• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown early china knife coin i think

10 posts in this topic

Ive been unable to find any thing on this. Except that its a china cash knife im interested in purchasing it but trying to make sure im not over paying for it. I've been unable to translate it, so therefore the year is unknown. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully the photos will work there what i been able to take with this phone  

Screenshot_20220131-140122.png

Screenshot_20220131-140402.png

I had a spin through Hartill (one of the bibles of cast Chinese coins) and did not see that shape. Most knife money images in the catalog don't have rounded ends on the blade part, but look sort of like scimitars with real long handles. I would worry a bit about the authenticity until I found one like it; could just be a souvenir piece.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:57 PM, JKK said:

I had a spin through Hartill (one of the bibles of cast Chinese coins) and did not see that shape. Most knife money images in the catalog don't have rounded ends on the blade part, but look sort of like scimitars with real long handles. I would worry a bit about the authenticity until I found one like it; could just be a souvenir piece.

Heritage auction sold one similar to it i did finally find but the marking where a little different. I dont read the language so im not sure what eithier of them said. But due to that i feel there a chance the authenticity of it has a chance but then again thats why im on here asking the experts

On 1/31/2022 at 4:20 PM, gmarguli said:

A medal/charm/amulet in the design of Chinese key money. Here is the same design in a recent Stack's Lot.

Probably made in the 19th century, not 2,000 years ago like real ones. 

Guess ill probably pass on it then! If it was alittle cheaper id get it just cause its neat as $μ¡Г but its not. Thanks everyone for the information really appreciate it. 

On 1/31/2022 at 3:52 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Well would you look at that. I love this place, 1 minute ago I had no idea such things as this existed. Cool, and I’ll learn with you 😉

Your not alone i didn't know as well till i came across this one that thought dang that's a conversation piece 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, JAnsley said:

Your not alone i didn't know as well till i came across this one that thought dang that's a conversation piece 

Make em an offer. It’s still neato 😉🙀
Remember there’s lots of stuff on eBay let alone all the others. Chose wisely 😸

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 1/31/2022 at 6:51 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Make em an offer. It’s still neato 😉🙀
Remember there’s lots of stuff on eBay let alone all the others. Chose wisely 😸

Well it wasn't on eBay or goodwill this time. I made an offer though just for grins and no response as of yet