31/2022 at 6:13 PM, tj96 said:

Something else.  I took the coin over to my brother-in-laws to show him.  I bounced it off his garnet countertop. The coin sounds like a cheap chuck e cheese token compared to all the other small dollars.

S20250331_001.jpg

S20220391_001.jpg

S20290331_001.jpg

S20720331_001.jpg

S27720331_001.jpg

Yep my theory is a no go. 

On 3/31/2022 at 7:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Holy c-r-a-p on a cracker. Try unscrewing the halves. 

You mean a magicians coin.  Nope, it's not the answer.  That was the first place I looked.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:26 PM, VKurtB said:

The depth on the reverse looks wonky, as does the last edge pic. Does it really read “1N GOD…” instead of “IN GOD…”?

No.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:33 PM, tj96 said:

You mean a magicians coin.  Nope, it's not the answer.  That was the first place I looked.

I always wondered why they called them that. 

It seems like it could be a missing clad layer based on the weight and some areas of striking weakness, but I would expect more weakness.  I can't tell from the edge pics if there are 2 layers (missing clad) or 3 (normal).  I'm leaning towards missing clad layer, but cannot say for certain

The photos look obvious to me that the obverse is copper colored and the obverse clad layer is missing.

The offset edge letters kind of confirm it.  But, I have not looked into how the edge lettering machine works on these.

BUT, I guess this could also be some kind of crazy acid etching post mint.

Edited by MorganMan

Does the unusual “depth” below the reverse rim bother anyone else? It seems to have an unusual look. And I do look at a lot of small dollar coins. 

Coins are not weighed individually -- only in bulk. Same for the planchets. I suspect a defective planchet with internal copper oxide or a small void. Either would deaden the "ring" and still allow for a full dimension coin.

[I originally thought the coin had been struck using lower case edge lettering -- and thus "lighter." But that's not the case....]

OK...OK...the immediate above is just minor "humor."

On 4/1/2022 at 3:02 PM, RWB said:

Coins are not weighed individually -- only in bulk. Same for the planchets. I suspect a defective planchet with internal copper oxide or a small void. Either would deaden the "ring" and still allow for a full dimension coin.

Okay, so what's the point of this?

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

That is the legal specification. Occasional checking samples are taken, but most US circulation coins are "counted" by bulk weight....just as cents, nickels, etc. have been for a long time. Bulk weight is compared to strike counters on presses and weight of rejects. If the comparison shows an average correct weight, then the entire bulk amount is approved for release to Brinks and other counting/rolling companies and issued by the Federal Reserve System.