• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC submission form

16 posts in this topic

A couple of questions:

the box that requires grade indicates either MS or PF.  If a coin is less than MS, eg. VF, should that go in the box?  Leave the box blank?

I am in the process of submitting about 9 coins for conservation.  Each coin has a value under 300$.  One coin is in the

400$ range.

Do I have to submit it on a separate form?  If so, I will have one coin on the form.  Both forms can go in the same box.

Correct?

MS is used for anything that is not a proof and PF is for proofs. Don't worry the type will be determined during grading, if you get it wrong it really doesn't matter as NGC will assign the correct designation on the label. (thumbsu

FYI, if you just submit the coins for grading, and don't check decline NCS conservation on the submission form, NGC will automatically recommend NCS conservation for any problem coins. Of course this does not guarantee that all or any of the coins will be recommended for conservation but if the coins don't need it then...

This. Asking for conservation is a REALLY BAD idea. If NGC thinks it will help a coin, they will suggest it. If they DON’T offer it to you, all the conservation in the world won’t help your coin. Learn to accept that. 

Keep in mind, “help” can be several things. It can be a numeric grade difference. It can turn a non-Cameo into a Cameo. I had that on an SMS half dollar. Or for copper especially, it may only get you a stabilized coin after active corrosion is neutralized. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The coins being submitted for conservation should be on a separate form from those intended for grading alone. NCS submissions do not need to be segregated by value tiers. Put them on one form at their respective values, and NGC will segregate them by tiers according to value when being subsequently re-routed for grading.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:43 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

MS is used for anything that is not a proof and PF is for proofs. Don't worry the type will be determined during grading, if you get it wrong it really doesn't matter as NGC will assign the correct designation on the label. (thumbsu

FYI, if you just submit the coins for grading, and don't check decline NCS conservation on the submission form, NGC will automatically recommend NCS conservation for any problem coins. Of course this does not guarantee that all or any of the coins will be recommended for conservation but if the coins don't need it then...

On 2/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Keep in mind, “help” can be several things. It can be a numeric grade difference. It can turn a non-Cameo into a Cameo. I had that on an SMS half dollar. Or for copper especially, it may only get you a stabilized coin after active corrosion is neutralized. 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, VKurtB said:

This. Asking for conservation is a REALLY BAD idea. If NGC thinks it will help a coin, they will suggest it. If they DON’T offer it to you, all the conservation in the world won’t help your coin. Learn to accept that. 

I found this comment doing a search... a very unambiguous statement..

Hypothetical: Let's say I sent in 100 random coins and didn't select conservation and they recommended conservation for 34 coins.  Then I went back in time and submitted those same coins and asked for conservation on all of them.  Would they tell me conservation wouldn't help for 66 of those coins? (and charge me $5 for each assessment?)

I've read other people saying that conservation may not change the grade in many cases. If the conservation doesn't change the grade (can we ever know for sure) but the coin looks better, won't it likely increase the value when selling? 

On 12/17/2023 at 4:17 AM, hr1704 said:

I found this comment doing a search... a very unambiguous statement..

Hypothetical: Let's say I sent in 100 random coins and didn't select conservation and they recommended conservation for 34 coins.  Then I went back in time and submitted those same coins and asked for conservation on all of them.  Would they tell me conservation wouldn't help for 66 of those coins? (and charge me $5 for each assessment?)

I've read other people saying that conservation may not change the grade in many cases. If the conservation doesn't change the grade (can we ever know for sure) but the coin looks better, won't it likely increase the value when selling? 

My guess is that NCS would "conserve" most if not all of the coins since it was requested and charge the full amount, a good question for the Ask NGC sub forum, all the more reason to let NGC decide. Kind of like when someone sends in a parking lot coin and pays for the Mint Error service, they are going to charge you and take a look.

I sent in a 17 coin submission a few months back and 5 of the coins were recommended for NCS conservation, after the coins came back from conservation they all increased by 2-3 grades when returned to NGC for regrading, which has been typical in my experience. The risk you run with this is that there may be coins you were absolutely convinced needed conservation and they don't get recommended for it, that's why you're having NGC look at them first and then recommend NCS if it's needed.

If you sent all of your coins to NCS then to NGC you would have optimized their potential but likely frittered away $'s.

EDIT: 

Just read the other thread and it sounds like NCS will charge a $5 fee if they feel a coin would not benefit from conservation. Not a bad deal.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Since this is spilling out of one thread onto an old thread, if you send in 100 coins to NCS, they will go on a coin by coin basis (or case by case basis if you prefer). And you would probably end up with a smorgasborg of results. Not saying this is how it would go but this is how it could go :

NCS charges $5 per coin on 71 coins the fee for inspection and declines conservation on these 71 coins.

NCS conserves the remaining 29 coins. Of that 29, 16 coins grade the same as they did before conservation but have a better appearance, 10 coins grade higher than before conservation, and 3 grade lower than before conservation.

Since we are talking in hypotheticals here, now, would you be comfortable with 1 of the 100 being a $100,000 coin that actually ends up being one of 3 that grades lower?

Basically, and this applies to the discussion happening in the other thread where I wish this conversation was staying and not being split up like this, you need to decide for yourself if you want the coin conserved and also decide why? Is it because you think it will grade higher? look better? or does it have an actual problem that should be addressed before being slabbed? I would say in the last case, NGC would tell you that and they will notify you of such problem. As for the other two, if you want to chance it and pay for conservation for looks or an attempt at an upgrade at the grading table, that is your choice and your money. I have roughly now 500 slabs, all coins I submitted raw (except a few slab purchases). I roughly have sent around 20 out of the 500 for conservation. It is not an "umbrella" thing for me. I had my reasons for each coin I wanted conserved. But, basically I look for coins that don't need conservation. I look for quality coins with good surfaces. 

On 12/17/2023 at 12:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

NCS conserves the remaining 29 coins. Of that 29, 16 coins grade the same as they did before conservation but have a better appearance, 10 coins grade higher than before conservation, and 3 grade lower than before conservation.

Thanks @powermad5000!  You not only take the time to write out thorough responses, you also "read between the lines" to understand was was really being asked.  This is what I was really asking.

I'm sure this will be useful to others in the future.  Same goes for MOST of the other seasoned veterans who responded. ;) 

Edited by hr1704

Another risk you run with recommended conservation is that it reveals something below which results in a Details grade.  That occasionally happens to people who understandably get upset and rip into NGC on the forum.  But they don't have x-ray vision. :grin:

I will NEVER ask for conservation. Why? First, the fact that NGC will suggest it if it will help. Second, I don’t submit coins if I can see they need conservation. 

On 12/19/2023 at 4:03 PM, VKurtB said:

I will NEVER ask for conservation. Why? First, the fact that NGC will suggest it if it will help. Second, I don’t submit coins if I can see they need conservation. 

I'm not understanding your passionate opposition to this.  Is it because you conserve yourself?  I had coins with PVC haze and 1 with copper spots.  I don't know for sure if they would have recommended conservation for just haze.  They look much better now and I can't imagine anyone would prefer the haze.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:55 AM, hr1704 said:

I'm not understanding your passionate opposition to this.  Is it because you conserve yourself?  I had coins with PVC haze and 1 with copper spots.  I don't know for sure if they would have recommended conservation for just haze.  They look much better now and I can't imagine anyone would prefer the haze.

Yep, I would have treated the “haze” myself, with either acetone or “soapy ammonia” or both. I don’t see copper spots as worth worrying about.