• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing Info on Graded Coin
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Filling out paperwork to get coins graded is not that easy.  Not much room for added info.  When you have a Franklin half dollar with FBL or other coins with extra things that should be added to the encapsulated coin is it my job to get that info on the paperwork?

Kath13 filing taxes is easier than that NGC form! I make mistakes every time I submit one! That said, the experts at NGC are very good at figuring out what needs to be done. Any specific effects such as FBL or DD and such should be indicated under attribution .

even with that they see so many coins,   They usually will find whatever may be special about any coin. They are experts and inspect millions of coins. You can also attach a descriptive note to the coin holder as I did recently with an 1887 Morgan suspected VAM. A person in receiving called me to adjust the tier for that one. 
submit away, they’ll figure it out.

The authentication companies have different groups of employees handling several kinds of submissions. Most TPG work comes from bulk orders - the junk sold on TV, etc. A smaller group of people handle submission of real humans, like the OP, and are experienced in understanding what collectors want. Your coin will be handled by people who understand coin collectors, not TV sellers.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:31 AM, Kath13 said:

Filling out paperwork to get coins graded is not that easy.  Not much room for added info.  When you have a Franklin half dollar with FBL or other coins with extra things that should be added to the encapsulated coin is it my job to get that info on the paperwork?

Most designators like FBL or FS, FT or FH are added to the label if NGC feels the coin meets their requirements, it will automatically be noted on the label you do not have to do anything special in filling out the paperwork.   Keep in mind that just because you think a coin is FBL or has full steps does not mean that NGC will agree.   If you need a specific variety attributed, then that you need to provide the variety you feel is correct on the form and pay the extra fee.

If you want you can fill out the denomination field as $.50 FBL to help highlight your feelings about the designation you think the coin deserves, I doubt that it would make much difference but it should not hurt anything.

@Kath13 I understand your concerns. 

I recently submitted my first order.  There is a learning curve with submissions for sure.   I requested the "reverse" of my coins to be holder-ed on the "front" of the holder.  I highlighted my request, on the submission form, plus (along with the submission number & line number) on the 2 1/2x 2 1/2 flips.  I just hope I'm doing it right...  Assuming my attribution comes back as I hope. 

I hope I don't get a phone call scolding or reprimand me!  :grin:

Edited by tj96

Coinbuf gave great advice. Here is a resource that may be helpful. You can see varieties NGC recognizes, as well as if there is a fee to attribute. If you see a few associated that means you need to opt into variety attribution on the submission form. Most of the basic attributes like FBL, FT, FS, etc are part of standard grading as Coinbuf said. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/half-dollars/

Edited by Woods020

Thank you all for replying.  I am just a little disappointed with this round of grading.  Once I get my coins back I will go over them again.  Right now they are marked as shipped.  I can see the images and grading and what is on the capsule.

As hard as I tried to mess up my Submission, ignore the TPG's email to me and stammer and stutter through the phone call to Customer Service the TPG (ATS) got it 100% perfect  You can trust the Graders et al at NGC to do the best they can for you.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kath13 said:

Thank you all for replying.  I am just a little disappointed with this round of grading.  Once I get my coins back I will go over them again.  Right now they are marked as shipped.  I can see the images and grading and what is on the capsule.

While it can be a hard pill to swallow take solace in the knowledge that most of us have been there.   Sometimes it can help you learn, and others are just what the heck moments.

Ok I did talk to customer service and I am disappointed.  To have FBL added to my capsule they said it was a variety plus and would cost $18 more a coin.  That would go for my 1957 and the steps and the 1957 with the full torch. 

Tejas,  if this is so why did they not add FBL on my coin?    My Franklin half dollar is graded PF 67.  They gave it an $80 value when the price guide says $2450.  There must be a charge I am not aware of. 

On 2/7/2022 at 12:56 PM, tejas1836 said:

I believe the customer service representative was mistaken.

The following is from the NGC website:

NGC utilizes numerous other designations that do not, however, constitute varieties. These include designations such as FH for Full Head, FT for Full Torch and FBL for Full Bell Lines. Likewise, the designations BN, RB and RD for Brown, Red-Brown and Red, respectively, are not varieties. NGC assigns a + to coins at the high end of their assigned grade, approaching the quality requirements for the next grade. The coveted star  designation is utilized by NGC to identify coins that have exceptional eye appeal that distinguish them from other coins of the same technical grade. All of these are designations that NGC's graders look for in the normal course of grading. They are not classified as varieties, they do not require an additional fee, and they do not need to be submitted under VarietyPlus.

This issue needs to be addressed by NGC. Giving out untrue information is not good for a company's reputation, especially with turnaround times being so much longer than the stated estimated time.

On 2/7/2022 at 12:17 PM, Kath13 said:

Tejas,  if this is so why did they not add FBL on my coin?    My Franklin half dollar is graded PF 67.  They gave it an $80 value when the price guide says $2450.  There must be a charge I am not aware of. 

The $80 value would be for the PF 67. I suspect you might have looked at the price guide list for a MS 67. Price guides list mint state (MS) coins and proof (PF) coins separately.

On 2/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, Kath13 said:

Tejas, That I did. 

Kath,

It may be to your advantage to post some of the coins you are about to submit here and get some feedback before spending the money. Not trying to dissuade you in any way, but numismatics is a complex hobby as you are learning. It is difficult when you first start out to make sense of it all, and that is where we can try and be of help. For example, the Franklin halves you are wanting to send in. If they are circulation strike coins you should get opinions on if they are really full bands or not. Those halves are a heartbreaker, and they are strict on giving that attribution. More often than not people feel it is FBL but it isn't, and they find that out the expensive way. If they are proof as Bob stated FBL doesn't apply. We would rather see you get a good start in the hobby and stick with it than spend unneeded money and be turned off from collecting by the results. 

Edited by Woods020

On 2/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, Just Bob said:

This issue needs to be addressed by NGC. Giving out untrue information is not good for a company's reputation, especially with turnaround times being so much longer than the stated estimated time.

So so so many new people now at NGC. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:17 PM, Kath13 said:

They gave it an $80 value when the price guide says $2450.

Cameo and Ultra Cameo are where the big bucks are for Franklin proofs, even more so in higher grades. I'd say the NGC price guide is a little optimistic at $80 based on ebay listings. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:40 PM, Kath13 said:

Coins are really not my thing but last year when I stumbled on a coin collection it was a no brainer. 

We look forward to hearing more about your coins, and would be happy to assist if you have any other questions. (thumbsu So what did the collection consist of and how did you stumble upon it?