• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MERCURY 10C 41/42 Tier selection question
1 1

32 posts in this topic

That’s a heck of a find raw. Looks full bands as well. NGC attributes this variety for no additional fee. So just choose the tier based on how soon you want it back. Express is obviously quickest and economy is slowest. 

as a side note the only thing that bothers me is the dark spots. This is one I might consider restoration on. Most merc collectors like them blast white, and dark spots turn off most collectors. Not knocking your coin in any way and it actually is good to see you haven’t screwed with it. But sometimes this is how we find them. 

Because of the value of this coin you have to send it standard tier at a minimum, and it is very possible that if genuine and it grades as high as the photo suggests (MS65FB) that NGC will adjust the tier to express and charge you the difference, I say that so you are aware of that possibility.

If this were my coin I would use walkthrough to minimize the time it was out of my control.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/29/2022 at 3:33 PM, Moxie15 said:

There are some things that set me wondering about this coin. I am not proficient enough to say  this is not righteous, but I have my doubts. Where did you get this? 

There is a diagnostic die line on the rev I don't see it in the op's photo, but I am uncertain if that is because it is not there or because of the photo.

On 3/29/2022 at 3:33 PM, Moxie15 said:

There are some things that set me wondering about this coin. I am not proficient enough to say  this is not righteous, but I have my doubts. Where did you get this? 

It is part of a collection my father had. He collected thru about 1979 and was an experienced collector. There is also a 1921D and a 1926S in the collection that seem to be in MSFB condition. He told me he had a 1916D that he managed to loose and was upset to the point where he stopped collecting mercs.

IMG_2523.thumb.jpg.d6f7ae29ec942d354102bc2770780939.jpgIMG_2524.thumb.jpg.76720c7b246f9fb84bccf42b6bc48493.jpg

If you send these in for grading I strongly urge you to use the safest mailing option which is registered mail, it would be a real shame if you had these stolen while in transit.   If you are close to any of the major coin shows you could also drop off the coin in person for grading which will reduce the shipping risk for you.

You got a few thousand dollars there. Like @Coinbufsaid be extremely careful. The value of those I believe I would take them to a coin show in person and drop them off. Myself I wouldnt trust mailing them in. 

On 3/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, Coinbuf said:

Because of the value of this coin you have to send it standard tier at a minimum, and it is very possible that if genuine and it grades as high as the photo suggests (MS65FB) that NGC will adjust the tier to express and charge you the difference, I say that so you are aware of that possibility.

If this were my coin I would use walkthrough to minimize the time it was out of my control.

Good point. I didn’t think about that. What is the cutoff at NGC? I actually don’t know. Is it $300 like PCGS? 

Are these as pale grey in person or is it a white balance issue with the photos. They may have seen a good dip before you got them. But it’s hard to tell from the photos alone. As Coinbuf also said if you can get a really sharp pic of the reverse that fills the screen we can probably check something for you. Just to be safe before you send them in. 

The 21-D is for sure cleaned. I don’t see mechanical cleaning signs in the other two, but I think they have been over dipped. 

Edited by Woods020

On 3/29/2022 at 6:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

There is a diagnostic die line on the rev I don't see it in the op's photo, but I am uncertain if that is because it is not there or because of the photo.

Maybe the OP can zoom in on the location of that die marker.

Edited by tj96

It may be my LED lighting although I think your intuition is probably good. It wouldn't surprise me if these coins had been cleaned back in the '70's. The entire set of  50+ coins has a bright finish with little variation between coins.

Is there a particular part of the coin the would be helpful to see? Here is the '41/42 again in possibly better lighting and a bit more in focus. The more I look at this, the more I feel like it may be counterfeit.....but I'm a complete novice at this..

IMG_2533.thumb.jpg.efcd785b3c795de1d9e16b686684014a.jpgIMG_2537.thumb.jpg.3e7c65dd95f8d8dad4168b0cc34d5f2f.jpg

IMG_2538.thumb.jpg.61bffe9912b8b26918ed26592c051bca.jpg

Edited by Livio Eleven

Nice looking coins. I am no expert for sure, but the 1921 may just be tray scratches from handling. The other sides of the bust and torch look natural no visible scratches but it is hard to tell with a straight on shot. I wish you luck with you submissions. 

On 3/29/2022 at 9:09 PM, Livio Eleven said:

It may be my LED lighting although I think your intuition is probably good. It wouldn't surprise me if these coins had been cleaned back in the '70's. The entire set of  50+ coins has a bright finish with little variation between coins.

