• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An unusual NGC Shipwreck Holder
1 1

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC used letters A, B and C to sort the SS Republic coins that had to be Details Graded. A was the least impaired, B a little more so and C was a coin that was pretty badly corroded. It may be that this one was flagged to be labeled SHIPWRECK EFFECT A and was never reholdered. I'm very surprised that it left the premises.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

A cool mechanical error. (thumbsu

That's my guess: A step was missed and it was shipped out more than 15 years ago. 

Still waiting to see if our host has anything to add.

On 3/29/2022 at 8:23 AM, Dean Corry said:

That's my guess: A step was missed and it was shipped out more than 15 years ago. 

Still waiting to see if our host has anything to add.

Not much to add, Mr. Lange explained what the "A" is for, as to how it got out like that I doubt that anyone has an explanation for that.   There are examples of these types of human (I never did understand why these get labeled as mechanical errors) errors from practically every TPG out in the collecting marketplace.    If you are looking for a correction to be made you need to contact customer service, it is doubtful that any company would discuss options to unique situations on a forum.   I would expect that NGC would be happy to fix the label for free, and hopefully they would pay for the shipping both ways but I do not know that.   However there are collectors that like these oddball mechanical error slabs so it is not something that you have to fix unless you would prefer it with the correct label.

On 3/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, Dean Corry said:

Lisa,

Is Coinbuf correct?  This is a simple human error where an "A" quality coin did not get its proper final label?  

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Lange also works for NGC. He is one of the big dogs. ;)

On 3/29/2022 at 8:39 PM, Just Bob said:

Mr. Lange also works for NGC. He is one of the big dogs. ;)

Bob,

Thanks for pointing that out.  I missed that detail in the avatar.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, DWLange said:

NGC used letters A, B and C to sort the SS Republic coins that had to be Details Graded. A was the least impaired, B a little more so and C was a coin that was pretty badly corroded. It may be that this one was flagged to be labeled SHIPWRECK EFFECT A and was never reholdered. I'm very surprised that it left the premises.

Mr. Lange,

Thanks for the info.  Also,I found it interesting that the "A" is printed (not handwritten) on the label.  This was back in 2005(?) so it may just remain a mystery.

Edited by Dean Corry

It's the "I'm very surprised that it left the premises." part I'm curious about.

Something like, how did the nail/dime mint error leave the mint?  :bigsmile: