• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Coin
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Welcome. Hey howdy you got a good one from first looks. Leave it where it is for now and remember never touch coins with your hands. 
I believe you have a very desirable coin. 
I’m not an expert at this series but there are many here who are. Thanks for posting. I will learn with you 😉

I would get this coin looked at by an American Numismatic Association dealer. It appears to be a 1795 flowing hair cent with a reeded edge. It could be very valuable. Please don’t let anyone but a reputable dealer appraise it. It would be definitely worth having the dealer have it graded at NgC

good luck

On 2/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

It appears to be a 1795 flowing hair cent with a reeded edge.

Not even close.

1795 S-76 The real question is does it have a lettered edge or a plan edge.  The lettered edge (S-76a) is an R-5 (31 to 75 known) and the plain edge (S-76b) is an R-1 (over 1000 estimated to exist)  The S-76 plain edge is the most common of the 1795 cents.  That said this is not in the typical condition seen.  This is a very desirable coin.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:37 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I am not knowledgeable on this cent. I do know that it is not a very common coin and one in that nice condition is hard to find. There are many counterfeit examples out there ? So I can not say one way or the other . I would post it in the newbie tread and see if one of the old timers can confirm its authenticity. Good Luck , MoM Boss

On 2/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Welcome. Hey howdy you got a good one from first looks. Leave it where it is for now and remember never touch coins with your hands. 
I believe you have a very desirable coin. 
I’m not an expert at this series but there are many here who are. Thanks for posting. I will learn with you 😉

Can we ask where/how you acquired this coin? 

Someone was smart enough to put it in a 2x2 flip.  Be careful of those staples!

On 2/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, Mom Boss said:

I’m a Licensed second hand dealer in NYC I’m a buyer of coins diamonds gold watches precious metals etc..I’ve had this coin for quite some time now. 

Hmmm, okay.  Nuff said.  Thank you.