• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Authentication and Grading companies "stuck in the mud?"
1 1

68 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2022 at 12:56 PM, zadok said:

...slippery slope..."top pops" have a way of sliding down, just ask QA bout his 67 roosters....

[It's like having to start all over again. From scratch. The Hon. @VKurtB made a valid point early on. He questioned the value of any collection that could be assembled in just ninety days. I was unable to, but all I have accomplished is raising prices artificially high, across-the-board with my "buy at any cost" strategy and devaluing the holdings of collectors who've spent a considerable amount of time and effort (and money) assembling theirs for display in set registries.  (shrug)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing for readability.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[It's like having to start all over again. From scratch. The Hon. @VKurtB made a valid point early on. He questioned the value of any collection that could be assembRegistries. ninety days. I was unable to but all I have accomplished is raising prices artificially high with my "buy at any cost" strategy and devalue the holdings of collectors who've spent a considerable amount of time and effort (and money) assembling their keepers for display in set registries.  (shrug)

Fear not, because that is what registry fans do. Regretting it is like asking comedian Kevin Hart to regret yelling. I might soon dip a toe or two into the tepid water of a serious registry set. There is a short set at which I am currently #3, with two coin vacancies. Even fairly modest coins filling those will get me to #1. The trick is finding those two raw and worthy of a gem grade. Finding them already graded is a near impossibility. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/20/2022 at 5:07 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[It's like having to start all over again. From scratch. The Hon. @VKurtB made a valid point early on. He questioned the value of any collection that could be assembled in just ninety days. I was unable to, but all I have accomplished is raising prices artificially high, across-the-board with my "buy at any cost" strategy and devaluing the holdings of collectors who've spent a considerable amount of time and effort (and money) assembling theirs for display in set registries.  (shrug)

...to paraphrase mr. macy..."the biggest rooster gets all the eggs..."....

To the Hon. @VKurtB:

Your post is inherently unfair. Why are we, avid collectors (and hoarders alike) not permitted to share in your trials and tribulations, in real time. As it is, you leave us with two choices:  the thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat.  Not to rub it in, but that hobo you passed earlier yesterday standing on the opposite side of the road seven furlongs due west of Arab, had one of the coins you desperately need for your secret Set Registry.  😉 

On 7/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

To the Hon. @VKurtB:

Your post is inherently unfair. Why are we, avid collectors (and hoarders alike) not permitted to share in your trials and tribulations, in real time. As it is, you leave us with two choices:  the thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat.  Not to rub it in, but that hobo you passed earlier yesterday standing on the opposite side of the road seven furlongs due west of Arab, had one of the coins you desperately need for your secret Set Registry.  😉 

...HH is not going to like that, he may be on his way to East Harlem at this moment....

On 7/20/2022 at 6:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

To the Hon. @VKurtB:

I seldom get west of Arab. It’s pretty much a north/south kinda experience the way I live. West heads me toward Cullman, which does have the nearest movie theater. But my wife and I are doing our next flick at the Rosemont multiplex next month. Arab has more auto parts places than I’ve ever seen in a small area. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, zadok said:

...HH is not going to like that, he may be on his way to East Harlem at this moment....

He'll be out of his element. :roflmao:

On 7/20/2022 at 8:33 PM, VKurtB said:

I seldom get west of Arab. It’s pretty much a north/south kinda experience the way I live. West heads me toward Cullman, which does have the nearest movie theater. But my wife and I are doing our next flick at the Rosemont multiplex next month. Arab has more auto parts places than I’ve ever seen in a small area. 

That's what I get for being a weisenheimer.  😉