• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1857 Flying Eagle Penny
3 3

36 posts in this topic

Hello, New here , new to collecting coins, just got this coin out of a roll of old pennies I bought it had 9 or ten Indian heads and the rest wheat pennies and this coin, anyone know anything about this coin ? I am not sure if this is the right place on the forum for this question. Thank you for any response.

IMG_20220310_145812841.jpg

IMG_20220310_145839302.jpg

Edited by George F O'Neil Sr
Added more information

Wow!!  You're not kidding Lem!!

Out of a roll?  It does happen.  Someone intentionally or accidentally throwing it back into circulation.  Great find!  👍🏻

Edit:  P.S. Where ever you got that roll, get back there right now and get some more!!

Edited by tj96

The rev does look more worn then the obv.  Flat eagle breast?...okay.

Chinese origin?..  Maybe.  What would the point of that be?....  A large profit?

Edited by tj96

The coin does appear to be fake. There are many areas of weak details where other areas are very strong, particularly on the reverse lettering. Also not the inconsistent width and thickness of the date numerals.

Everything Oldhoopster said I agree with. These become very obvious when compared to a genuine example, just like what Oldhoopster said,

On 3/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, George F O'Neil Sr said:

Thank you for the comments, how do I tell for sure that this coin is not real? 

You pretty much just did. Seriously. 

On 3/14/2022 at 7:06 PM, George F O'Neil Sr said:

Thank you for the comments, how do I tell for sure that this coin is not real? 

Can we see a picture of the edge of the coin?

On 3/14/2022 at 5:54 PM, Woods020 said:

I agree. It doesn’t look right. And sometimes it’s hard to pin point why. But you know it when you see it. 

Ah, Potter Stewart LIVES! Does the edge look sketchy to anyone else?

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Ah, Potter Stewart LIVES! Does the edge look sketchy to anyone else?

It was true then, and it’s true now. Especially with coins. It’s funny how sometimes all you need is a fleeting glance to know it’s not legit. 

On 3/14/2022 at 4:56 PM, George F O'Neil Sr said:

Hello, New here , new to collecting coins, just got this coin out of a roll of old pennies I bought it had 9 or ten Indian heads and the rest wheat pennies and this coin, anyone know anything about this coin ? I am not sure if this is the right place on the forum for this question. Thank you for any response.

IMG_20220310_145812841.jpg

IMG_20220310_145839302.jpg

Thank you everybody on letting me know this is not real, I weighed it and it was 4.67 grams, I would not have known that this is not real if I had not posted it here, I am new to collecting coins as a hobby, Thanx again everybody.

On 3/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, RWB said:

Wrong details, wrong thickness, etc. -- at least the eagle is flying in the correct direction.

Whatever it is, and from wherever, it appears to have been oiled as part of the process. 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:36 PM, tj96 said:

You know, I'm a pretty nice guy.  I'm sitting here "average Joe American" just minding my own business.  This whole Chinese Communist Party (CCP) thing, from the Red Death China virus (how many Americans did they kill? No Murder!!) to counterfeit coins and EVERYTHING in between, is starting to P_SS me off!! 

Semper Fi

Anyone who continues to numismatically tolerate China is an appeaser. 

On 3/16/2022 at 2:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Anyone who continues to numismatically tolerate China is an appeaser. 

I wouldn’t touch a Chinese panda coin with a 15 foot Bulgarian. 

What is interesting is it definitely isn't real, but the diameter seems right and the thickness to small, yet the weight is right.  A little lead in the alloy?

Nickel and copper are basically the same density so without it being thicker the weight for a coin made of nickel would be the same weight as a copper one.  It doesn't appear to be thick like a FE cent, so I can't explain the weight unless there is a higher density material in the alloy.

[It's me, the retread guy giving your thread the once-over.  Firstly, regardless what you have, or think you may have, hold the coin properly. Forefinger on top, thumb on bottom--no contact with either surface (or minimally at best.) If this had been an 1856, half the Forum would cringe. For the sake of reference, I will refer to this coin as the Monkeypox example (for reasons which will become clearer after you've had sufficient exposure to Flying Eagle Cents.) The things that struck me most noticeably were the strong and weak parts: denticles that recede into the mist. An E and N in CENT that are missing arms and legs as though an effort were made to erase them from existence. And, of course, the Monkeypox which in all fairness to you was not yet diagnosed when you posted your thread.

Of even greater concern to me is something no one else even mentioned: the Indian Head Cents and Wheaties! How do they stack up, in your estimation? Any stand-outs? You've only scratched the surface of what may yet turn out to be a phenomenal collection of an artist's attempt to create his interpretation of classic coins.  All the best!]   🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of closing bracket.