• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I have something very special
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I'm not ignorant to coin collecting and the market but very very inexperienced and therefore naive. I have a silver and gold plated sacagawea dollar uncirculated hard case and cert of authenticity from Morgan mint. Whoopy right good for me.... here's the thing is not right its botched! The gold is not where it's supposed to be and covers more of the coin on both sides then it should and doesn't follow the line of the eagle or the Indian and it also does not have gold in the lettering on both sides....I'm not sure what I got here but I think it just might be a big deal... please tell me what do I have and what do I do with it...... thank you in advance for your help and God bless 

16471484754829039876971393311646.jpg

16471486754095282455501875390351.jpg

16471490178702237133170956124059.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin began as a normal Sac Dollar and was altered outside of the mint to sell as a novelty piece.

It is not botched, you have exactly what it says in the certificate, “ selectively plated”, which means that only certain areas are plated with gold. All the coins that were produced would look like that. As they were done after they left the mint, they would be considered damaged.

Just for the heck of it, can we see a close-up of this area and a little more focused?

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 7.51.20 PM.png

Edited by tj96

Not sure if that is what your looking for?  So what I took from yalls replies is that the 24k gold was added after mint and is therefore just sloppy work and not a mistake? 

On 3/17/2022 at 12:20 PM, Botch said:

Not sure if that is what your looking for?  So what I took from yalls replies is that the 24k gold was added after mint and is therefore just sloppy work and not a mistake? 

That is correct.

And I imagine TJ was looking to see if those lines that he pointed to were die gouges. There is a variety known as the "speared eagle" that looks like it has an arrow or spear shot through it. It's due to a line in the die, I believe.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:29 PM, Just Bob said:

That is correct.

And I imagine TJ was looking to see if those lines that he pointed to were die gouges. There is a variety known as the "speared eagle" that looks like it has an arrow or spear shot through it. It's due to a line in the die, I believe.

Yes, plus the Cheerios Dollar.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:18 PM, Just Bob said:

Wow! Would that not be awful for a $4,000 coin to be ruined by some aftermarket plater?

Yes, it certainly would. 😩

It appears that NGC does not put the FS-901 number on their labels.   Unless I'm missing it, all the NGC holders I've seen don't have it.  Any reason why?

@LISA B

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 11.47.40 AM.png

Edited by tj96