• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people refuse to think logically about coins?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, MarkFeld said:

Because the desire/wish to have something valuable, can easily overcome facts, common sense and logic. 

Completely agree. I can understand wanting to question it and be certain, but after pointing out two or three glaringly obvious issues on the counterfeit compared to original you would think they would accept that. But it seems sometimes there is nothing that will convince them. If it was questionable I could see wanting more info, but come on. Mam this thing is so obviously fake even a non collector can quickly see it. 

On 1/18/2022 at 9:53 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Also, she may not have known that you and most collectors are de facto "experts" by way of studying coins, fakes, grading, etc.

They may literally think that a coin collector is like a baseball card collectors...we just buy 'em and save 'em and forget about 'em. (thumbsu

That’s fair. I don’t present myself as an expert, and in no way believe I am. I would quickly tell her I am no expert. I don’t blame her for questioning my knowledge, but she can see with her own eyes this is a bad fake. But to Mark’s point the desire of the jackpot outweighs and logic. It will just take time and a few opinions for it to sink in. 

Edited by Woods020

On 1/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, Just Bob said:

Not if the person passing the coin down was her father. Even a grown woman can still think that her father was infallible. And, if he was thought to be an expert collector, it will be hard to convince her that he could have been fooled by anyone or any coin.

I think this is a great point. And who knows her father may have known full well that it was a counterfeit and he kept it as a novelty. This situation is what got me to thinking about how best to prepare my collection. When he passed a month ago and she first mentioned his collection and the family being totally lost it concerned me. 

Note to collectors don’t assume your family knows your thoughts. Document well and call out what you took for granted as common knowledge. 

Emotional connections are much stronger than we like to admit. The friend of your mother was only making a superficial reference to the fake coin. The coin was an emotional substitute for her father. Your factual response was perceived as a threat or repudiation of her father. The comment “I don’t think he would have had a counterfeit” is a clear, defensive response equivalent to her saying, "Who are you, stranger, to question MY father or attack his character?" For survivors of a decedent, this will gradually subside - especially if other fakes are not found.

One method to handle this is to deflect responsibility for buying the fake from "father" to "someone who cheated father." This points emotional animosity away from you and toward an invisible, but easily culpable, "person of low character." It also removes responsibility from the deceased father to a class or category of "others."

Edited by RWB

These instances I can understand some questioning/disbelief. A coin passed down from a collector whom in the recipients opinion knew what they were doing, and knew personally, is usually assumed to be authentic, without a doubt. Any opinion to the contrary is often met with great resistance.

I don't think non collectors understand how much junk we collect. xD It's very possible that this was a known counterfeit to her father. 

People who "discover" a coin and refuse to accept good sound advice are the posts that leave me scratching my head

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

On 1/18/2022 at 10:51 AM, Woods020 said:

But it seems sometimes there is nothing that will convince them.

This is evident in most "belief" structures and is endemic in extremist viewpoints of all kinds.

It does make me hate counterfeiters even more. The damage done is not only financial at the time of purchase, but can have ripple effects for future generations. Even if her father was fully aware and kept this to laugh at, without it being properly marked she now has the mental anguish of going through this process after a loss. Counterfeiters are really the scum of the earth in many ways. This is case in point of the importance of requiring proper identification of fakes. The line of where it should be required is debatable and not fully clear to me after much thought, but it is needed. 

Every couple months I get a call from someone who got my number off the PCGS/NGC dealer list. It is practically always a person who wants to submit common coins or a counterfeit. No matter how hard I explain that the AU clad Ikes they pulled from circulation are not worth more than face, they refuse to listen. No matter how many times I tell them that their 1776-dated dollar isn't real, they refuse to believe. 

If by chance they have something real, they will over value it by multiples of what it is really worth. That really worn common date Morgan dollar that came out of a slot machine must be worth several hundred dollars. After all, it's 130 years old. doh!

I will no longer deal with people who find my info on the dealer list.

