• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie requesting input#2 - 1978D Kennedy "No FG" - Legit?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone:

I've recently gotten into coin collecting & am really enjoying it. Joined NCG last week and am considering investing in getting several coins certified and would like to request input from more knowledgeable enthusiasts like yourselves with a few coins I am having trouble getting my mind around due to inexperience.

I came across what appears to be a 1978D Kennedy Half "No FG" with the naked eye and with a 10X there is no sign of the FG. However, the surface of the coin from where the FG should be down to "OLLA" in "DOLLAR" at 5X & 10X appears slightly different. There is no obvious signs the FG has been scratched or rubbed off but I realize the limitations of my camera lack good clarity when magnified. I also was under the impression the Kennedy "No FGs" were a Philly mint over polishing phenomenon in earlier years and not something that happened in Denver, but perhaps I'm wrong. Nonetheless any advice you're willing to depart would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time - JFD

1978D No FG2.jpg

1978D No FG3 (2).jpg

1978D No FG3.jpg

1978D No FG1.jpg

From these pictures I can’t say for sure. I don’t see FG, but I also can’t make out most of the coin. I can’t stress enough how important it is to post a clear, well focused pic of front and back of the coin. We can be a lot of help if we have that. 

With these it is important to note there can’t be any trace of FG. Weak doesn’t count. 

Edited by Woods020

Underestood and thanks again! I'll figure something out with the camera/phone and not repeat the same mistake. This is literally my time posting here so I appreciate your candor & patience.

To the best of your knowledge, did Denver also produce No FG Kennedy's or was it entirely a Philly thing? 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:12 PM, JFDascher said:

Underestood and thanks again! I'll figure something out with the camera/phone and not repeat the same mistake. This is literally my time posting here so I appreciate your candor & patience.

To the best of your knowledge, did Denver also produce No FG Kennedy's or was it entirely a Philly thing? 

Not something I specialize in, but to my understanding it’s theoretically possible with any of them. Some are more known and sought after, but any possible. It occurs when the die is over polished and it removes the designers initials.