• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient coin

17 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 5:05 PM, Mom Boss said:

Please help me identify these coins 

7E7D8F88-95C3-4796-A117-494B69E34274.jpeg

95DBB6B4-5F6B-4080-BBFF-4DD520365D64.jpeg

I don't know but there are a lot of knowledgeable members here.  Be patient, and you'll get your answer.

At first glance, it looks like a Roman Denarius, but let's back up a bit. The best way for you to get an accurate ID is to repost your pictures - cropped and clear. Cropping will enlarge them a bit and remove all of the unnecessary background; improving the focus will help viewers to see the important details. Next, posting the weight in grams, and the diameter in millimeters, will go a long way toward helping to narrow down the hundreds of possible choices. There are a few very good ancient coin identifiers on this forum, (not me) and they will be happy to help you, if you will help them.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum! :grin:

Edited by Just Bob

On 1/14/2022 at 3:04 PM, Mom Boss said:

Thank you.. I will take better pictures and the weight tomorrow. Hopefully someone can give me some advice. What I do know is that it’s silver. 

How did you verify that? Not saying it's not, just want to know what has been done so far. My guess is it's Greek or Indo-Greek.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, JKK said:

How did you verify that? Not saying it's not, just want to know what has been done so far. My guess is it's Greek or Indo-Greek.

I agree with your assessment on the appearance, Jonathan......it looks like Greek or Indo-Greek.  But I think we need to wait for more information to really have what we need to establish it's true identity.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, Mohawk said:

I agree with your assessment on the appearance, Jonathan......it looks like Greek or Indo-Greek.  But I think we need to wait for more information to really have what we need to establish it's true identity.

This is why I said it looked Roman to me at first glance. I was just looking at some of these last week, and the OP's coin seemed to ring a bell in my mind. But you and John know much more about ancients than I do. Looking forward to seeing what it actually turns out to be.

Screenshot (13).png

On 1/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, Just Bob said:

This is why I said it looked Roman to me at first glance. I was just looking at some of these last week, and the OP's coin seemed to ring a bell in my mind. But you and John know much more about ancients than I do. Looking forward to seeing what it actually turns out to be.

It could well be, Bob. I was going mainly by what looked like Greek lettering on the reverse. But I'm not married to that first take. When we get the measurables, I'll take a look at my Sears and the shiny new Lindgrens wife got me for the holidays.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, JKK said:

It could well be, Bob. I was going mainly by what looked like Greek lettering on the reverse. But I'm not married to that first take. When we get the measurables, I'll take a look at my Sears and the shiny new Lindgrens wife got me for the holidays.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, Just Bob said:

Screenshot (13).png

Man, Bob....you're right.  It does look like it could be an earlier denarius!! Like Jonathan, I'm not completely invested in my first guess, either.  Jonathan....I know you have a much better research library than I do (but that's going to change once I start pulling in some good paychecks here soon), so I'm going to defer to you on this one.  It's definitely before the time where I'd consider myself versed in ancient coinage.

I’m a second had dealer.. I buy diamonds  gold silver coins currency and  memorabilia. I have testing kits for my gold and silver. I only did a slight test on piece and it test as silver. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:08 PM, Mom Boss said:

I’m a second had dealer.. I buy diamonds  gold silver coins currency and  memorabilia. I have testing kits for my gold and silver. I only did a slight test on piece and it test as silver. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:09 PM, Mom Boss said:

You all have been super helpful..!! And I greatly appreciate it. Thank you 😊 

Welcome to the forum ... Mom Boss  ..I don't think you ever got a definitive answer on what you really have in hand.? ........ Is close enough all you need for information ? .........There are members here who with enough information can determine exactly what people post for inquiry. But if good enough is all you need then by all means. Carry on... 

It's too bad it's illegal to simply pick up the phone and place a call to David Vagi, NGC's go-to guy on Ancients. I've never seen him stumped on anything brought into Rick's of Pawn Stars fame.  🐓