• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cameo vs. Ultra Cameo

8 posts in this topic

How can you tell the difference between Cameo and Ultra Cameo coins?

I just found a 1952 Proof Franklin half dollar that I believe it's either a Cameo or Ultra Cameo. I really hope it's UC.

The pics were taken with my phone. I will try again tomorrow once I get my good camera lens from my daughter. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

image0 (1).jpeg

image1 (6).jpeg

There needs to be contrast between the devices and fields, telling the difference between PF, PFC and PFUC just takes time and experience. Plus it can be really tough to tell based on photos, looks like yours could be cameo but it's hard to say. I'll wait for the better pics.

Here's an article from NGC about the three proof designations. https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6586/learn-grading-cameo-ultra-cameo/

I always judge by the way teh main image looks..  if it looks like it is sitting on a highlypolished mirror completely distinct from the background i call it UC

You really need the coin in hand to tell the difference. You cannot tell from a picture.

Generally to be UC, the frosting has to fully cover the effigy and legend when viewed from all directions under full lighting conditions. There can be no bright areas showing anywhere.

HC viewed under the same lighting the frosting will not be evenly applied nor full showing some bright areas.

I have found that it is very hard to find Ultra Cameo before 1964 Cameo yes. Not imposable just hard to find UC in earlier years. 

On 1/24/2022 at 1:07 AM, MESmagner said:

How can you tell the difference between Cameo and Ultra Cameo coins?

You can't. Both are subjective terms without empirical definitions. Thus, the difference between "cameo" and "ultra cameo" is also subjective and will vary with the observer, or whatever language the slabbing company cares to stick on a label.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, RWB said:

You can't. Both are subjective terms without empirical definitions. Thus, the difference between "cameo" and "ultra cameo" is also subjective and will vary with the observer, or whatever language the slabbing company cares to stick on a label.

So true.  And in some cases, a particular grading company may completely disregard cameo or ultra cameo on a coin based on an arbitrary definition assigned to a particular coin by a price guide.

Edited by Mohawk