• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient #1
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Here is the first ancient coin I would like to have info on. After reading the thread by @JKKit got me curious to dig these out again. I tried to look them up before with no luck. Ive been meaning to post them for a long time. They may not be valuable but they are still interesting to me. Anything that old I find very cool. They may not even be authentic. My son got them for me a couple years ago. Hopfully they are not to banged up to identify. When it comes to this one Ive always wondered who was on the coin? And what the inscription meant? Also would love to find out other info on it. I love history and would love to learn some history behind this one. Once I have the basic info I may read up about that time period. About the person on the coin and what the times were like. May give me an understanding of what all that coin could have been through. Thank you for any info. My digital caliper woldnt work but it still had measurements to go by. From the widest point was around 19 to 20mm. 1.930 grams on the weight  

Here are some notes that could help you get started on this one. The bust is pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed right. Sizewise you're looking at AE 20 (could be found under AE 19-21--with bronzes, the number often refers to the diameter, and AE is what we say for copper-based composition, typically bronze). The obverse legend is kind of muddy and the easily read parts, like DN, are not uncommon. It is certainly from the first half of the 300s CE, in my opinion. The reverse legend might be GLORIA ROMANORVM and the distinctive design looks like the common fallen horseman (captive at bottom L), but the soldier holding the standard would be a good scanning point because they usually aren't. It might be a chi-rho (X over P--common symbol in early Christianity, as most Christian numismatists of the period will spot a mile off because even in our modern day it's still in use). If I were to suggest a good starting reign it would be Valentinian I, but could be someone else from that timeframe. The pearl diadem is a quick way to rule out an obverse--if it doesn't have that, it ain't your coin. So if you go Wildwinding, which I would encourage, seek the pearl diadem and the draping clasp on the obverse, soldier with captive and holding chi-rho standard reverse, probably the legend I mentioned earlier.

Thank you very much. You have encouraged me to look into this farther. Im definately gonna do some more research. Thank you for taking the time to look at it and give me that info. 

On 1/16/2022 at 2:28 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you very much. You have encouraged me to look into this farther. Im definately gonna do some more research. Thank you for taking the time to look at it and give me that info. 

Wildwinds is a good place to dig. It's set up by emperor and make sure you click the link to view it with the thumbnail images. Between that, and the fact that legends are rendered in all caps, you have a pretty good chance to find this one. So the logical method in this case is to start with Val I, show the thumbnails, feed the word "pearl" into your browser's search, and start scanning. Anything that doesn't say AE (silver is AR, gold would be AV) you can ignore. If the obverse looks like yours, look for cues to the legend (their example might very well be sharper). If you think you have a candidate, bother with the reverse and see if it's that soldier with captive and the standard. If everything seems to match up, see if you can get the exergue (indistinct letters at bottom reverse) and letters in fields. Fairly good odds you will find a match if you look through enough post-337 emperors.