• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding adjustment marks

21 posts in this topic

That is simply where the scratching began. Someone scraping with a cut key or wire pipe brush, etc.

This would be a good thread to post the Morgan I have with the draw bench marks on it. So new collectors can see the difference between drawbench marks and damage. Ive posted this one before in another thread. I bought this coin at the time just because of the marks. Then had it certified.  Its an 1878 S graded MS65. Lumii_20220203_231943080.thumb.jpg.559d023cc8b4673abbff00f0b6dfbcad.jpgLumii_20220203_232154822.jpg.863793e52e2628b48419d4d08c95c86a.jpg

I just got done reading about the adjusters today. The coin I posted above dosent have anything to do with them. Be cool if someone had a coin to post with file marks from adjusters. Would let newbies like me see the differance between adjustment marks, drawbench marks, and damage. 

Heartbreaking to see someone scratch up a coin to see if its real. Brought back memories from a few years ago i seen a man scratching a coin with his pocket knife to see if it was silver. Cant remember what kind it was.  Was back many years before I was a collector. Didnt bother me at the time but now I collect it would drive me crazy. It may have been an old cull coin.  I cant say for sure. 

As far as Morgans go certain dates are notorious for striations which are vertical lines on the planchets from drawing strips. The reason you can see these lines is simply because the strike is week. Thes can often be seen on certain Morgan Dollars with week strikes one being 1902-S as well as some Carson City coins.

What we like to call "weak strikes" can be caused by several things, not just low striking pressure. The result is a coin with diminished high point detail.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, improper annealing of the planchet is one cause, and improper hardening of the dies is another. The New Orleans Mint was prone to both, especially after about 1882.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I just got done reading about the adjusters today. The coin I posted above dosent have anything to do with them. Be cool if someone had a coin to post with file marks from adjusters. Would let newbies like me see the differance between adjustment marks, drawbench marks, and damage. 

The obverse of this coin has some remaining marks from filing that striking didn't obscure.

It's funny - in my own mind, when I think of adjusters, I drift to a Wicked Witch of the West type scenario with the adjusting lady/ladies in their wicked voice saying - give me that gold my pretty and filing grains at a time.

1796 Obv.jpg

1796 Rev.jpg

Until 1850 adjusters were male. Franklin Peale hired women because he thought they would be more meticulous in the work and he cold pay them much less.

(See: JNR Issue #2, Page 108. HIRING OF WOMEN TO ADJUST PLANCHETS AND OPERATE PRESSES – 1850.
Men were employed to adjust planchets and operate presses until early 1850 when women were given a trial as adjusters by coiner Franklin Peale. His innovation was to turn a significant part of the coining process over entirely to female employees, and to do this within a major government bureau. His decision was evidently inspired by a combination of errors by the male adjusters, and the drive to save money.)