• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974-S Ike Dollar US Mint Sealed

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knows on how they grade and seal a 1974-S Ike Dollar that is a sealed by the US Mint ? Do they leave it in the original packaging or cut it open to grade it? I have noticed on their price guide, they have a different value from a regular MS coin.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, MESmagner said:

I just assumed that everyone would know it's NGC since this post is on "their" (NGC) site.

I can see why you might assume that, but in fact we routinely talk about PCGS, ANACS, and the various JGS (Joe's Grading Service--my term for the various less credible outfits) in this space. NGC has never seemed to mind, much to their credit, even when someone blisters them. Very few of the posters here work for NGC; most of us are just collectors, some who do a little business as well.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For the silver proofs NGC uses a grading band that wraps around the rigid government holder, permitting it to remain intact. The silver uncirculated dollars are likewise left in their original plastic sleeves. These are sealed within a plastic envelope of the type PMG uses to grade notes.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, DWLange said:

These are sealed within a plastic envelope of the type PMG uses to grade notes.

That reminds me....I have a note that a cute girl passed to me in 9th grade social studies. --- Will PMG seal that in a plastic envelope for me with the "Ninth Grade" label?

;)

On 2/15/2022 at 8:56 PM, RWB said:

s. --- Will PMG seal that in a plastic envelope for me with the "Ninth Grade" label?

no but i think PCGS will .. heck they sealed up a cricket might as well be a first day of issue sweetheart note!!!!!!  heheheheh