• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real or did someone dippy--do?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

It is a very lovely looking coin but it looks to perfect to me. The toning is the same on both sides. I have seen that before but it always makes me curious? Is it natural or not hm

Edited by J P Mashoke

I wish I was better at this, but it does show signs of natural toning. I see the pull away effect around the outer devices. It also has a color progression from rim to center. I would say get more opinions before dismissing. I also won’t say it isn’t AT. This is one of the things that I very often get wrong. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The light coming off of Liberty's cheek suggests a surface that's unnaturally smooth. I say cleaned and retoned, but it could just be the photo.

I suspect both the coin and photo have been cleaned and retoned - using an EZ Bake play oven with 100 watt incandescent light bulb. (Did you ever see what happens if you replace the standard 100 watt bulb with an LED equivalent in your kid's EZ Bake?)

So you think Betty Crocker may have borrowed the coin?  It’s so difficult for me to tell. I look online and can see tons of coins that look AT but are naturally toned.  These coin Dr’s are good.  Would it be worth sending in?

On 2/18/2022 at 10:33 AM, Tgcisland said:

So you think Betty Crocker may have borrowed the coin?  It’s so difficult for me to tell. I look online and can see tons of coins that look AT but are naturally toned.  These coin Dr’s are good.  Would it be worth sending in?

Well it depends on your investment into this coin so far. I don't think it would grade much more than a 64 from the pictures. Just my opinion ? but it is not in my hand to look at.  If it is graded as being cleaned well then it is worth whatever you can get above melt or it's sentimental value. 

On 2/18/2022 at 10:33 AM, Tgcisland said:

I look online and can see tons of coins that look AT but are naturally toned.

Looking on line will not help you..  there are so many ways to change the appearance of a coin with photo editor that it will make your head spin..  the only way to rally look at a coin is to have it in your hand..  and from what i see on this one it looks way too clean and unnaturally toned from the pic. You normally will not see the exact toning on both sides.  just my opinion because i am not an expert just a collector.. you have some of the best expercts in this field on this site so you in good hands. 

On 2/18/2022 at 12:36 PM, Tgcisland said:

Thanks. I will try to take some better pics later today and post.  It was my fathers coin and has been in a box for at least 10 years untouched. 

If you could not use a wood tone background maybe white, it may help with showing the true color of the coin .

On 2/18/2022 at 12:36 PM, Tgcisland said:

Thanks. I will try to take some better pics later today and post.  It was my fathers coin and has been in a box for at least 10 years untouched. 

That's what I was waiting to hear, the coins history... Is it yours? Do you have the coin in hand? Where did you get it? Where has it been?

You say you think it was altered but you say your father had it in a box for 10 years.  Did your father alter it?  Where was that box stored?