• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Post.........
2 2

50 posts in this topic

Hello and Welcome TJ!

It's always good to see new people here.  So, what are your collecting interests?  I'm sure we'd all like to know.

Thanks for the welcome gents!

The Neophyte Numismatist/Mohank-  Been collection since I was a kid with a paper route.   I'm not a dealer, trader, grader or investor, just a hobbyist. 

I guess my category of interest would be considered American classic coins.  I got hooked on completing and upgrading sets years ago.  Plus a type set, no gold.  :frown:   Filling holes in Whitman's and Dansco's.  I may not fit into this forum very well. I've been known to break coins out and fill holes with them. :grin:  Especially, the key dates...  Mostly for authentication.  Also, straight grades, no cleaned, damaged or detailed coins........if I can help it.     

I'm still learning how to manipulate thru this forum.  I'm not even sure if I'm in the right thread for this! :)

Thanks again for the welcome guys!  Glad to be here.

Edited by tj96

On 1/14/2022 at 9:30 PM, tj96 said:

Thanks for the welcome gents!

Mohank-  Been collection since I was a kid with a paper route.   I'm not a dealer, trader, grader or investor, just a hobbyist. 

I guess my category of interest would be considered American classic coins.  I got hooked on completing and upgrading sets years ago.  Plus a type set, no gold.  :frown:   Filling holes in Whitman's and Dansco's.  I may not fit into this forum very well. I've been known to break coins out and fill holes with them. :grin:  Especially, the key dates...  Mostly for authentication.  Also, straight grades, no cleaned, damaged or detailed coins........if I can help it.     

I'm still learning how to manipulate thru this forum.  I'm not even sure if I'm in the right thread! :)

Thanks again for the welcome guys!  Glad to be here.

I think you'll fit in just fine.  There's nothing wrong with cracking a slab if that's what you want for your collection.  You'll meet many people here who are into U.S. classic stuff.  I'm not one of them myself (I like Canadian, German and ancients.  Along with paper money from almost anywhere), but it's cool to have a diversity of collecting interests.  Most of us are just hobbyists here, like you.  I'd definitely fall into that category....I'm just an Educational Sales Coordinator that sells coins occasionally to feed my numismatic addiction.  As for learning the forum, the best thing to do is just explore and ask questions.  Most of us are very willing to help new people out.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:51 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Sounds like you will fit in just fine.

By the way - we like coin pictures. Feel free to post pics of the type coins, albums. or anything else you want.

That we do.  Pics are always welcome :) 

So will most of my post be in the US, World, and Ancient Coins forum?

Edited by tj96

On 1/14/2022 at 9:29 PM, tj96 said:

Maryland at the moment but I'm from N.Y.

I recently moved out of Philadelphia myself and headed back south. Looks like you have snow coming, so it’s good you have a new forum to keep you occupied 😂

On 1/14/2022 at 10:31 PM, Woods020 said:

I recently moved out of Philadelphia myself and headed back south. Looks like you have snow coming, so it’s good you have a new forum to keep you occupied 😂

Yes, and the people panic down here when the wind blows hard!!  xD

On 1/14/2022 at 10:29 PM, tj96 said:

So will most of my post be in the US, World, and Ancient Coins forum?

You can post wherever you like based on your inquiry or what you'd like to say.  It sounds like you're not a newbie to collecting, but this Newbie forum is a nice place to hang out.....you meet new arrivals here and can help new collectors by sharing your knowledge and answering their questions.  I enjoy doing both myself.  The US, World and Ancient Coins forum is also good.  You'll get the feel of where the best place for your posts are as you hang out more and interact with us.  It's one of those things that you learn by doing.  That's how it was for me, anyway.

I'm a native New Yorker and it's time for me to come out of the closet......I'm a total, 100% snow wuss.  I will go to great lengths not to have to drive in snow at all.  It scares the c*ap out of me!!! Thankfully, I work from home, so it's not a huge problem.  However, walking in it....that's a whole different story.  I've gone on many a snowy trek through wooded areas I could walk to in search of owls in the winter (I'm also a bird nut along with being a coin nut).

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/14/2022 at 10:34 PM, Mohawk said:

You can post wherever you like based on your inquiry or what you'd like to say.  It sounds like you're not a newbie to collecting, but this Newbie forum is a nice place to hang out.....you meet new arrivals here and can help new collectors by sharing your knowledge and answering their questions.  I enjoy doing both myself.  The US, World and Ancient Coins forum is also good.  You'll get the feel of where the best place for your posts are as you hang out more and interact with us.  It's one of those things that you learn by doing.  That's how it was for me, anyway.

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks for clarifying that.  I just don't want to get in trouble for posting the wrong thing in the wrong forum.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:38 PM, tj96 said:

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks for clarifying that.  I just don't want to get in trouble for posting the wrong thing in the wrong forum.

You won't.  We're a pretty chill bunch most of the time, and you're already fitting in with us well.  I think you'll be a valued member here for a long time.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:37 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm a native New Yorker and it's time for me to come out of the closet......I'm a total, 100% snow wuss.  I will go to great lengths not to have to drive in snow at all.  It scares the c*ap out of me!!! Thankfully, I work from home, so it's not a huge problem.  However, walking in it....that's a whole different story.  I've gone on many a snowy trek through wooded areas I could walk to in search of owls in the winter (I'm also a bird nut along with being a coin nut).

I thought just the opposite when I saw Canada and Finger Lakes in your signature block.  The Finger Lakes are beautiful up there!

I'm looking at your avatar, I can't make it out.  What I'm I looking at?

On 1/14/2022 at 10:38 PM, Mohawk said:

You won't.  We're a pretty chill bunch most of the time, and you're already fitting in with us well.  I think you'll be a valued member here for a long time.

Thanks!  I don't want any trouble from your guys!!  I don't want to get chewed me up and spit me out!!  :)

EDIT: HELP!  I'm at the bottom of this thread and there's nowhere to post an entry.

Hey guys-  Is there a reason I can't post? I'm logged in but there's no place at the bottom of my threads to post an entry.  Am I doing something wrong?

This is crazy!  I just received this.....484075146_ScreenShot2022-01-15at1_50_18PM.thumb.png.fb88c5b27c532ce89c4b34f49919b2f3.png

Edited by tj96

On 1/14/2022 at 10:44 PM, tj96 said:

I thought just the opposite when I saw Canada and Finger Lakes in your signature block.  The Finger Lakes are beautiful up there!

I'm looking at your avatar, I can't make it out.  What I'm I looking at?

Yep....you wouldn't think snow wuss from a native of the Finger Lakes and massive Canadiophile (thanks for the kind words about my home.  I love it when it's not filled with 8 feet of snow!), but yes....total snow wussy.  As for my avatar, it's the character Mohawk from Gremlins 2.  The Gremlins movies were my absolute favorite films as a kid and I thought he'd make a good online handle and avatar.  Here's a bigger version of the photo:

Mohawk_Pic.PNG.b2d57d36df403a98c13621fb1cb93769.PNG

On 1/15/2022 at 1:09 AM, Just Bob said:

It took me several months to figure out what Tom's avatar was. I was too embarrassed to ask.

I knew soon as I seen it. That was one of my favorite movies back when I was a kid in the late 80s and early 90s. lol