• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Monster Box Collection
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I have put together a set of Silver Eagles 1986-2021 in a green core. There is a True Monster Box that has a foam insert inside to hold the NGC storage boxes. My question is about the "SAFETY" of storing the coins inside the NGC storage box in the foam insert. Will the foam insert cause damage to the coins? I appreciate your help.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:59 PM, doug sikes said:

I have put together a set of Silver Eagles 1986-2021 in a green core. There is a True Monster Box that has a foam insert inside to hold the NGC storage boxes. My question is about the "SAFETY" of storing the coins inside the NGC storage box in the foam insert. Will the foam insert cause damage to the coins? I appreciate your help.

I believe the answer is, “eventually, yes.” When is eventually? I have no idea. 

On 2/8/2022 at 7:19 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I’ve had this kind around slabs and 2x2’s for years and had no problem 

30B06317-6AE4-460B-8DB1-88511EE024DF.jpeg

That looks exactly like the foam from my pop filter on a Sony microphone and it turned to sludge. Ditto the foam in my Zero Halliburton and Pelican camera cases. It all becomes nasty sludge eventually.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:04 AM, J P Mashoke said:

For un-slabed coins I use the AirTite holders and put them in a wooden cigar box. for slabed coins I just put them in the slab case

2021 Eagle.jpg

The Air-tite foam in another animal. Far denser. 

On 2/7/2022 at 10:59 PM, doug sikes said:

Let's see pictures of exactly what you're talking about.

The coins I have are in NGC slabs with a green core and special label. The NGC storage boxes are green and are inside of a monster box with a foam insert for the green storage boxes. The set was put together in 2016 as best as I can tell. I have seen several other companies offer the same set over the last few years. I was hoping the NGC slabs were protection enough but thought I would ask for some  help. Thank you Sir.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:18 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Sorry to hear that Kurt. Thanks for the heads up I’ll remove it.  😉

Don’t. It is really fine for 7-10 years. Then look out. Ya gotta occasionally keep an eyeball on it. 

I got this case as a gift Christmas of 2020. I’m still trying to figure out a use for it. Same low density foam with quarter-sized precuts  

A5B2B497-50F1-4282-B18E-F184D7B178AF.thumb.jpeg.c7680b1c05d6315fe911415fe798d75a.jpeg

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, James Zyskowski said:

It looks like part of a toning machine 😂

It’d be really good at that, probably even on clad. 

On 2/8/2022 at 10:52 AM, VKurtB said:

That looks exactly like the foam from my pop filter on a Sony microphone and it turned to sludge. Ditto the foam in my Zero Halliburton and Pelican camera cases. It all becomes nasty sludge eventually.

This post, combined with the post immediately preceding it, can be misleading.

When it comes to foams, there are generally two types:  Polyester Polyurethane and Polyether Polyurethane.  In the presence of moisture polyester degrades into a nasty sludge, for lack of a better description.  Polyether Polyurethane does not degrade from moisture.

To get around possibly potential problems, I went with a strongbox — for my Puzzle Box Gold collection — that uses Polyether Polyurethane foam.

But, not wanting to tempt fate in the slightest, within the strongbox foam is nested a silica gel desiccant, and the Puzzle Box — itself — just fits within a large Coin Armour, Corrosion Intercept, Zipper seal, comic book bag, and then, even more, within the Puzzle Box is yet another identical Coin Armour comic book size bag that holds my two stacks of seven coins each.

The whole thing is a remarkable marriage of available technologies that give me incredible peace of mind.  Seven years out, now, and no issues of degradation found, whatsoever.

Just read VKurtB's 7 - 10 years, all-good foam, and then thereafter, look out, warning.  What is nice to know is that the foam inserts of my strongbox can be purchased separately — 4-pc Replacement Foam Set — for $29.50.  This may very well be in my future.

Good to learn all of this.

On 2/9/2022 at 1:45 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Just read VKurtB's 7 - 10 years, all-good foam, and then thereafter, look out, warning.  What is nice to know is that the foam inserts of my strongbox can be purchased separately — 4-pc Replacement Foam Set — for $29.50.  This may very well be in my future.

Good to learn all of this.

When you have replacement foam available to you, do it. Eventually, companies are prone to discontinue products. That’s what happened to my camera case foam sets. 

I am very grateful for all the help. I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice. I will "TRY" to post a photo of the item. I am having laptop issues. Thank you again to everyone. Blessings.

My strongbox is a Pelican case.  It's interesting how the case has a lifetime warranty for the case, handle, hasps… but not the foam.

Interesting that I was just at the bank cashing a product warranty check for a PATTON space heater that failed on me after 4 years.

The warranty was for 5 years.  Had to ship it back on my own dime.  I just typed in the description of the space heater and the warranty detail is now only 3 years.

I got lucky.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:02 PM, doug sikes said:

Ebay item # 144266619317.  If you key in this item # on ebay you can see the exact item I have. There are multiple photos. I thought it was a unique way to store the set. If you get a chance let me know what you think. Thank you.

It looks fine to me.  No problem!

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 5.15.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 5.15.43 PM.png

On 2/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, tj96 said:

It looks fine to me.  No problem!

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 5.15.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 5.15.43 PM.png

I never realized monster boxes had interior foam. That does NOT look so bad. It looks like some fairly high density stuff to me. More like the material inside Airtites and even the anti-tarnish stuff. 

Just a little more follow up on foam for cases.

I used to be really into telescopes and so I had Dave Kriege make me one of his Dobsonian 15" f/4.5 Obsession Telescopes.  I just checked on the base of the telescope, where there is a nameplate, and it shows that the telescope date was January 1999.  With this beautiful new telescope I then ordered a a bunch of Tele vue lenses, a collimation laser, and a "gun case" with the foam to hold this stuff.  The name on the outside of the case shows Diskocil and I can find zero information on this manufacturer, so I have to assume the foam is polyether polyurethane.

I almost never open this case anymore, or even view through the telescope.  So, it remains closed virtually 100% of the time, probably for the last 8 years or so.

The foam is still intact and not degrading, it seems.  The last time I used it was 8 months ago, for just one night from my deck in the Spring of 2021.

So, the foam is at least 20 years old, and still holding up, while kept in a closed environment, undisturbed.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, VKurtB said:

I never realized monster boxes had interior foam. That does NOT look so bad. It looks like some fairly high density stuff to me. More like the material inside Airtites and even the anti-tarnish stuff. 

That's why I asked for pictures, so there's no confusion on what the OP is talking about.  This issue could have been resolved 20 posts ago if the OP had the ability to post pictures.

The foam inserts were created for this silver eagle set (1986-2016) 30th Anniversary. Several retailers have sold these over the years. Finest Known had them on their site a couple of years ago. PC and Stamp (I think is the name) is offering them now. I am sorry if I caused any issues not being able to post photos. I do thank each of you for your time and advice.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, doug sikes said:

The foam inserts were created for this silver eagle set (1986-2016) 30th Anniversary. Several retailers have sold these over the years. Finest Known had them on their site a couple of years ago. PC and Stamp (I think is the name) is offering them now. I am sorry if I caused any issues not being able to post photos. I do thank each of you for your time and advice.

The eBay number worked.  If you're having a hard time posting pictures, you can always search what you're talking about on-line then cut a paste a link to it here.