• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie coin grading
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Good morning all.  I am new and trying to understand what to look for vs what to put back in the box for another year. I selected a 1976 proof set from my dads collection.  Black box with the stripper red velvet couch box. I am focusing on the Kennedy half at the moment. I understand these are only worth money in high quality.  How do I figure that out?  Also this seems to be a year that they made a few finishes. Am I right to assume this is a clad type 4?  Is this coin worth breaking out?   Thank you for looking.  Tom. 

8D64BF0A-0CD5-4A96-BBD2-FC8E22F77AAA.jpeg

D85D4A69-F45C-4DAB-9866-39DE81FC1325.jpeg

0DC8F612-C127-4D04-94F0-DEE460221D88.jpeg

Figuring it out on your own would (fortunately or unfortunately) take time and research on your part. 

My initial thought on this proof set, no.  Since it's from your dad's collection, I'd suggest keeping it together as a family heirloom. 

From a grading standpoint it would need to grade as PF70UCAM to be worth the cost of grading, from your photos it does not even look to be CAM, but different photos might change my assessment.  What is your plan for the coin?   Are you wanting to crack this out and add to a set of Kennedy halves raw, or send it in for grading?   Yes it is a type 4 but I cannot tell if you have the clad (I think it is) or the silver.   

No, I think I will leave the 1970 proof sets alone for now. I did spot a 1981 and I think this has the rare S mint mark. I need to get my microscope in from Amazon as I am blind from looking at coins for a week.  That might be worth a crack open. 

Welcome Tgcisland .It is the clad set I have a some of them . It is not worth cracking the 76 out or the 81 set . When they first found the type 2  1981 the mint set was big money if it had the SBA with the type 2 . Now I think it is only big money if all the coins have the type 2 in the set. I may be wrong but that's what I have heard. Mowhawk may have something to add if he comes on.