• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting Custom Set to Competitive Set?

10 posts in this topic

Hello to all.  I created my (very large) coin set as a Custom Set (maybe a newbie mistake); of course this took a long time to do so.

Is there an easy way to convert my Custom Set to a Competitive Set (so that I can see what, "interest" level my set would bring)?  Of course, I am trying to do this without having to re-enter hundreds of coins...

Any insight or help would be appreciated - thanks much!

Once you have coins entered into your inventory you can start as many sets either custom or competitive as your coins fit into.   Just go to the NGC home page, select registry under the resources tab, select browse competitive sets and select a set that your coins fit into.   That could be a set for a series say a date set or a full date and mintmark set; or you could start a type set if that is a better fit.   You can use the same coins in multiple sets, as an example you can start both a date and a date and mintmark set with the same coins.   Once you have decided on which set to start just above the list of current sets you will see +create a set highlighted in green.  Click that and fill in the set name and info you want others to see and then click start set. 

image.thumb.png.7c6772905167864c4e2f5dede97d4694.png

You will then see all the slots and on the right side you will see a + in green that will also have a number, that number is the number of coins you have that could potentially be used in that slot, see this screen shot as an example.   You can add each coin by clicking the + and choosing the coin you want or use the autobuild set option also shown in the screen shot.   That automatically build the set using the coins that have the highest points for each slot if there are more than one coin per slot available in your inventory.   After you are finished you can then decide if there are other sets you wish to start and begin the process again.   It may take a few minutes for the first set but once you do one it will be very simple to start any additional sets you desire to start.

Have fun and enjoy the registry. (thumbsu

image.thumb.png.094dae18f41aba53b45509c4fa6e10f9.png

Edited by Coinbuf

On 1/15/2022 at 8:16 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Agreed. Time to play Rooster Chess!  🐓 

I appreciate your guidance - so (just to make sure), there is no, "easy way" to, "move" my custom sets to a competitive set - one by one add only, right?

On 1/15/2022 at 11:42 AM, CHunUSMC said:

I appreciate your guidance - so (just to make sure), there is no, "easy way" to, "move" my custom sets to a competitive set - one by one add only, right?

I will defer to seasoned veteran @Coinbuf on this one.  He's got the knowledge and experience.  (thumbsu

On 1/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, CHunUSMC said:

I think your tripping yourself up on a couple of verbiage issues, the first being the idea of "moving" your set.   Your current custom set is not moving or changing in any way, it will remain just as it is.   What you are doing is starting a new set (or sets) in the competitive section of the registry, nothing is moving you are just using those same coins to populate a new set.   And no you do not have to enter each line.   Read what I wrote again; I noted that you can use the autobuild option and that will populate each line that it can from your inventory of coins.   So once you select a set to start you click on the autobuild button that you can see on the top right of the second screen shot above.

Second I'm not sure that you are clear on how the inventory system works.   When you entered your coins in your custom set you were building your coin inventory at the same time, it is entering all that coin inventory information that takes time.   So that inventory is there and you are not going to have to enter each coin line by line for any further sets that you choose to start in the future.   The autobuild will automatically use the best coin from the coins in your inventory to fill every slot it can.   Let's say for example that you have two 1881-S Morgan dollars one graded MS65 and one MS64; the autobuild will use the MS65 coin as it has a higher point total.   However, if you want the MS64 coin in the set because you like it better you can change to it by simply clicking on that + sign at the right of each row and select the MS64 coin.   The registry is very flexible and provides you with many options on how your sets look and score.

I can start and autobuild a new set in four or five minutes at most, it really is very easy and once you build your first set I think you will understand it better.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

I think your tripping yourself up on a couple of verbiage issues, the first being the idea of "moving" your set.   Your current custom set is not moving or changing in any way, it will remain just as it is.   What you are doing is starting a new set (or sets) in the competitive section of the registry, nothing is moving you are just using those same coins to populate a new set.   And no you do not have to enter each line.   Read what I wrote again; I noted that you can use the autobuild option and that will populate each line that it can from your inventory of coins.   So once you select a set to start you click on the autobuild button that you can see on the top right of the second screen shot above.

Second I'm not sure that you are clear on how the inventory system works.   When you entered your coins in your custom set you were building your coin inventory at the same time, it is entering all that coin inventory information that takes time.   So that inventory is there and you are not going to have to enter each coin line by line for any further sets that you choose to start in the future.   The autobuild will automatically use the best coin from the coins in your inventory to fill every slot it can.   Let's say for example that you have two 1881-S Morgan dollars one graded MS65 and one MS64; the autobuild will use the MS65 coin as it has a higher point total.   However, if you want the MS64 coin in the set because you like it better you can change to it by simply clicking on that + sign at the right of each row and select the MS64 coin.   The registry is very flexible and provides you with many options on how your sets look and score.

I can start and autobuild a new set in four or five minutes at most, it really is very easy and once you build your first set I think you will understand it better.

Coinbuf - thank you, your guidance was great and my situation was exactly what you described.  My eligible coins have since been transferred to a competitive set.

Part of my confusion was that I have a lot of U.S. Mint proof sets, uncirculated sets and uncirculated (non-NCG) coins which are not, "competitive."

My story:  My Dad was a huge collector, collected many various coins, passed and then passed them to me - I am now just taking this set over (and am not wanting to simply go to a, "coin dealer" to value or sell them).

An unfortunate side to, "my story:"  When the State Quarters program first started, my Dad FULLY bought into the fact that this would be a grand investment/venture.  Unfortunately, as you know, this was not the case - I have several, several dozens of U.S. Mint wrapped/packaged State Quarters.  What are your thoughts on those?  Should I just hold them, pass them to my children, and hope they will have value for them or their children?  Or, will they likely never have true-value increase and find an outlet to sell them now (they do take quite a bit of space in my collection?

Thanks again ~

Craig

Awesome glad that you got it all worked out in starting your new competitive set or sets.

I wish I had a better crystal ball, mine is rather cloudy.   But my feeling is that the statehood quarters or any of the commemorative quarter series quarter rolls that were sold from the mint has a very low chance of ever being worth more than a couple of dollars over the face $10 in value.   There could be in some of the rolls a few individual coins that could be valuable; however the only way to know would be to open the rolls and see if any of the coins is an extremely high grade coin.   They would need to be at least MS66 for most of the coins in those series to cover the cost of grading/slabbing; and MS67 or higher to see a profit.   My personal guess is that most if not all the coins in those rolls would grade lower than MS66, but that is just my guess and I could be very wrong.

As you have said you are new to coins and this collection was left to you it may be difficult for you to correctly identify the difference in a coin that will grade MS66 vs MS67.   And just sending in everything would be cost prohibitive so that leaves you with some choices; first you could find someone (a collector or dealer) in your area that will review the rolls and recommend any that could warrant sending in.   The one problem with this is that you would no longer have rolls in the mint packaging and therefore any secondary market value for US Mint rolls would be gone.  Second you could just hold on to them and pass them on to your heirs and hope that these may increase in the future.   Or you could sell them now somewhere like Ebay; hope to get a couple of dollars over the face $10 per roll and move on.

In a quick random search, I found one seller selling 2003 P & D Illinois State Quarter Rolls - Uncirculated from U.S. Mint asking $25 (plus shipping) for the two rolls.   This is just one random search, and you will need to do more research to determine if some dates have more value than others.   I do not collect statehood quarters so I do not follow the pricing on these either individually or for the rolls.

I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but it really is a dice roll as to if these rolls left alone and saved will ever have much value in the future.