I just found out that my father -- who suffers from occasional minor dementia/forgetfullness combined with an overwillingness to spend on things that aren't scams but just way overpriced -- spent a few thousand dollars in the last year or so on collector/presidential coin series that are mostly non-PMs and/or overpriced copper or silver. 

Today, PCS Stamp & Coin -- whoever they are -- mailed him via FedX a Gem Proof 2021 ASE in a PCGS slab "signed" by Emily Damstra.  They also included a wooden coin box to store 3 slabs in some red velvet-like holders commemorating the design.  $270 or close to it for the coin and box, billed in 3 installments.  I can't tell if that price is for 3 coins to fill all 3 slab slots or if it's $270 for 1 coin and the box.

Either way, it's going back. :mad:

On 1/22/2022 at 1:01 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I just found out that my father -- who suffers from occasional minor dementia/forgetfullness combined with an overwillingness to spend on things that aren't scams but just way overpriced -- spent a few thousand dollars in the last year or so on collector/presidential coin series that are mostly non-PMs and/or overpriced copper or silver. 

Today, PCS Stamp & Coin -- whoever they are -- mailed him via FedX a Gem Proof 2021 ASE in a PCGS slab "signed" by Emily Damstra.  They also included a wooden coin box to store 3 slabs in some red velvet-like holders commemorating the design.  $270 or close to it for the coin and box, billed in 3 installments.  I can't tell if that price is for 3 coins to fill all 3 slab slots or if it's $270 for 1 coin and the box.

Either way, it's going back. :mad:

Unfortunately this happens all too often. Many companies out there prey on older people making them think they are making a sound investment when in reality it’s a total overpriced rip off. Littleton is one of the worst in my opinion, and The Home Shopping Network seems to have a bunch of characters come through selling overpriced coins. 

On 1/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, Hoghead515 said:

In my opinion these crazy You Tube videos dont help getting peoples hopes up. And people dont take condition into consideration. Grandpas dateless buffalos are worth a fortune. 

Excellent point, they hype up the value and lead people to believe there are great rarities in every pile of pocket change!

On 1/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, Hoghead515 said:

In my opinion these crazy You Tube videos dont help getting peoples hopes up. And people dont take condition into consideration. Grandpas dateless buffalos are worth a fortune. 

Oh definitely, Hog.  You Tube is a plague on the hobby in that way.  Etsy also hurts because it is a platform for people to list up $50,000 parking lot errors.  People see those garbage listings and assume that their damaged, worthless coin is worth $50,000.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, Mohawk said:

Oh definitely, Hog.  You Tube is a plague on the hobby in that way.  Etsy also hurts because it is a platform for people to list up $50,000 parking lot errors.  People see those garbage listings and assume that their damaged, worthless coin is worth $50,000.

I agree. Every time I do a google search on a coin thats the first thing that pops up Esty adds for common junk with a $500,000 price tag. Google needs to do something about those adds being the first thing people see. Some people really believe that nonsense. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, Woods020 said:

Unfortunately this happens all too often. Many companies out there prey on older people making them think they are making a sound investment when in reality it’s a total overpriced rip off. Littleton is one of the worst in my opinion, and The Home Shopping Network seems to have a bunch of characters come through selling overpriced coins. 

Those multiple variations for the 2021 American Silver Eagle (I think there are 3 types ?) -- what do they retail for ?  Add in "Gem Proof" and the engravers signature.

Trying to figure out how much they marked up this stuff that my father was buying.

Having been in this situation maybe a half dozen times before -- doing a favor for a friend or relative by eyeballing, sorting, and advising on the disposition of (but never grading or "appraising") their inherited coins -- I've found that using words like "nice replica," or "collectible reproduction" is much less triggering.  Shattering the dreams and/or fantasies of friends and relatives is a sure way to fracture relationships, so I say let the people they eventually sell or consign the coins tell them what the coins are worth in the real world.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:08 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Same here. Lol.  Im flat broke. Down on my luck. Been sitting here thinking on how I can score a big GW for the collection. 

There's a song that goes something like that...

Money, I don't have any;

I'm down to my last penny....