• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing star on 1921 Morgan

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I've had this coin in my small collection since I was a kid. It's missing a star on the right side (see pictures). I can't find anything on this being an error and I don't see any signs of it being scratched off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

20220215_154303.jpg

20220215_154336.jpg

Hi,

It's terrible when your cell phone shadow gets in front of the picture.  Nothing photo editors can't fix. 

But that is a cool coin!  You might think about sending it into NGC and having it preserved. Something as unique as that Morgan would be worth it in my humble opinion.  Make it kind of an Covid reverse anniversary coin.  Both were kind of defective!

Welcome to the Club!

Wow, thank you so much everyone for the great input, detailed explanations, and welcomes! It really helped. I'll clean it up and put it back in a 2x2, take a better pic and post as RWB suggests. I'm giving some of my collection to a friend's son who is just getting started (that's how I got my start) and he seems very serious, nice to see that!!. I think I'll keep this one though!!

Thanks again!

On 2/16/2022 at 6:25 AM, Pauly6777 said:

I'll clean it up ...

Don't use anything abrasive, caustic or in any way destructive. That will ruin the coin. Use only pure acetone or distilled water. You only want to remove contaminants, not change the appearance into something that looks unnatural.

On 2/16/2022 at 4:25 AM, Pauly6777 said:

Wow, thank you so much everyone for the great input, detailed explanations, and welcomes! It really helped. I'll clean it up and put it back in a 2x2, take a better pic and post as RWB suggests. I'm giving some of my collection to a friend's son who is just getting started (that's how I got my start) and he seems very serious, nice to see that!!. I think I'll keep this one though!!

Thanks again!

Echoing what Bob said, if you are cleaning your coins, you are devaluing and damaging them. If you want to do your friend's son a real service, give him some uncleaned ones and inculcate in him why he should never clean them, why "shiny" does not mean "excellent," and that a natural look is always preferred. There are exceptions, but the short version is they are unlikely to include any coins you might have or are likely to acquire.

If you want to teach him even better, find an obviously worn coin that some [term for person of minimal discernment] has cleaned abrasively, and show him the zillions of little scratches under magnification. Just in case he's thinking "yeah, but they can't tell, so why shouldn't I?" Oh, yes, we can. That would really help him think in ways that would lead to an excellent collection.

On 2/16/2022 at 7:25 AM, Pauly6777 said:

put it back in a 2x2, take a better pic and post as RWB suggests.

Take the pictures BEFORE you put it in the 2X2.  The plastic of the 2X2 can cause problems with an image.

Edited by Conder101