• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go again with the new Morgans and Peace dollars.
2 2

50 posts in this topic

The shows are swamped with them. I saw a guy in Chattanooga a few weeks ago that had 100 easily. I don’t know if he sold many or not, but he had a case filled to the rim with them. 

Edited by Woods020

On 3/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Graded MS 69s are going in and around the $100 range at auctions. I'm just going to wait for the MS 70s to drop and buy the ones I want in holders later . They will still look the same as they do now. Unless they milk spot like ASE's LoL

What was OIP? $85, wasn’t it? $100 for an MS69 is literally a discount from all in OIP. 

On 3/14/2022 at 5:59 PM, Woods020 said:

The shows are swamped with them. I saw a guy in Chattanooga a few weeks ago that had 100 easily. I don’t know if he sold many or not, but he had a case filled to the rim with them. 

Same with CC privies, or are they hanging in there higher?

On 3/14/2022 at 7:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Same with CC privies, or are they hanging in there higher?

From what I see the average price for most MS70s are in the $200/250 range. The Denver coin seems to bring the premium right now. According to the pop reports, they are the ones that didn’t grade well, and 70s were less abundant. Then again, it depends on which labels they have.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:04 PM, Lem E said:

From what I see the average price for most MS70s are in the $200/250 range. The Denver coin seems to bring the premium right now. According to the pop reports, they are the ones that didn’t grade well, and 70s were less abundant. Then again, it depends on which labels they have.

Not surprising. My Denver is easily the sketchiest. But they have the BEST circulation strike work. Odd. 

If my flight to BHM tonight gets canceled, I may have to go downtown n’ straighten them boys out a little. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/14/2022 at 9:10 PM, Lem E said:

If it makes it. May be a real short set.

It would be the absolute best thing that could happen to that coin.  I think that making this a series discounts the 100 year (1921-2021) Morgan/Peace transition commemorative.  

It's just the Mint saying, "Make some more of that... these guys will buy it.  Doesn't fit?  Doesn't matter... Keep the presses going boys... Baby needs some new shoes".

Then there is the gouging on the secondary market due to "new coin mania".  A phenomenon that I have not come to understand yet.  The sudden rise, and sudden crash... only to rinse and repeat. 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

If I were trying to collect this series, this would probably be the nail in the coffin for me. Even if I was hardcore enough to make it through the initial release and still want to continue the series, this would make me throw in the towel. Especially after teasing people with proof strikes. A break in the series this early is a killer in my opinion. 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, Lem E said:

I thought the privvy mark coins were selling for $500 each ?  And a complete set was like $2,000 or more for MS70 and 1st Strike ?

On 3/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I thought the privvy mark coins were selling for $500 each ?  And a complete set was like $2,000 or more for MS70 and 1st Strike ?

I was going by standard label and asking price. I didn’t look at sold prices which may be different. CCs are averaging $250 and the Os are $200 for 70s. Looks like FDOI coins are in the $315 range for CC coins. This is only from an ebay search. The Denver coins are the highest priced in a 70.

Edited by Lem E

The biggest issue with this is that it's a one way market.   Gouge like crazy when selling but pay peanuts if buying, these will never be "rare" in any grade and I will never have any interest in owning one.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

The biggest issue with this is that it's a one way market.   Gouge like crazy when selling but pay peanuts if buying, these will never be "rare" in any grade and I will never have any interest in owning one.

I wouldn’t be feeling too good if I paid $500 per coin in the beginning. 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Lem E said:

I wouldn’t be feeling too good if I paid $500 per coin in the beginning. 

You would think so but the recent experience with these ASE or other 1-ounce silver special coins is their secondary trading spikes ease off but do NOT collapse.  Think of the 2019-S ASE.

These may be way overpriced to us....but to many of the new Keyboard Kollectors....they are at least AFFORDABLE relative to pricey Morgans, Saints, or most gold coins.

I think these are the people buying and keeping the prices afloat.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/14/2022 at 9:50 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You would think so but the recent experience with these ASE or other 1-ounce silver special coins is their secondary trading spikes ease off but do NOT collapse.  Think of the 2019-S ASE.

These may be way overpriced to us....but to many of the new Keyboard Kollectors....they are at least AFFORDABLE relative to pricey Morgans, Saints, or most gold coins.

I think these are the people buying and keeping the prices afloat.

Seems like after the initial release hype and inflated prices at the start, these fall in line with ASEs price wise. I agree they seem to settle into their normal price range and stay put. Same with ASEs. They are basically the same thing. Collector bullion. I don’t feel that any of the new Morgans or Peace dollars are quite on par with the 2019 S ASE. There is no particular Morgan that has a lower mintage than the other by a significant amount. I feel like these will be on par with ASE pricing if the series continues.

Edited by Lem E