• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes I just don’t understand people on ebay.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I was watching this coin auction hoping to get it for under the BIN price of the same coin from the same seller. They actually have 3 or 4 of these at the BIN of $286. So I am about to place a bid, and the price jumps up to this. I just don’t get it. I’ll bet the seller is laughing all the way to the bank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Jefferson-Nickel-NGC-MS67-GEM-BU-A4-409-009-/393877366882?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

How to auction like a boss:

1. Never impulse buy - Know what you are after, and what it's worth.
  2. Buy the right coin first, then get the deal (not the other way around).
  3. Set an auction limit for the item (consider the juice)
  4. Stick to your limit
  5. STICK TO YOUR LIMIT

On 1/25/2022 at 5:07 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Yup, it's called "auction fever."  People lose rational though, jump into the heat of competition, and bid until they win. I see it happen all the time.  Honestly, winning at auction has a certain thrill, and that enjoyment (the hunt) is an important part of the hobby. Even if it doesn't always make sense. 

The Winner's Curse, I believe they call it. (thumbsu 

Some people put in a very high initial bid so they don't have to watch the auction.  They then get bumped up to over retail by other bidders.

I was bidding on a old book and at the last moment I hit too many zeros and bid of 500 instead of 50. I was out bid. I almost had a heart attack.

The book was worth about 100.