• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was given coins by my uncle when he passed but I'm clueless!!

21 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2022 at 6:37 PM, JKK said:

If the quarter is red as in fingernail polish, it was probably a vending machine/video game/pinball replacement coin. In those days, vending machine suppliers and operators gave nail-polished quarters to the people operating the establishment so that when the machine ate a quarter, they could supply a replacement. They still turn up in change, though I assume that their use declined as most such games ended up in arcades where tokens came into use instead.

Be prepared for most of the "errors" to turn out to be post-mint damage. At the top of this forum are some guidelines I penned to help people post their coins correctly. Feel free to review them before posting--it will save you a lot of trouble and help us to help you.

I almost asked that question while back. We find red painted quarters from time to time. I always wondered why people painted them red. Ive also found red painted nickels before. 

On 2/6/2022 at 6:37 PM, JKK said:

If the quarter is red as in fingernail polish, it was probably a vending machine/video game/pinball replacement coin. In those days, vending machine suppliers and operators gave nail-polished quarters to the people operating the establishment so that when the machine ate a quarter, they could supply a replacement. They still turn up in change, though I assume that their use declined as most such games ended up in arcades where tokens came into use instead.

Be prepared for most of the "errors" to turn out to be post-mint damage. At the top of this forum are some guidelines I penned to help people post their coins correctly. Feel free to review them before posting--it will save you a lot of trouble and help us to help you.

I see the old red quarters all the time. It reminds me of the Pinball Arcade before the ATARI games filled the room. 

On 2/7/2022 at 1:32 PM, RWB said:

The red (or other color) quarters were used to track the number of free plays given for each machine. That not only allowed the business to accurately determine revenue of each machine - and thus its popularity - but identified machines that malfunctioned more than average. (Many game parlors leased machines, and one that was malfunctioning - requiring more free plays - hurt the business' revenue. Business owners could use their free play percentage data to demand replacement of a specific machine by the lessor.)

I mistakenly thought this was common knowledge. 

On 2/7/2022 at 11:19 PM, VKurtB said:

I mistakenly thought this was common knowledge. 

I literally didnt know. That was a couple days before my time. Or according to this quarter I found today, a couple years before I was born anyways. I never got out much. Wasnt much to do like that out in the country where we lived.  But I find red quarters and nickels constantly. Heres one I got back in change today on my lunchbreak. I almost ask that question while back why people painted them red back in the day. Ive seen them my whole life and always wondered why Ive seen so many. Now I know. RoundPhoto_Feb092022_213311.thumb.png.fb1254745dd5baef0608cb90948438a8.png

On 2/9/2022 at 8:45 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I literally didnt know. That was a couple days before my time. Or according to this quarter I found today, a couple years before I was born anyways. I never got out much. Wasnt much to do like that out in the country where we lived.  But I find red quarters and nickels constantly. Heres one I got back in change today on my lunchbreak. I almost ask that question while back why people painted them red back in the day. Ive seen them my whole life and always wondered why Ive seen so many. Now I know. RoundPhoto_Feb092022_213311.thumb.png.fb1254745dd5baef0608cb90948438a8.png

Classic “house quarter” for a jukebox system. 

On 2/6/2022 at 3:37 PM, JKK said:

Here are some photos of the front and back of the 1977 quarter I was talking about!! Which I have new info on since writing this post. I had the town jeweler look at it and he said that this coin is 40% silver and that the red color is due to a casting error that although it is rare it does happen!!! So what does that mean and what should I do with it at this point because I can't find a '77 Denver mint that's silver online!?

16446971022025121826680527295531.jpg

16446971325291404907413061407378.jpg

Well my first suggestion is that you be very careful before buying any coins from that fellow, your qtr looks to have been buried in the ground and is suffering from environmental damage.   The reason you cannot find any info about a silver qtr from 1977 minted at the Denver mint is because there were no silver quarters produced at the Denver mint for 1977.  I do not know how this jeweler came to his conclusion, however as there were no quarters made of silver at any mint in 1977 I'm very certain that he has given you some bad information.   

There were some 40% silver quarters produced in 1976, however those were only produced at the San Francisco mint.   If he offered more than $1 for it, you should run back and take him up on that offer.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/12/2022 at 2:27 PM, Chance3742 said:

Here are some photos of the front and back of the 1977 quarter I was talking about!! Which I have new info on since writing this post. I had the town jeweler look at it and he said that this coin is 40% silver and that the red color is due to a casting error that although it is rare it does happen!!! So what does that mean and what should I do with it at this point because I can't find a '77 Denver mint that's silver online!?

16446971022025121826680527295531.jpg

16446971325291404907413061407378.jpg

YIKES! Strictly one thing - corrosion damage. NOT 40% silver. 0% silver. Two metals only - copper and nickel. 

Edited by VKurtB

Also it's not a nail-polish-painted replacement quarter for vending machines. That would be a bright red, kind of a magenta in many cases, and would clearly look like paint with residue persistent in protected areas.

Although it may be tempting to take the word of your local jeweler - whom you may know personally - over the word of some old guys on a chat board - whom you have never met - the information you got from your jeweler is wrong. As far as US coins are concerned, neither quarters nor the blanks from which they are struck are cast, so a "casting error" is out of the question. The odds of your coin being 40% silver are basically zero, as well.

Looks like a metal detector find or one someone picked up out of the dirt. I agree it looks to have been buried at on time and just corroded. Ive dug them up before that look just like that. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 2/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, Chance3742 said:

I had the town jeweler look at it and he said that this coin is 40% silver and that the red color is due to a casting error that although it is rare it does happen!!!

He was probably referring to a missing clad layer error, which this coin is not, and zero chance that this is a silver planchet. Too many times have I read, on this forum, poor information given to a new collector from their local jeweler and I wouldn't take any coins to this one again. (tsk)

On 2/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, Chance3742 said:

So what does that mean and what should I do with it at this point because I can't find a '77 Denver mint that's silver online!?

Spend it. 

I am utterly gobsmacked how completely ignorant so-called jewelers are. We give them far too much credit for having even a very lonely single solitary clue. They’re retailers, nothing more. Hucksters. Sometimes i-d-i-o-t-s, but always hucksters. 

Edited by VKurtB

So what does that mean and what should I do with it at this point because I can't find a '77 Denver mint that's silver online!?

Nothing. You can’t find it online because no such thing exists. Your jeweler is a m-o-r-o-n.