• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Words of personal wisdom from a member.
2 2

113 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Not to wax nostalgic, but I pine for the good old days when both men, distinguished in their own right, would have been invited to the White House to hash out their differences over a mug of iced brew.

Unsolicited and wholly gratuitous editorial comment:   Lots of violations of the Guidelines evident in this thread.  I missed my calling in life.  I should have been a guest moderator.  :roflmao:

You’ll fit in great over at CT. 

@VKurtB I disagree 100%.  Roger has provided me with lots of insight.  I have read many of his articles in Penny-Wise.  Some of his articles have been corrected, or debated by others (Penny-Wise, July 2022 issue).  However, this is done with respect and educated fact-based analysis. 

Thanks for what you do, Roger.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:53 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@VKurtB I disagree 100%.  Roger has provided me with lots of insight.  I have read many of his articles in Penny-Wise.  Some of his articles have been corrected, or debated by others (Penny-Wise, July 2022 issue).  However, this is done with respect and educated fact-based analysis. 

Thanks for what you do, Roger.

What is Penny-Wise?

On 10/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

It is the EAC Club publication.

Oddly, when I do an internet search, I get references to a clown. Is that ironic or what?

On 10/6/2022 at 7:27 PM, RWB said:

Mr. Kurt Bell

Who is this person? I know of no such person. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:27 PM, RWB said:

He has discovered – Nothing

Well, technically this is true. No Kurt Bell ever did, I guess. But I did. I am the first numismatist to publish an article (see other untrue bullet points) pointing out that there was a special nature to the 1994 nickels in the Jefferson Coin and Currency Set. That was ME. CRIPES dude, that was almost 30 years ago now.

I COULD continue on, bullet point by bullet point. But frankly, Roger Burdette, who can’t even get the most elementary basic facts correct, isn’t worth my time and effort. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Penny-Wise and Pound-Foolish are related in some way.]  :roflmao:

I do collect EAC’s strongly, or rather I did in Pennsylvania (the market there is THICK to overflowing), but I never joined the EAC club. I did join their contemporary club, the Liberty Seated Collectors Club. One can wrangle only so much time at conventions, with my other ANA obligations (making dealer credentials and serving on two committees of the ANA Board). The amazing part is that in PA I couldn’t STOP running into great EAC coins, even at common estate sales, but in Alabama, they just aren’t found much. Maybe Butternut has hoovered up all of the good ones here. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/7/2022 at 1:24 PM, DWLange said:

Great! Now, someone will write in wanting to know what "Butternut" is. I can't take this anymore. I'm outta here!

Butternut Coins of Tennessee. One of the foremost dealers in large cents. Owned by Col. Steven Ellsworth (rtd.). He is the immediate past President of the ANA and a fairly controversial personality in his own right. 

Tennessee and the northern parts of the states that are south of its border make up a fairly “homogenous” interconnected region.  Not nearly as numismatically interesting as the Middle Atlantic states. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/7/2022 at 2:24 PM, DWLange said:

Great! Now, someone will write in wanting to know what "Butternut" is. I can't take this anymore. I'm outta here!

[Responding to a post I had made on my all-time favorite thread, "Violate the Guidelines and you will be Suspended or Banned," one fellow member remarked, "Way to pucker up buttercup. Lol," which I took good-naturedly as a compliment.]  :whistle:  

On 10/7/2022 at 12:57 PM, VKurtB said:

I do collect EAC’s strongly, or rather I did in Pennsylvania (the market there is THICK to overflowing), but I never joined the EAC club. I did join their contemporary club, the Liberty Seated Collectors Club. One can wrangle only so much time at conventions, with my other ANA obligations (making dealer credentials and serving on two committees of the ANA Board). The amazing part is that in PA I couldn’t STOP running into great EAC coins, even at common estate sales, but in Alabama, they just aren’t found much. Maybe Butternut has hoovered up all of the good ones here. 

...interesting how certain coin series tend to be more prevalent in certain geographical areas, but makes sense that in many cases the coins originated there n many remained there, certainly so in pre-internet days...seems like the EAC n colonial most popular in new england states and penn, seated big time in the central states, n of course the territorial gold n CC issues in the far west...i would think that the formation of the various national clubs had a hand in influencing geographical interests as well...human nature likes tend to flock together....

On 10/7/2022 at 7:18 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Only clowns I know are Bozo The Clown, Krusty The Clown, and Eric The Clown (from Seinfeld). xD

Don't forget the [unmentionable] one who had his picture taken with former President Carter's wife, Rosalynn.  :whatthe:

On 10/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, zadok said:

...interesting how certain coin series tend to be more prevalent in certain geographical areas, but makes sense that in many cases the coins originated there n many remained there, certainly so in pre-internet days...seems like the EAC n colonial most popular in new england states and penn, seated big time in the central states, n of course the territorial gold n CC issues in the far west...i would think that the formation of the various national clubs had a hand in influencing geographical interests as well...human nature likes tend to flock together....

The few estate collection pieces I found down here (seated mostly) were high in O mint coins. And Philly. 

I somehow missed this topic earlier. The research work and published material done by Roger Burdette is outstanding. His set of three renaissance books, for example, is a masterpiece of research. 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:21 AM, disme said:

I somehow missed this topic earlier. The research work and published material done by Roger Burdette is outstanding. His set of three renaissance books, for example, is a masterpiece of research. 

Thank you! I merely do what I can, as best I can.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:32 AM, VKurtB said:

Butternut Coins of Tennessee. One of the foremost dealers in large cents. Owned by Col. Steven Ellsworth (rtd.). He is the immediate past President of the ANA and a fairly controversial personality in his own right. 

He's one of the only big-nose numismatic figures I've met in person. He definitely seems to make the rounds; he's been to our club a few times, and it's pretty far away from Tennessee. My take is that he does not have a self-esteem problem.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:03 AM, JKK said:

He's one of the only big-nose numismatic figures I've met in person. He definitely seems to make the rounds; he's been to our club a few times, and it's pretty far away from Tennessee. My take is that he does not have a self-esteem problem.

No, he definitely does not. But I do find that to be an EXTREMELY common trait in this industry. 

But again, if you want to look at some suweeeet large cents, priced accordingly (¡Caramba!), he’s your guy. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, VKurtB said:

....But I do find that to be an EXTREMELY common trait in this industry....

🐓:  Big noses?

Q.A.:  Self-esteem, Ricky.  Ah, you wouldn't know...

On 10/20/2022 at 12:54 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  Big noses?

Q.A.:  Self-esteem, Ricky.  Ah, you wouldn't know...

Big noses are an extremely common trait among male British monarchs. Just wait until William ascends the throne. Poor little kid, George. He’s got the big end of the gene pool.