• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My very first "First Discovery" coin has officially been attributed!!!

55 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

MD and DD happen at different times of production/process, the mint is not producing coins and discovering that they are DD during production. I don't think. The hubs and dies must be passing some sort of preproduction inspection and the doubling seen is not significant enough to either be detected or within tolerance. I don't know how far in advance they prepare/produce the working dies or if they are producing working dies simultaneously with coin production, so maybe it is closer to process variability. In the end these minor DD's are acceptable on some level and there is a lot of them.

Agreed. I don’t think a manufacturing process exists that doesn’t have tolerances. The most precise of components has some level of acceptable variability. It’s all a matter of how much is too much. I’m quite sure the mint would say these samples don’t fall out of acceptable range because they don’t spec to that level of precision under magnification. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:44 AM, Just Bob said:

At one time, NGC listed 100 different Formative Years Lincolns with doubling of the left thumb and fingers on the reverse. They have reduced the list to 8. Variety Vista still lists 76. 

Yes, @Just Bob, I remember this.  I think I have found probably 99 of the 100 different finger varieties on those 2009 Lincolns......haha.  I do have one of the more recognized ones (can't remember the designated number) that is an absolutely pristine gem I found CRH'ing.  I thought about slabbing it because I remember looking up the price when I found it. If I remember correctly, based on the grade I assumed it may get, it would have been very well worth it.  Just never got around to it though.  Like most things in my life these days..........🙄

On 1/12/2022 at 11:26 AM, Just Bob said:

And now, your name will officially be recorded for posterity as the discoverer of this variety. Pretty cool. :banana:

Thank you Just Bob.  I really appreciate you taking the time to make that comment.  I know it's just a very minor one, and there's a lot of them for this year, but I'm still pretty excited about it. Even though my final tally considering the cost of attribution, and now sending it to ANACS for slabbing ($$$$$), will "maybe" be what it's worth.  No idea about the value of this one (but then again, I really don't care.. cause I ain't selling it.....!! :)) Thanks again! (thumbsu  

Well now 2 surprises today. First, the site let me on and now 

Congratulations 🎊🎈🎉🍾. Dude what a great deal for you. It’s something that us little guys are cheering for. You take this and enjoy it!!  Really like the suggestion of pictures for your family and forum friends.  I have no problem with anacs they do a nice job with attributions as do our hosts. 
Awesome Mr Greg 😎

On 1/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, GBrad said:

I will probably send it off to ANACS to have it slabbed as a discovery piece since this is a very first for me.

I don't know if you still read the posts here as your last one was from earlier this year, but nice discovery and notch in your coin collecting belt.  The original post was from quite a while ago, but I seem to remember discussing a possible new variety you found and I'm glad it worked out.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, GBrad said:

They all know me as ... "Triple D".... haha

You make it sound like you will be putting on the WWE coin collectors division wrestling tights. :insane:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/1/2023 at 6:32 PM, Lem E said:

Glad to see you my friend. Been a while since I have seen the Squatch. Hope you are doing well. 

Hey LEM! Yeah, it' been awhile since I've been here on the group and thank you, I'm hanging in there.

The "Squatch"...haha.  It's kinda like: Do you really believe there's a Bigfoot roaming around in the wild...... or, sort of like another 43' Copper that just hasn't surfaced yet???

Trust me.....I really don't believe in that fairytale hairy beast thing 🙄, no more than I believe there's still another 43' Copper yet to be found..... (Hmmmmm.....OR DO I ......???? 🤔:)

On 11/1/2023 at 7:20 PM, J P M said:

Well take care of yourself Greg and pop in any time you need a laugh.

Love it JPM! I do need some good laughs these days. Thanks!

On 11/2/2023 at 12:34 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Cant believe I missed this thread when you posted it he first time. Congrats my friend!!! Sorry Im a little late. Great to hear from you again. 

Good to be back chatting again and thanks for the congrats! I actually looked at some coins tonight for the first time in over 6 or 7 months.  Hopefully I'll get back into it and come along with something to share. 👍