• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWF Conservation Series - Sudan £5 1976 and Indonesia
1 1

12 posts in this topic

It's near impossible to grade proof coins from a picture. 

Most of these come fairly nice and PR68 isn't out of line with their typical quality. 

I think the 5000Rp is the better of the two, but agree it's almost impossible to tell from a pic. A 68 is not an unreasonable expectation/guess for the rupiah, the £5 seems borderline to me, but.. (shrug)  

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

I believe it was The Royal Mint in association with the WWF, they are commonly referred to as conservation series. I believe there were 24 countries issuing two coins each, so 48 to collect in total from the seventies (1974-76) I think, although there is little information on the internet. I have started a mission to collect them all Raw and grade them myself at least PF67 :) A little challenge and a great investment for the future, as some such as the Sudan issued only 5000 I believe of the $5. I'll post them here when NGC slab the ones I have so far :)

Edited by Tobias J Reily

On 2/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, Tobias J Reily said:

I believe it was The Royal Mint in association with the WWF, they are commonly referred to as conservation series. I believe there were 24 countries issuing two coins each, so 48 to collect in total from the seventies (1974-76) I think, although there is little information on the internet. I have started a mission to collect them all Raw and grade them myself at least PF67 :) A little challenge and a great investment for the future, as some such as the Sudan issued only 5000 I believe of the $5. I'll post them here when NGC slab the ones I have so far :)

Mintage figures can be sketchy for many nations that make money by outsourcing production of collector coins. I've owned 200+ examples of a coin that only had 25 minted. 

I understand, but I don't think that scenario applies to these coins that were minted in the UK by The Royal Mint. Also, the asking and selling prices do seem to reflect the quantities stated on various sources, such as NGC and numista. 

Norman Sillman was the reverse designer for this coin, who is associated with designing £1 coins for The Royal Mint.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/sudan-5-pounds-km-71-1396-1976-cuid-1091263-duid-1529537

And not with this series as I have no reason to NOT believe posted minted figures. However proof and specimen & uncirculated sets of the later 1980s through the 2010's from the Royal Mint are highly suspect in that authorised mintages may or may not fit the actual number minted and then released to collector channels.