• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie requesting input#1 - 1958 Wheat with Obv. & Rev die chips - anything special
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone:

I've recently gotten into coin collecting & am really enjoying it. Joined NCG last week and am considering investing in getting several coins certified and would like to request input from more knowledgeable enthusiasts like yourselves with a few coins I am having trouble getting my mind around due to inexperience. The first is this 1958 wheat penny: There are potential die chips; one on the obverse seen in the filled in upper half of the "8" and on the reverse seen in the wheat directly next to the "S".

I believe these are legit die chips but I'm not sure. If they are, is there anything special about this coin having to distinct die chips or is this a commonality for this coin?

Any advice you're willing to depart would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time - JFD

1958 Rev (2).jpg

1958 Rev (3).jpg

1958 Obv (2).jpg

1958 Obv (3).jpg

Welcome to the forum. Your pictures are too blurry to give any information, but generally speaking die chips aren’t rare, aren’t considered an error, and do not add value. There are a few exceptions but not many. 

As far as submitting coins for submission you would probably do well to submit the coins here before you spend the money. You can get a pretty good idea of what you have and if it is worth submitting. With that said clear pictures are essential. Please post clear pictures front and back of the coin. Make sure it is well focused and cropped to fill as much of the screen as possible without losing detail/focus. 

Thank you Woods020 for your very helpful advice; it will be followed.... and my apologies for the poor picture quality Time to invest in a proper magnification camera.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, JFDascher said:

Thank you Woods020 for your very helpful advice; it will be followed.... and my apologies for the poor picture quality Time to invest in a proper magnification camera.

A cell phone will do just fine. Just make sure it is well focused. Maybe put the phone on something to hold it steady. You don’t need fancy equipment or anything special.