• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haven't disappeared from coin writing just yet....
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 10:29 AM, RWB said:

PS: The lander antennas have no engines or rocket motors. ;)

Huge British pub darts?

On 2/25/2022 at 4:59 PM, RWB said:

Well, in a way we can. All the physical processes present at the beginning are still there and working according to their rules. If we can understand the rules of the universe we can then predict, and envision the future - at lease on some utilitarian level. Many pieces already fall into place, but there's also much we don't understand or possibly even are aware of.  Talk about "dark matter" or "dark energy" 50 years ago, and the best physicists would have shaken their heads in disbelief.

I was there. It’s exactly what they were doing. 

On 2/25/2022 at 7:38 PM, RWB said:

The first EM signal strong enough to get very far were TV and radio from the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. See the film "Contact" [1997].

Jesse Owens leads our signals through the cosmos. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:39 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

My astronomy club has had numerous people from NASA who work on the JWST in recent years:

http://www.rocklandastronomy.com/neaftalks.html

NEAF is the premiere amateur (and professional !) astronomy show in the United States, bar none !! (thumbsu

Used to be a member of RAC, and attended the NEAF show at Rockland Community College.  This would have been around the year 2000.

Made my way up to Savoy, MA (Loop Road, Shady Pines Campground) for two SSP, lugging my Obsession 14.5" dobsonian telescope and Equatorial Platforms equatorial platform (original wood version) equipment, all in a little "sports" car packed to the gills with camping equipment.  You get your tent and scope set up and then you can visit The Berkshires area.

Back then, since I was leasing an Integra GT-S — brand new every three years — and therefore cruising those beautiful backroads out of North Adams on new tires, one of the highlights was to drive up to the summit of Mount Greylock with a really nice pair of Minolta 7 x 50 binoculars, up to the lookout point at the top, and really get a feel for the area.

Such a great way to spend a week off from work in the middle of the summer.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:09 AM, RWB said:

Quiz: A certain telescope is capable of photographing a dime on the surface of the moon. What date and design is the dime?

I bet whatever date it is everyone will see a DDO, RPM, and all kinds of encoded messages that the mint secretly struck into the coin to communicate with other life forms. 

On 3/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, Woods020 said:

I bet whatever date it is everyone will see a DDO, RPM, and all kinds of encoded messages that the mint secretly struck into the coin to communicate with other life forms. 

Was it run over by a "moon buggy?"

Isn't it amazing that our country, the United States of America, put a "moon buggy" on the Moon? (a rhetorical question)

In History, more and more as I get older, I think I was born at the perfect time.

And to think that I'm still alive and well, and all five of my brothers and sisters are also alive… and hopefully well…

So much to be thankful for.  Count your blessings… life is fleeting, and more so with each passing day.