• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auf Wiedersehen
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Welp, I headed out years ago without a word.  So, I won't do that again.  However, things have happened here that have made me realize that this isn't the place for me any longer.  There are too few things that I am interested in and want to talk about going on here and too many things that I'm not interested in and have no desire to talk about happening here.  I think that there are certain intersections that occur in certain areas of this hobby that don't work well for me, and these intersections are clearly manifesting here.  This isn't a place I feel good being in anymore.  I'm not enjoying it.  This is a hobby and its purpose is to be fun and to be a distraction from the mundane things and the bad things in life.  When a part of your hobby stops being fun and starts bringing additional mundane things and bad things into your life, it's time to disconnect and leave.  This Board has become that for me.  So, I'm saying Auf Wiedersehen at least for a while, maybe for good.  Not sure yet.  We'll see how things go.  

Mohawk, signing off.......

I'm not sure what specifically is bothering you, but I understand how you want to get away from troubles and not find more here.  

But you don't have to read posts with conflict between dueling heavyweights just like you can ignore threads on coins you have no interest in.

I wish there were MORE activity on the threads/coins I have interest in -- I recall before a major layout change that these forums seemed to be more heavily-trafficked -- but I can't control it.  So I probably check in 4-5 times for every 1 time I post or read a response to something that interests me.

Hope you stay or at least lurk from time-to-time, Mo. (thumbsu

Tom I am so sorry you are feeling badly about this forum, the hobby and other things that may be affecting your life. I hurt for you, my friend , and I don’t say that lightly! You have become a friend not just because of this forum but because of your kindness and generosity and your knowledge. I have enjoyed interacting ng, purchasing , and communicating directly with you over the past year. I ask you to reconsider after thinking it over. You have many friends here and we support you. PLEASE DON’T BAIL OUT ON US!

bleib dran freund
Bill

I look at it this way, all of the Seasoned Veterans have all the bases covered . The new players come from the YouTube generation where everything is free and anyone can be a millionaire without any effort. If we can help with our knowledge this hobby's integrity may still have a chance. I look and listen to what they have to say it can be fun if you keep it light hearted , I try to help and sometimes it is a loss, but we as veterans at least put forth the effort. I think your presence here is a great asset to numismatics and I for one would miss you words of wisdom and humor. I would hope you will reconsider after reading all the comments we have left for you here. If you must leave then I wish you all the best Tom.    

I guess beteen the novice and political stuff he just got worn out.  Maybe some time off to re-charge his batteries will work.  Hope so.

Things get heated here on coins alone, we add outside interests and passions we can blow the place up.  Unless the mods have a dedicated, separate site for politics, sports, current events, etc....best to leave that to other locations.

Tom sad to here this. You're such a good influence and inspirational to I and other's. We call You, JKK, Bob and Greenstang the Fantastic 4. We cross our fingers for one of you comment in our threads. When I say we, I'm talking about people around me that you and alot of guys on here inspired in learning so much about the hobby. At least I can keep the memories of you calling out my first find and and helping me with my last coin. Wherever you go keep inspiring other's of the hobby like you have done here for us. Tom you will be missed guy, Good Luck Out There. 

Tom, I hope you see this message...

Whatever the cause(s), I’m very sorry you’re feeling the way you are. I hope you return but in case not, I always enjoyed your posts and our interactions. Wishing you the very best. 

It was good talking to you.  You seemed very friendly and helpful (At least you helped me).  Good luck and fare well.  Thank you for sharing.

This is news to me, just noticing mention of it in another recent thread.  I think Mohawk will lurk for a while.  He's been active with coin collecting for a quarter of a century… you just can't turn that off like a spigot.

I was able to do a little detective work and found who may have made him decide to leave.  Then there is his general disappointment with money-maker-only posters compared to true collectors, and how that is a turnoff for him.

Finally, in my opinion, where he is located in the world, the region there seems to be going through difficult times right now and Winter will not lose its grip for some time, either.

So, I think we'll see more of him again, late Spring/early Summer, when days are longer and you look forward to what each new day has to bring, each day offering more warmth than the one before.

As a side note, a separate hobby I have to my small coin-collection hobby, the website recently introduced up arrows and down arrows there for a Comment Section.  The site is now very divisive, toxic you could say, and has really affected the interest of many there, and even I'm considering not renewing in May.  What I've learned is that it takes just a few people to ruin it for many others.  So, I'm hoping Spring will uplift my spirits, and give me new hope.

It's been a grueling few years for everyone, everywhere, so I understand Mohawk's discontent prompting him to leave this site… but a little time away just might be what "the doctor ordered."

Mohawk.......I am sorry to hear that you will not be with us anymore..  hopefully you will just take a little break and comeback and have some fun.