• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Half Dollar

19 posts in this topic

Hello , I have a 1972 half dollar, I see a cud were the FG innitials should be, do you think its  damage?

20220113_130615.jpg

20220113_130706.jpg

20220113_130337.jpg

Edited by Vero86
Try to add a clear picture

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's a little hard to tell from your photo, but if it looks like this one NGC will attribute it as NO FG under VarietyPlus Service:

820081-1.jpg

I really appreciate all your comments, I add another picture, I know the coin is circulated, but still I really do not see the FG

On 1/13/2022 at 3:31 PM, DWLange said:

It's a little hard to tell from your photo, but if it looks like this one NGC will attribute it as NO FG under VarietyPlus Service:

820081-1.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 10:23 PM, Vero86 said:

I really appreciate all your comments, I add another picture, I know the coin is circulated, but still I really do not see the FG

I may have misunderstood your inquiry, I was under the impression that you wanted confirmation on a cud/damage which is what most members answered about.   If your question is "are the initials missing due to damage" then that answer would be no.   Mr. Lange has commented that in his opinion your coin could be authenticated as a missing initial coin,; however I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost to have it authenticated and graded given the condition.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, Coinbuf said:

I may have misunderstood your inquiry, I was under the impression that you wanted confirmation on a cud/damage which is what most members answered about.   If your question is "are the initials missing due to damage" then that answer would be no.   Mr. Lange has commented that in his opinion your coin could be authenticated as a missing initial coin,; however I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost to have it authenticated and graded given the condition.

I did a little research and the 1972-D No FG seems to have some decent value.  According to the PCGS Price Guide, it's worth $275 in XF.  However, Vero's coin is lower than XF and I think B.C.'s right......I think I can see the "G" of the "FG" peeking out in Vero's second photo.  I'm guessing that this coin started life with at least the G and the heavy wear has impacted the visibility of the initials.  Vero's coin is actually one of the most worn clad Kennedy Halves I've ever seen, and it's actually interesting to me for that fact.  I wonder how such a little used coin type managed to get that kind of wear.....it's on par with Washington Quarters I see in circulation of a similar age.  Maybe it's a pocket piece........

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

You're best bet in making that coin valuable is to put it in your pocket and let it wear down to P01.  

Speaking of PO1...I'd love to see a Canadian nickel dollar in that grade.  That would really be something.  

Thank you al, and pronably the coin is like that because it was in the old jar that was given to me, and yes my initial question was the the cud, which  as it was corrected a die break, I did not know to much about the FG, until it was mentioned and read about it, sorry I dont have a microscope, my pictures are from my cel camera,  and not clear enough. 

Looks like I had been away from the hobby for some time. I kept every 1972 Kennedy Half Dollar I'd ever been given -- it was a watershed year for me, and could not recall exactly where the designer's initials were until I picked up my loupe.  Based on what I see, I cannot envision a circumstance that would allow wear to occur in such a localized "alcove" area protected as it is by high terrain on three sides. It's either there, or it isn't. 

I had no idea 1972 Kennedies were worth so much.  All of mine are sitting in a kitchen drawer. In my mind, a clad coin is incapable of attaining any value beyond face.  But, then again, I hadn't realized so much time (50 years) had transpired.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Looks like I had been away from the hobby for some time. I kept every 1972 Kennedy Half Dollar I'd ever been given -- it was a watershed year for me, and could not recall exactly where the designer's initials were until I picked up my loupe.  Based on what I see, I cannot envision a circumstance that would allow wear to occur in such a localized "alcove" area protected as it is by high terrain on three sides. It's either there, or it isn't. 

I had no idea 1972 Kennedies were worth so much.  All of mine are sitting in a kitchen drawer. In my mind, a clad coin is incapable of attaining any value beyond face.  But, then again, I hadn't realized so much time (50 years) had transpired.

There could be a story here like Rip Van winkle ,.................... Quintus's Kennedys emerge from the kitchen draw only to find there owner looks different somehow?  

Not sure if you're referring to  all 1972 halves, but just to clarify, 1972 and 1972D halves are worth face value.  A variety that carries a premium is the 1972D that's missing the designers initials on the reverse. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:47 PM, Vero86 said:

Thank you al, and pronably the coin is like that because it was in the old jar that was given to me, and yes my initial question was the the cud, which  as it was corrected a die break, I did not know to much about the FG, until it was mentioned and read about it, sorry I dont have a microscope, my pictures are from my cel camera,  and not clear enough. 

Your phone photos are perfectly fine and clear to the question you asked, far better than most microscope photos which give the viewer no perspective of what the viewer is seeing.

I cannot envision a circumstance that would allow wear to occur in such a localized "alcove" area protected as it is by high terrain on three sides. It's either there, or it isn't.

They aren't lost due to wear on the coin, but due to wear and polishing of the die.