• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low mint mark
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Not uncommon. Different dies will have mint marks in differing locations. It has to be wildly misplaced to be of interest, or considers a misplaced date. Unfortunately the internet has made everyone look for the most minuscule of differences, almost entirely of which is normal. We forget coins are made using a manufacturing process and minor variation is well within tolerance. 

To help your learning here are a few things to study. 

1. learn the entirety of the coining process, including how dates are added. 

2. learn how the processes have changed over time, which makes the date of what you are looking at important. 

3. for this in particular learn how dates were added to dies before and after 1989 (85 for proofs). 

Thank you for the help I had a feeling it was just common just didn't know how. I actually wasn't looking for that is that I was learning the difference between large date and small date and using pictures on NGCS Coin facts I noticed the difference in the height of the mint mark. I also have a mint set that I used for a example. This one is high and not a good strike. And large date. 

Picture_20222013072002.jpg

When looking for small date 1970S cents, look for mint marks that are relatively high and tight. I’ve been looking at these for decades and I have never seen a small date with a low S. 

Almost everything your see on the internet about "valuable" or "rare" coins is hokum. If you find something interesting, post a good photo here and ask for ideas.

I thought YouTube was the potential ruin of numismatics until I’ve recently joined a bunch of coin groups on Facebook to network. It’s groups of people all full of delusions giving each other reassurance that their crazy is real. I’ve never seen anything like it. And they buy each other’s crazy ideas. You can get a sweet premium for parking lot “errors” on there if you are so interested. 

No telling what @Coinbuftop registry set of parking lot beauties would go for. That nail polish glitter one is a six figure coin I’m sure! 😂

On 2/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, Woods020 said:

I thought YouTube was the potential ruin of numismatics until I’ve recently joined a bunch of coin groups on Facebook to network. It’s groups of people all full of delusions giving each other reassurance that their crazy is real. I’ve never seen anything like it. And they buy each other’s crazy ideas. You can get a sweet premium for parking lot “errors” on there if you are so interested. 

No telling what @Coinbuftop registry set of parking lot beauties would go for. That nail polish glitter one is a six figure coin I’m sure! 😂

Unfortunately, the same ignorant mentality extends to much more substantive and serious subjects. Go rent the film "Cabaret" and pay attention -- that was 1930, too!