Is there a particular part of the coin the would be helpful to see? Here is the '41/42 again in possibly better lighting and a bit more in focus. The more I look at this, the more I feel like it may be counterfeit.....but I'm a complete novice at this..

IMG_2533.thumb.jpg.efcd785b3c795de1d9e16b686684014a.jpgIMG_2537.thumb.jpg.3e7c65dd95f8d8dad4168b0cc34d5f2f.jpg

IMG_2538.thumb.jpg.61bffe9912b8b26918ed26592c051bca.jpg

I could be wrong but I dont think its a counterfeit. Looks good to me but Im not as skilled as thes e other guys at spotting them. It looks good to me. I hope it is legit. Like to see good things work out for people. It would suck if its been cleaned but will still be worth a good little chunk. Hoping the best my friend. 

On 3/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, Livio Eleven said:

IMG_2537.thumb.jpg.3e7c65dd95f8d8dad4168b0cc34d5f2f.jpg

Thank you for this photo, I can now see the correct diagnostic die crack, coupled with the close up of the obv date I'm quite confident that you have a legit genuine coin.   I also agree with @Woods020 the 21-D has the telltale signs of cleaning hairlines across the cheek, left field, and lower bust. and I am sure that it will get a details grade.   It is also possible that this 42/1 may have been cleaned at some point also, that is tougher to say for sure from the photos.

If you do decide to send these in for grading please stop back by and let us know the grades, we will be rooting for some good grades.  (thumbsu

On 3/29/2022 at 5:28 PM, Woods020 said:

Good point. I didn’t think about that. What is the cutoff at NGC? I actually don’t know. Is it $300 like PCGS? 

The max per coin value is $3,000 for the standard tier, which the 42/1 could easily surpass, the max per coin value for econ is $300.

On 3/29/2022 at 8:09 PM, Livio Eleven said:

At one time, it was an acceptable practice. I believe Whitman, maker of coin folders, even had printed instructions on the best way to do it. Now, it is taboo. ( And, YouTube idi ots are still giving instructions.)

It isn't easy telling someone that Dad or Grandad (or even the dealer from whom they purchased their coins) may have diminished the value. But, as I said, they were just doing what they thought was best.

That aside, I sincerely hope these are genuine.

I agree the 42/41 looks like it’s the real deal. I thought I could see the die crack in the first pics but it’s tiny and others had doubts so I was second guessing myself haha. The 21-D also has the correct numerals and characteristics on the date. These are nice coins your father left. I really hope the 42/41 straight grades. It should do well if it does. Spring for pictures I would love to see what it really looks like. 

Edited by Woods020

On 3/29/2022 at 10:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

The max per coin value is $3,000 for the standard tier, which the 42/1 could easily surpass, the max per coin value for econ is $300.

Yeah I wasn’t even thinking dollars. I was more blown away by the coin. As long as the 42/41 isn’t harshly cleaned, which I don’t really see but could be the case, no way this one doesn’t blow past $3k and keep gaining speed. 

1. Nice looking coins acquired by your father.

2. Do not attempt to clean or "improve" the coins. Leave them as-is.

3. I suggest you take them to a coin dealer who has an NGC submission account, and have them ship the coins for authentication and grading. They will know how to price the services and also give you an informal opinion about whether the coins were cleaned/dipped at one time.

Agree 100% with Roger above. Don’t try to do this “on the cheap”. These are potentially important coins. Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. 

BTW, “all the good coins are already graded.” Pfffft. Yeah sure. Just bash around rural Pennsylvania auctions, dudes. 

One COUNTY in PA, Lancaster, just north of the Maryland line, probably has more 4-figure and 5-figure coins RAW in collections than many STATES do. Why else do you think CNG is headquartered there? Why else do you imagine Laura Sperber’s former partner, Morphy, is there? It’s “The Motherlode”.

Plus, it’s my roots, too. Pretty close to the most conservative county in the USA, too. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, Livio Eleven said:

Here's NGC photos of the coin. I now realize the importance of good photos!

Graded AU58

6456095.thumb.JPG.de67ebc9803d1fdabf56be5d895c991d.JPG6456095r.thumb.JPG.58ae1dd2a58a9d7654ed9163c759dc9c.JPG

Congrats. You will do well with this one. 

On 5/7/2022 at 9:31 AM, Livio Eleven said:

Here's NGC photos of the coin. I now realize the importance of good photos!

Graded AU58

Very nice, congrats.   Did you also send in the 1921?

Edit, nevermind I see you have a separate thread on the 21

Edited by Coinbuf