• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991 penny ?

20 posts in this topic

It has been electroplated as a science experiment.

I hate this but….

Procedure:
  • Put 25 g granular zinc metal and 100 mL 3 M NaOH into a 250 mL beaker.
  • Heat the beaker on a hot plate until it begins to boil.
  • Add cleaned pennies to the bath. ... 
  • After about 1 minute, the pennies will be silver colored (zinc plated). ... 
  • Remove the pennies and rinse with DI water.

OR

dipped in Acid removing the copper plating revealing the zinc base, (probable)

Edited by Mr.Bill347

Hi Lisae!!

Welcome the the forum! Well, I'm with the others....your coin is definitely plated.  It's something that's done in a lot of high school and college undergrad chemistry classes.  We actually did it in my chemistry class in my junior year of high school....there were silver cents floating around for weeks after that!

On 1/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

It has been electroplated as a science experiment.

I hate this but….

Procedure:
  • Put 25 g granular zinc metal and 100 mL 3 M NaOH into a 250 mL beaker.
  • Heat the beaker on a hot plate until it begins to boil.
  • Add cleaned pennies to the bath. ... 
  • After about 1 minute, the pennies will be silver colored (zinc plated). ... 
  • Remove the pennies and rinse with DI water.

OR

dipped in Acid removing the copper plating revealing the zinc base, (probable)

Bill, thanks for the instructions. I tried it with a cent and it worked fine. Made a larger batch and dipped in the family cat. Again, it worked great and I now have the zinc plated cat posed next to the pair of Italian bespoke shoes it peed on.

:)

On 1/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, RWB said:

Bill, thanks for the instructions. I tried it with a cent and it worked fine. Made a larger batch and dipped in the family cat. Again, it worked great and I now have the zinc plated cat posed next to the pair of Italian bespoke shoes it peed on.

:)

I wish I could zinc plate my mother-in-law. 

On 1/16/2022 at 2:50 PM, RWB said:

Does she pee on your shoes, too?

No, but that would actually be an improvement over what she does do.  She's a malignant narcissist and a religious whack-a-doodle.  I'd take some urine soaked shoes over that, honestly.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, Mohawk said:

a malignant narcissist and a religious whack-a-doodle.

I’m hearing Greek Orthodox, or am I projecting from my own experience?

On 1/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m hearing Greek Orthodox, or am I projecting from my own experience?

Nope.  Catholic.  Extremist zealot, bigoted, conspiracy theory reading, believing and spouting Catholic.  Who is a malignant narcissist on top of all the rest of that.  She's a real party.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/16/2022 at 4:04 PM, Mohawk said:

Nope.  Catholic.  Extremist zealot, bigoted, conspiracy theory reading, believing and spouting Catholic.  Who is a malignant narcissist on top of all the rest of that.  She's a real party.

Ever know a zealous G.O.? It’s an experience!

On 1/16/2022 at 6:36 PM, VKurtB said:

Ever know a zealous G.O.? It’s an experience!

I never have, actually.  And I never want to.  I don't do zealot well at all.  They frighten me.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:37 PM, Mohawk said:

I never have, actually.  And I never want to.  I don't do zealot well at all.  They frighten me.

The only G.O.’s I met who had a sense of humor about the religion were my ex-wife’s uncle and the priest who married us. The uncle blocked for 1950’s Colts icon Lenny Moore in high school. Lenny’s evasiveness made Uncle George an all-stater. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, VKurtB said:

The only G.O.’s I met who had a sense of humor about the religion were my ex-wife’s uncle and the priest who married us. The uncle blocked for 1950’s Colts icon Lenny Moore in high school. Lenny’s evasiveness made Uncle George an all-stater. 

Wow.....at least you met two who had a sense of humor!! I've met Catholics who have been pretty chill about their religion, a lot of them actually.  But my mother-in-law is definitely not one of them.  I don't know if it's a symptom of the NPD or not, but she is very unpleasant on most topics, but her religion most of all.  She uses it to sanction some pretty bad attitudes toward people.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:49 PM, Mohawk said:

Wow.....at least you met two who had a sense of humor!! I've met Catholics who have been pretty chill about their religion, a lot of them actually.  But my mother-in-law is definitely not one of them.  I don't know if it's a symptom of the NPD or not, but she is very unpleasant on most topics, but her religion most of all.  She uses it to sanction some pretty bad attitudes toward people.

Ahhh...then a "true christian" she must be. It is much the same for all who claim superiority whether a "chosen people" or a "superior race." ...or an infallible numismatist. But --- they can be immense fun to tinker with -- in part because they rarely understand and think they've made a convert or acolyte.

Edited by RWB

On 1/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, RWB said:

Ahhh...then a "true christian" she must be. It is much the same for all who claim superiority whether a "chosen people" or a "superior race." ...or an infallible numismatist. But --- they can be immense fun to tinker with -- in part because they rarely understand and think they've made a convert or acolyte.

You nailed it Roger.  You've totally got her number right there.  I couldn't have said it any better.  My very existence messes with her......she's not very happy that her only child brought home a Kemetic Neopagan who is directly descended from East Germans, but she did.  She'll really love the Pagan wedding, I'm sure :devil: