• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1846 braided hair large cent
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I am not a collector of these coins but looking at the devices and dental it all looks off to me. It's to fat or puffed up. Just my opinion. Someone here with more knowledge on these could give you a better idea. 

Edited by J P Mashoke

I agree with JP & JT.   It doesn't look right.  Plus, your pictures.  Is the coin cleaned or are the pictures washed out, to light or over exposed?

There is really nothing that we can tell you about the authenticity of the coin from these photos.   It appears to be legit is all I can say, and that opinion might change with better photos or an in hand look.   It is a medium date coin (there are three, small, medium, and tall date) or if a fake modeled after a medium date.   If it is legit, it looks like it has been cleaned harshly and is not worth much, again better photos could change all that I've said.

20220204_232610(1).thumb.jpg.4a89d696b9a8486795729ee0c297c269.jpg20220204_231538(1).thumb.jpg.a075faba664fb4ff817677e93e951281.jpg @Just Bob @Coinbuf @JT2 @J P Mashoke maybe these are better if not ill do it again. Till i get it right. Also coin weight 10.74g but i believe my scale is off a bit cause i checked it with 4 nickels and 3 out 4 show 4.82g ish  rather than 5g with the 4th showing 5. I dont own calibration weights so hopefully itll still be useful this time. Gonna order new set though soon. And 27.22mm diameter anything else that maybe helpful to you guys just ask ill be glad to get it posted

Guess my real question should been is this coin worth sending into NGC for grading?

Edited by JAnsley

On 2/4/2022 at 1:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

There is really nothing that we can tell you about the authenticity of the coin from these photos.   It appears to be legit is all I can say, and that opinion might change with better photos or an in hand look.   It is a medium date coin (there are three, small, medium, and tall date) or if a fake modeled after a medium date.   If it is legit, it looks like it has been cleaned harshly and is not worth much, again better photos could change all that I've said.

I thought it was a small date but its a med.? They have the ball 6 (or what i call it) or am i misinformed or just looking at the coin wrong? Js im not aruging with you just trying to learn and understand better. If it comes of as argumentative i do apologize as thats not my intention

On 2/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, JAnsley said:

20220204_232610(1).thumb.jpg.4a89d696b9a8486795729ee0c297c269.jpg20220204_231538(1).thumb.jpg.a075faba664fb4ff817677e93e951281.jpg @Just Bob @Coinbuf @JT2 @J P Mashoke maybe these are better if not ill do it again. Till i get it right. Also coin weight 10.74g but i believe my scale is off a bit cause i checked it with 4 nickels and 3 out 4 show 4.82g ish  rather than 5g with the 4th showing 5. I dont own calibration weights so hopefully itll still be useful this time. Gonna order new set though soon. And 27.22mm diameter anything else that maybe helpful to you guys just ask ill be glad to get it posted

Guess my real question should been is this coin worth sending into NGC for grading?

Looks like a tall date to me. I believe this is a legitimate coin that has been circulated then polished. Looks like it had a nice rim fin also.

This would not be a candidate to spend money on grading. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:42 AM, Woods020 said:

Looks like a tall date to me. I believe this is a legitimate coin that has been circulated then polished. Looks like it had a nice rim fin also.

This would not be a candidate to spend money on grading. 

@Woods020 thank you i also have a 1845 i purchased at same time and have the same question on it do i need to start new thread or can i post them here also?

On 2/5/2022 at 12:53 AM, JAnsley said:

@Woods020 thank you i also have a 1845 i purchased at same time and have the same question on it do i need to start new thread or can i post them here also?

Generally the guidance is to start a new thread for each coin. 

The 1846 is not a desirable coin nor worth spending money to have it returned in a body bag. At best, it is worth a couple of dollars in its present condition. If your 1845 looks similar, then it, too, is not a good collector coin. Your comment implies you paid more than your feel appropriate. Only you can make that decision.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:29 AM, RWB said:

The 1846 is not a desirable coin nor worth spending money to have it returned in a body bag. At best, it is worth a couple of dollars in its present condition. If your 1845 looks similar, then it, too, is not a good collector coin. Your comment implies you paid more than your feel appropriate. Only you can make that decision.

I only paid $1.77 apiece for them but was hoping at least one were good enough for grading as this is coin im missing for registry U.S. type set. If not for that reason then i would never consider grading any large cent minted after classic head with the exception of a couple of dates. Which does really matter cause those couple dates are rare and ill neverbe able to afford them anyhow.  

On 2/5/2022 at 1:19 AM, JAnsley said:

I only paid $1.77 apiece for them but was hoping at least one were good enough for grading as this is coin im missing for registry U.S. type set. If not for that reason then i would never consider grading any large cent minted after classic head with the exception of a couple of dates. Which does really matter cause those couple dates are rare and ill neverbe able to afford them anyhow.  

Between your new photos and price I can say that I'm leaning towards not geniune.   For sure the new photos show signs of very harsh cleaning or polishing lines.   I would avoid this seller if your goal is to find coins that are viable for slabbing.

Also I id'd your coin as a medium because the medium date has the ball top 6, but as I look closer it seems like the 6 is shaped more like a small date.   However, the small date should not have a ball top 6, which is confusing.   It's possible that it is a small date that took a hit to the end of the six and over time with wear and the cleaning or polishing that it now resembles a ball top 6.

At any rate for $1.77 each fake, real, small, medium, is all rather moot and the silver lining is that your downside is next to nothing, what is 100% for sure is that neither of these coins is worth spending $40 each to have slabbed as they will come back as not genuine or at best cleaned.

Edited by Coinbuf

Frankly, a nice properly graded XF cent will be inexpensive and a much nicer coin for a "register" set or the like.

On 2/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, JAnsley said:

Agree with others. At that price I would change my opinion. Long story short the coins aren’t right. Either they were once original and have been highly altered through aggressive cleaning or they are counterfeit. Regardless of which way it landed they aren’t worth anything to a collector. I’m actually happy to see you only paid that amount and it seals the deal on counterfeit more than likely. 

Thanks everyone and i picked them up so cheap because i got them from an ESTATE AUCTION here local and i was the only one who bid everyone else there wanted the equipment and guns. But then again my luck is there counterfeits..oh well maybe next time..again thanks

Try comparing against images of some graded examples or PCGS' Photograde.  Photos however can sometimes be difficult to judge by due to various coin conditions.  I have some mixed thoughts on the coin but not an expert.  Take it to a local coin shop where it can be looked at more closely.

*Updated to add an image pulled from Google for the various 1846 date types. 

1846-small-vs-medium-vs-tall-date-braided-hair-large-cent (1).jpg

Edited by MN1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, MN1 said:

Try comparing against images of some graded examples or PCGS' Photograde.  Photos however can sometimes be difficult to judge by due to various coin conditions.  I have some mixed thoughts on the coin but not an expert.  Take it to a local coin shop where it can be looked at more closely.

*Updated to add an image pulled from Google for the various 1846 date types. 

1846-small-vs-medium-vs-tall-date-braided-hair-large-cent (1).jpg

Yeah, I always though the “droopy 6” was a diagnostic of the small date. 

On 2/5/2022 at 10:34 PM, VKurtB said:

Yeah, I always though the “droopy 6” was a diagnostic of the small date. 

Thats what i always thought why i had it figured as a small date but im far from an expert. And @MN1 i look to pcgs often if im unsure of a coin variety and compare photos it very useful. 

On 2/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, Just Bob said:

We do all understand that this coin is not real, right?

Doesn’t matter. It’s modeled after a real coin at least. And the falling over droopy 6 says small date.