• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My very first "First Discovery" coin has officially been attributed!!!

55 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 2:56 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Dang  I just though of something .. Now I have another thing to look for when I am nickel hunting. Like I don't already have enough to look for................ Thanks Greg................LoL..  All kidding aside. Will you get that slabed by them with the attribution 

I will probably send it off to ANACS to have it slabbed as a discovery piece since this is a very first for me. I told my hometown bank about finding it in one of their Nickel rolls and that I had sent it off for attribution.  They all thought it was so cool that I found something (as minor as it is....) from their bank.  None of them are coin collectors but I think I have a few of the employees wanting to get into collecting since I've found, and shown them, some pretty cool stuff and DD's I've found from their bank rolls.  I know them all very well and they know me, very good relationships there.  They all know me as the "doubled die dude" or "Triple D".... haha.  I thought about putting it in a picture frame after having it slabbed and then having a little plaque engraved explaining what the coin is.  I'd enjoy for them to be able to display it on their wall BEHIND the teller counter for obvious reasons.  I think that would be pretty cool.  

On 1/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, Mohawk said:

Congrats, Greg!!! That's very cool.  All of that searching for DDs has paid off!

Thanks Tom.  I have been very fortunate and found my fair share of errors and varieties CRH'ing but this is the first of a kind for me having a new attribution.  

On 1/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

That's pretty awesome Greg!

Holly poop, that was #20 for that year/mint!?

Yeah..... there are definitely a lot of DDR's for that year.  In all honesty (which I wasn't going to mention) I was convinced this coin was a DDO which would have been a labeled a 001.  It's a long story but at least the reverse came through for me.  (thumbsu

On 1/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I would keep the coin for your family and give them a picture of it signed by you.

That's a pretty good idea J P!  Thanks! I wasn't going to actually give the bank my coin..... no way...haha, just allow them to display it until I wanted it back:).  I thought it might interest some others to maybe get into the hobby.  A picture is a great idea though. 

Thank you all very much for the congrats, I really appreciate it!  After searching through who knows how many coins, and finally finding something worthy of submitting even as minor as it is, it truly is a good feeling. Thanks!!!(thumbsu

On 1/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, GBrad said:

Thank you all very much for the congrats, I really appreciate it!  After searching through who knows how many coins, and finally finding something worthy of submitting even as minor as it is, it truly is a good feeling. Thanks!!!(thumbsu

Be sure to let us know how it does at ANACS, Greg.  I, for one, would love to know how it grades out.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:30 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Yes ,What we consider a DD like the traditional 1955 is not necessarily what counts now days . Quite a few of the DDO and DDR have no visible trace unless you have it magnified a lot. you have to be very through to find the stuff that the Variety sites have listed today. 

100%

It's amazing that 20 DDR's have been found! At this point I'm wondering if every working hub and/or die used had doubling. lol

On 1/7/2022 at 5:24 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

They probably didn't think that there would be an army of individuals looking for miniscule doubling, these minor DD's could be within acceptable tolerance as far as the U.S. Mint is concerned. How many of the now 20 for this date and mint mark would NGC or PCGS recognize? Zero. Still a good find though. (thumbsu

At one time, NGC listed 100 different Formative Years Lincolns with doubling of the left thumb and fingers on the reverse. They have reduced the list to 8. Variety Vista still lists 76. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:54 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Could the mint be treating it as process variability and not a process nonconformance? Maybe it's a similar scenario to machine (strike) doubling where the loose dies continue to strikecouns until the tech has time to make an adjustment (if you've worked on a manufacturing floor, you know exactly what I'm talking about).  If it's not considered a nonconformance, they don't usually stop the production line while waiting for someone to make the adjustment.  Downtime = lost production = lost revenue

MD and DD happen at different times of production/process, the mint is not producing coins and discovering that they are DD during production. I don't think. The hubs and dies must be passing some sort of preproduction inspection and the doubling seen is not significant enough to either be detected or within tolerance. I don't know how far in advance they prepare/produce the working dies or if they are producing working dies simultaneously with coin production, so maybe it is closer to process variability. In the end these minor DD's are acceptable on some level and there is a lot of them.