• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fugio Cent History
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I just read some history about the fugio cents. It was very hard for someone like me to read. Lots of big words. Looks like our own Quintus Arrius wrote it.  It was a very interesting story. How James Jarvis couldnt fulfill his contract. And his crooked scheme with Duer. Etc. Also how the cents depriceated and the government was trying to find a buyer for the rest of them. Then it comes to poor old Royal Flint who bought the coins at face value on credit. He ended up getting stuck with nearly four hundred thousand of them.  It also says he was unable to pay his whole debt and the sheriff took him away. Just as the story got more interesting it ended. Does anyone know whatever happend to Flints hoard of Fugio cents? Were they melted down or is there any further info on where they went? The main question is, was the story I read accurate?  Be cool if there were some still stashed away out there somewhere. 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Where is Quintus ?  I saw no TOS violation, can anybody tell us what happened ?  Mods ?  

I wondered the same thing. Havent seen him in a few days. 

On 2/8/2022 at 3:18 PM, Conder101 said:

And for about 5,000 of them research Bank of New York Hoard

and here is an interesting link/image showing part of the hoard

https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n15a15.html

Very interesting article. Could you inmagine getting to open a bag of 5000 of them?  That would be so exciting. Thank you for sharing. Were those ever auctioned off or does anyone know what they done with them? I love the design of those. I hope to add one to my collection one of these days. Even if I do have to settle for a lesser grade. 

On 2/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, VKurtB said:

I’d prefer a “keg” AND a hoard of Fugios.

If you find a hoard of them ill furnish a keg if I can help you go through them. 

If anyone wants a digital copy of the above, I can send you the following 21 megabyte PDF file:

Douglas-James Jarvis Fugio 1949 mss reduced resolution-OCR.pdf

I also made a good pdf of the Bank of NY article from Feb 1977. It's about 688 kilobytes.

Edited by RWB

On 2/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, RWB said:

If anyone wants a digital copy of the above, I can send you the following 21 megabyte PDF file:

Douglas-James Jarvis Fugio 1949 mss reduced resolution-OCR.pdf

I also made a good pdf of the Bank of NY article from Feb 1977. It's about 688 kilobytes.

I wouldnt care to read it. Thank you Roger.