• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request help with a VAM identification (possibly)

23 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone, I'd like to solicit your expertise in making a identification of a Morgan VAM. I think this 1892-S may have a S/S on the reverse, but it may be crud built up on the coin. The VAM designation would be VAM-5 S/S. I'll throw it out there for your critical review and look forward to your comments. Cheers, Chuck

1892S.Morgan.closeup.dimlight.jpg

1892S.Morgan.closeup.jpg

1892S.Morgan.obv.jpeg

1892S.Morgan.rev.jpeg

Woods020, Thanks for your question. I couldn't find a receipt for this coin. However, in my "Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars" I have hand written, "6/14/2013 $48.06" in the margin on the page for the 1892-S. I travel for work, so occasionally I'll visit coin shops in different cities when I'm on the road. I'm assuming since the amount was not an even dollar amount, I purchased this coin on one of my trips and had to pay local sales tax. What's your thoughts or concerns? Cheers, Chuck

Additional information: The coin weighed in at 26.4 grams and measured 38 mm diameter. With the condition and wear shown in the pictures, I'm thinking these are reasonable numbers.

Dimensions are within range, but I don’t like the look of it. I wouldn’t swear to it, but it’s questionable to me. Others may chime in and disagree, but I would have authenticity concerns from the pics. 

Woods020, I'll hold this one out until I can get my Sigma tester back from a friend. It wasn't attracted to a magnet, but more investigation is in order. If in the end it's counterfeit, I'll consider myself lucky it was only $48. I'm grateful for your help. Regards, Chuck

On 1/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, ChuckRayl said:

Woods020, I'll hold this one out until I can get my Sigma tester back from a friend. It wasn't attracted to a magnet, but more investigation is in order. If in the end it's counterfeit, I'll consider myself lucky it was only $48. I'm grateful for your help. Regards, Chuck

Let us know if it tests silver. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:15 AM, ChuckRayl said:

I purchased this coin on one of my trips and had to pay local sales tax. What's your thoughts or concerns? Cheers, Chuck

In my neck of the woods, nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming by state law can't charge sales tax on siver coins. Interesting ,wondering what state that was.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:47 PM, Hinkle said:

In my neck of the woods, nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming by state law can't charge sales tax on siver coins. Interesting ,wondering what state that was.

It varies by state. Several do charge tax. 

JP Mashoke, You are correct sir. I have bought coins from the Bay State Coin Co. in downtown Boston MA. And yes, they did charge me local sales tax. :grin:  Friendly and polite though.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, ChuckRayl said:

Hinkle, I live in Tennessee and they do charge sales tax on precious metals. Cheers, Chuck

https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en-us/articles/360058685571-SUT-121-Bullion-or-Gold-and-Silver-Coins

I have got some nice coins in Nashville at the CoinpursE and tax they do. 

On 1/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, Woods020 said:

Let us know if it tests silver. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

I finally got my Sigma Metalytics tester back and sure enough, this coin tested dead center for a Pre-1900 silver coin.

1892S.Morgan.test.jpg

I do not think it is a VAM 5 ... is that PVC residue?  maybe with that removed it would be easier to determain  

In your second photo the S looks like it was hit with something and, smashed it flat. No doubling imo.

Edited by jimbo27

On 3/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, JT2 said:

I do not think it is a VAM 5 ... is that PVC residue?  maybe with that removed it would be easier to determain  

Not being trained in conservation procedures, I'd be afraid I would do something that could damage it. Perhaps I'll just send it in and have NGC do the conservation work.

On 3/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, ChuckRayl said:

Not being trained in conservation procedures, I'd be afraid I would do something that could damage it. Perhaps I'll just send it in and have NGC do the conservation work.

Just keep in mind the cost of conservation and grading vs the coins FMV of about $350 in that condition (VF).

Edited by RWB

I was clearly wrong on this coin. Atleast to the extent it’s silver content is spot on. Maybe it’s the toning or whatever it is but I still just don’t like the look of this one. I’m happy to be wrong and I’m glad it worked out for the OP.